Hello! I'm new and want to start with an important question!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Mezz

Hello! I'm new and want to start with an important question!

Postby Mezz » 15 Sep 2012 02:03

Hello Lucid Dreaming community!! :)

Just to introduce myself, I am 25 years old and have always been interested in my dreams. I've known about lucid dreaming for a bit, but most recently, I've started reading up on it and am more than fascinated--I'm nearly obsessed!
I've always been pretty good at dream recall, and I remember crazy dreams as a kid--I would have nightmares that I figured out were nightmares and would force myself awake from, but would still be paralyzed and terrified, not knowing why I couldn't move but thinking the evil characters of my dream had me tied down. I also remember all of my flight dreams, though there have not been too many. They are always my favourites. One of the first things I would like to do with lucid dreaming is fly! ;) (So other than as a child, no real lucid dreams--although I seem to recall sometimes realizing I'm in a dream, but not actually becoming lucid).

Anyway, before I do officially start lucid dreaming (I've been practicing my meditation and reality checks!), I had a question of a rather philosopihcal nature I want to ask of the community:
If lucid dreams seem as real to reality as you are describing, how do you not get lost in the idea of the real, waking world not also being just another dream? And I don't just mean needing to do a reality check, but that reality _itself_ is merely a dream, and nothing real is really real. I'm sorry if I've lost you or this seems like too odd of a question, but as odd as it may be, it's a real concern I am having.
If anyone else has experienced this way of thinking, could you please share any advice/wisdom on how you keep yourself grounded in reality/the waking world?

Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to being an active member!! :)

-Mezz
We are the makers of music, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Peter

Re: Hello! I'm new and want to start with an important quest

Postby Peter » 15 Sep 2012 03:13

They are the same but different might be the best way to explain without detail. Asking the questions mean you should have no trouble telling which state you are in
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Sep 2012 04:36

Mezz wrote:Anyway, before I do officially start lucid dreaming (I've been practicing my meditation and reality checks!), I had a question of a rather philosopihcal nature I want to ask of the community:
If lucid dreams seem as real to reality as you are describing, how do you not get lost in the idea of the real, waking world not also being just another dream?

Great question and thanks for asking it.

Reality in the dream world is my favorite part about it so I've thought a lot about this. The answer for me is that I get completely lost in the idea of waking reality being like a dream! And love it. It really has made me think about reality differently, but in a good way.

It's not that waking life can be confused with a dream, but dreams are easily confused with waking life. The whole concept of waking reality being created in exactly the same way as dreams is fascinating because we do create reality for ourselves whether it's from electrical signals from our 5 senses in waking life or completely fabricated in the dream world. So it's really the same reality in that sense.

But for me it does mess with my head a little, again in a good way. It's one thing to discuss it, but entirely another thing to experience it and the whole next day you're like, WTF was that!!! There is no experience like it. You can try to imagine what it's like when a dream becomes real, but nothing will completely prepare you for that moment when you literally step (with your feet) into the completetly real world of a dream. It's like walking through a curtain into a 3 dimensional, touchable world, you feel the ground under your feet and look around in disbelief. Saying to yourself, "Where am I and how the heck did I get here?" Sorry if I'm going on too much, but my last one was the most amazing yet, still euphoric, days after.

Good luck and hope to hear you sharing your first LD soon!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Mezz

Postby Mezz » 15 Sep 2012 06:55

Wow thanks so much!! Amazing reply :)

I think that's why I'm so fascinated with Lucid dreaming, despite my fear--I am honestly so excited to live my dreams. I know I have quite the imagination, so it could be so cool to see what I can do with it in a dream where I am aware. I've had plenty of stories going on in my head over the years, but there's always that level of physical disconnect, since my senses are not ACTUALLY engaged, just my thoughts and imaginings. But if lucid dreaming is really both... wow. I am so fascinated by the potential.

I'm glad to hear your positive take on something that really messes with the head!
Hope I can report an awesome LD soon! ;)

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Sep 2012 07:14

Another completely amazing aspect to lucid dreaming is the complete and total separation that occurs between "you" the conscious, thinking deciding person in the dream and the dream world itself which goes on by itself independantly of your thoughts, ideas, etc. It's completely mind-blowing. I had a fabulous lucid dream in which I spent a great deal of time swimming in pool wondering if my body was moving around in bed as I waved my arms through water and felt everything exactly the same way it would be in waking life. These are experiences you remember as if they occured in waking life, the memories are not at all like typical dream memories. It's truly unbelievable. In my one first really good ones I was sitting at this table with a group of people, thinking to myself "this is a dream?! No way!" Then I had to keep telling myself: "do you remember how you got here?...This is too far from home...you couldn't have driven so here so quickly...O.K. stay calm, don't mess it up" I'm having these thoughts at the same time people around me are having conversations. The entire time of was full of these lingering doubts because it was so freaky. Whatever you can imagine, it's 100 times better, believe me.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Mezz

Postby Mezz » 16 Sep 2012 06:21

Wow. That really does sound... yeah.
I honestly feel a little scared about having my first lucid dream. Is it kinda terrifying that first time, feeling you're in a real world but realizing you're dreaming? Can it really mess you up, even when you finally wake up for real? Am I just worrying for nothing about this? :p

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 16 Sep 2012 06:49

Absolutely nothing to worry about, no one has ever gotten messed up from a lucid dream, when you realise you are dreaming you get a rush of excitement really, its awesome. You know its a dream and you know exactly what is going on, its completely harmless really. Its like being aware of your own thoughts. Think of it like you are realising that you are day dreaming, really no harm at all.

As for your first question in your OP, we also have another topic asking a similar question to this, dont be afraid to check out the other subforums on this site a lot of people just stick to the beginner section for some reason and never move on, i moevd to the other subforums as soon as I joined and it seemed to speed up the process of lucid dreaming.

Anyway when you are in a dream becoming lucid you know for sure its a dream, or sometimes you will be a bit confused as to whether its a dream or not. However when you wake up, you are NEVER confused about whether its a dream, you always know (at least in my experience) that you are 100% in waking life.

Another question to counter yours, if waking life was just another dream and you did wake up, how would you know that isnt a dream? In other words, what would satisfy you that you are in reality?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 17 Sep 2012 03:40

There's really nothing to worry about, its completely natural.

If it's too much for you to deal with, waking up from a lucid dream is usually easier than non-lucid dreams beacuse you realize that you are in control and making the decision. But you once you become lucid, you will probably be doing everything you can NOT to wake up and the unfortunate truth is, most people get super-excited on their first lucid dream so you are more likely to wake up before you want to than anything else.

It doesn't mess you up, but it will make re-think your concept of reality. It's really a good thing though so don't worry!

It's also fairly diffcult for most people to do, so don't worry about overdosing. You'll probably lose any fear you have now by the time you have your first.

Mezz

Postby Mezz » 18 Sep 2012 05:44

Thanks again for the great replies!!

Jack Reacher -- I actually have been checking out a few of the other sections! Though I don't think I've come across the one you're referring to--where might I find this topic?

And as for your counter-question: Touché!!

lucidinthe sky -- Thanks again for putting my mind at ease :)
No lucid dreams yet, but I'll let you guys know when I do! (Hopefully sooooon!)

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Sep 2012 20:41

Here is the topic
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2319

That was just a generalisation about begginners on this site, wasn't meaning you directly. I guess most of them lurk the other sections but dont post yet.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Return to “For Beginners”