Beginners: Lucid Dreaming is LOTS MORE than dream control

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lucidinthe sky

Beginners: Lucid Dreaming is LOTS MORE than dream control

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Sep 2012 02:44

I keep reading posts that seem to indicate that people think lucid dreaming is no more than learning how to control your dreams. Lucid dreams = dream control and that's all. I just want to correct that, just want to say to all the beginners and people who had never had the experience: Lucid dreaming is SO MUCH MORE than just controlling your dreams. It's experiencing a dream like you experience waking life. It's hard to imagine what that's like until you do it. Dreams can be a REAL world that you can explore. It's not a dream any more like you think a dream is. It's waking life while you are asleep. It can easily test your ability to believe it's happening.

If you want to know what it's like, sometime while your awake, imagine someone poking you on your shoulder and saying, "Excuse me, but you are dreaming right now." What would you do? How would you know they weren't right? You would probably deny it at first thinking to yourself, "Oh no, I can tell I'm not dreaming, this is obviously waking life." But suppose you couldn't tell. Then what? How could you prove it you were right? you might touch things (that's what I do) thinking that I can prove it for sure that way. But no, they feel exactly the same! You end up with: I guess I can't tell the difference!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

torakrubik

Re: Beginners: Lucid Dreaming is LOTS MORE than dream contro

Postby torakrubik » 13 Sep 2012 21:23

I've been considering writing a similar post, as many beginners seem to think that lucid dreaming is defined purely as dream control! I stress that 'lucid' dreaming is only defined by being aware in the dream that you are dreaming. The control and vividness are then linked to this, but not strictly 'lucid' properties.
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Sep 2012 22:47

torakrubik wrote:I stress that 'lucid' dreaming is only defined by being aware in the dream that you are dreaming. The control and vividness are then linked to this, but not strictly 'lucid' properties.

Yes, this is true, dreams generally become more vivid and able to be controlled when lucid, but the reality is that we all are controlling every dream so as you say, dream control is not lucidity. I am beginning to become aware of this function of control and can see it peripherally. I have acheived a level of control, but don't think it's that useful. I like the surprise element and much more interested in exploration of the new world.

It's important for people to know this, and it's not trying to diminish anyone's experiences which are very personal. I just think that there is lot more to experience for a lot of people. Dreams can be experienced in exactly the same way you experience waking life, not just controlled like switching channels on the TV.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Mr.Lucid

Postby Mr.Lucid » 14 Sep 2012 00:11

I am a newbie, but I understand about the deep connection between dreaming and the subconcious. I am glad you put this up so other beginners can know that lucid dreaming isn't all about the 'ego'. :D

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 14 Sep 2012 01:10

To add to this, not only is lucid dreaming about experiencing the dream world, it's also about experiencing yourself! Lucid dreaming provides you with a direct line to your own subconscious. You can learn things about yourself you otherwise would have never known.
The limits of the dream world are only capped by the limits of your own imagination! Beginners need to learn that, while flying and breathing underwater are cool, people need to think outside of the box. You can enhance your spirit and your daily, waking life, through experiences and things you learn from lucid dreaming.
I believe that, more than just exploring your mind, lucid dreaming could possibly be the next step in the evolutionary "chain".
We can learn new things and better our understanding of ourselves as people and maybe as a species!
Only time will tell.
The mind is a beautiful thing

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Sep 2012 01:30

I just can not get over how our minds are capable of a such an exact reproduction of waking life, a perfect virtual reality world. It doesn;t feel like a dream, it feels like you are walking from a dream into a real world. Entering into it is the most amazing thing, to watch a dream go from something like a movie to a real world is so unbelievable. Too bad we can't take people along and show them what we are talking about. I feel like the Mars Curiousity rover exploring another planet, testing things with probes and taking in the data.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Sep 2012 04:52

lucidinthe sky wrote:I feel like the Mars Curiousity rover exploring another planet, testing things with probes and taking in the data.

I do the same sometimes. It's not a true science that can be tested by others and get the same result (at least not the experience), however it can be explored like a new island or another planet that someone else has never been to. You can test various things and observe the life forms and take notes and record your findings, but others can only take your word for it. Sometimes I like to study lucid dreaming from within too.

I don't control too much of the 'world' in a lucid dream, but I do have free will and can control my choices. I was in a lucid dream once and was with my brother who doesn't lucid dream and I was showing him around. I was in a large, palatial room with high ceilings and I told him, "You see, this is what a lucid dream is like. I am seeing this for the first time just as you are and even I am amazed by it and don't know what is around every corner or behind every door."

I can only influence the dream to a degree and have never controlled absolutely everything.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Sep 2012 07:06

I dont aim to control the dream but will go about tasks or dream goals to see how they unfold. I dont see the point in controlling the dream as that kills the exploratory nature of my dreams.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 14 Sep 2012 18:44

I agree with Peter, controlling the dreams would take away from the fun of it! How are you supposed to explore if you already know whats going to happen? I just like interacting and influencing rather than actually controlling.
The mind is a beautiful thing

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Sep 2012 21:49

I agree. So far I've only tried to control my own actions which works the same way it does in waking life.

Right now I have been really careful not to change anything, just observe, test things, evaluate the world around me rather than using the dream to create fantasies which might come later. It's important for me to establish the baseline norms of the new world before potentially upsetting the balance. Want to check everything out completely before disturbing it in any way.

I just realized that part of what completely amazes me about the experience is the complete and total separation which occurs between my conscious thinking mind and the dream reality which exists and goes on without my direct control. That's another part of lucid dreams that is exactly the same as waking life. It's really mind-blowing for me. The waking world as we know it exists in a consistant way, regardless of our conscious thinking mind is doing. In non-lucid dreams the experience feels more integrated and I'm not sure how much of that separation people are experiencing. Now that I've been lucid dreaming for almost a year, I am starting to know that non-lucid dreams are really the same level of realness and separation we just are not able to evaluate it consciously while it's happening.

Return to “For Beginners”