Facial Recognition of Dream Characters

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Facial Recognition of Dream Characters

Postby HAGART » 11 Sep 2012 22:40

Whenever I meet someone in a lucid dream that speaks to me and I have never met in real life, I always make a habit of asking them their name and look at them to see what their face looks like. However, when I wake up, I can't really remember exactly what they looked like. I remember a general age, their gender and race, but can't for the life of me draw a picture of them if I tried. (If I could draw faces accurately, I still wouldn't be able to draw them.) I might be able to single them out in a police line up, but that is about it.
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Perhaps it is a lot like real life when you meet strangers at a party and when you wake up the next day you wonder to yourself... who was that guy?!
Last edited by HAGART on 11 Sep 2012 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

alppdcjr12

Re: Facial Recognition of Dream Characters

Postby alppdcjr12 » 11 Sep 2012 22:43

Yes, I've noticed that. The people I see in dreams generally have faces that change if I pay attention to them; often people I interact with switch between different people, as if I'm just interacting with my generalized other and testing out different personalities in that framework. On the other hand, there have been dreams where I did remember the faces, if I focused on them enough. Lucidity helps--maybe purposefully bring someone to mind and look at them? That's very interesting; I might just try finding someone I know and seeing if I can remember seeing their face. Or, someone I don't know.
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Sep 2012 22:49

Next time I should really take a good look and take note of their eye color, nose type and size, whether they have a cleft chin or not ect. I have a feeling though if I look at their face and analyze it, it will probably morph as you say. That happens to a lot of things in a lucid dream that I try to pay attention to.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

alppdcjr12

Postby alppdcjr12 » 11 Sep 2012 22:58

Yeah, the problem is that once you take note of the chin, you focus on the chin, forcing your mind to reconstruct everything else. Of course, it might be like clocks and letters changing--once you get used to doing checks and reconstructing the image, your mind will get better at it. But who knows? I heard of a meditation practice where you focus on the face of someone you love for as long as possible. Maybe practicing that and then trying it in a dream would give you more stable results, and although you'd have to be wary of the placebo effect of remembering their face from life and attributing it to the dream you just have, trying to in your memory place their face in the context of the dream you just had without placing it there from what you already know might reveal more about what's going on. Sigh, if only I had a machine to measure brain waves, then I could test whether the stimulation occurs in the same area of the mind when recalling visualizations from dreams or recalling visualizations from reality, same thing with a face from each, with an object from each...I wonder if research has already been done?
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”