WHY are certain things amiss in a lucid dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

WHY are certain things amiss in a lucid dream?

Postby HAGART » 11 Sep 2012 09:40

Clocks are almost always telling odd times in a lucid dream. Sometimes a digital clock might read: 97:46, or an analogue clock may have a few extra hands.

Speaking of hands, they too are strange most of the time.

And of course words can look like weird, alien hieroglyphics too.

These three things tend to be the most amiss and unstable in a lucid dream for me and most others as I have been reading in these posts. Perhaps many things are and they are just the things we notice most of all, but still....

WHY are they amiss?
and What's the connection between them?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Re: WHY are certain things amiss in a lucid dream?

Postby Peter » 11 Sep 2012 10:20

For me its a lot more stable now, my hands look normal and words are sometimes readable so it is not as bad as it was.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Sep 2012 17:03

Peter wrote:For me its a lot more stable now, my hands look normal and words are sometimes readable so it is not as bad as it was

I just had an LD this morning that was the most stable yet. I specifically evaluated the quality and stability during the dream and was completely amazed at how solid and perfect it was. Truly unbelievable. It's one thing to wake up from a regular dream and say, "I should have been able to tell that was dream." while you're trying to remember the details. But it's another thing altogether to be saying that during the dream, trying to see if you can see a difference and then committing the results to your regular waking memory. I could on forever about it :D
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Sep 2012 19:59

I do see one connection between clocks and words. They are both 'read'. Although a clock uses numbers they have nothing to do with math and are read like words. I have heard that when asleep the part of our minds responsible for language is shut off, but I suppose if your conscious mind is fully activated clocks and words would be more stable. (But if language IS shut off how can I speak coherently in a lucid dream? Perhaps reading and speaking use different parts of the brain....)

I also think that the three things I mention tend to be reported as amiss by most people because they are simply noticed most often. If a building is a little bit weird looking and we never saw it before, we wouldn't think about it too much and just consider it a building in our dream. It still has the impression of being a nearby building and it feels like it. But since we know our hands so well and words and clocks must be exact to be legible we will notice any anomaly in those most of all.

That is my own answer to my own question, but what are anybody elses' theories?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

alppdcjr12

Postby alppdcjr12 » 11 Sep 2012 22:40

Anything in a dream is being created by you in your brain. That means anything visual that you look at twice has to be created by you--and will probably change when you look at it twice. The part of your brain that makes sense out of the world can't create things visually; it just derives sense from it. That's why when you look at a clock, even if visually you're not creating what should be there, you won't notice unless you're a lucid dreamer. The mind just projects meaning onto the images that the other parts of the mind come up with. I'm sure there's a more technical answer to describe the actual functions and which parts of the brain perform them, but that's as detailed as my understanding goes.
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”