Questions for Rebecca

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 02:11

dreamer45 wrote:What is the Best position in Wild?

I find lying on my back is ideal, so that no part of the body can have blood cut off.
More info at: www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/best-sleep-posture.html

In the case of a DEILD (which is a type of WILD) just stick with whatever position you wake up in.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 02:12

polkadotboat wrote:Will the Gateways of the Mind Conference ever come to America?

It's hopeful! They are just starting out and if this event proves to be a success they do plan to go international.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 02:14

fistania wrote:Hi Rebecca, i'd like to ask you some question.

is it possible to discard our bad habits with lucid dreaming? if it probably is, how do you think i should do that?
for example, if i have a bad habit of stealing something (just an example!), will it do if i meet with my "stealing urge"/"part of me who loves to steal" and 'kill' them? or maybe just transform them into a form of child? or maybe if i give love and show some compassion, will it stop or will i become 'accepting' to that part of me? or should i just talk to them about it (i think it'll need some time in the dream)? i don't think to ask question such as "why would you steal?" implies here, since the bad habit is not stealing or something that needs a deep reason.

ah yes! you can use "smoking addict" for example, since it doesn't need any deep reason to do it. and if possible i'd like to avoid using the method that 'kills' my self ^^;

thank you :) sorry if i'm missing something here

Yes I think it's totally possible if you work at it. Like therapy in the waking world, lucid dreaming offers therapy in the dream world, dealing with the problem at the root cause.

I was a smoker for several years and never thought to use my lucidity to quit! I wonder if anyone is willing to experiment with this for us...?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 02:17

croonerkid01 wrote:Hey Rebecca, this morning i got up walk to my bedroom door and then woke up in my bed so i thought i must of been dreaming. So then i got up and open my door again and then woke up once again in my bed this repeated 4 more times after that i just gave up it was quite scary it was like i was trapped in my room but luckily my mum woke me up haha. I think it might have been because i had a lucid dream last night and i went to sleep quite late so my body must have been tired so even though im thinking of getting up my body refused to.

I think it was a false awakening but it happened 6 times and probably would have been more if i tried to get up again.

What would you say this was?

Definitely sounds like a false awakening to me. Next time you get trapped in this loop (or any time you wake up), try to remember to do a reality check. A really good, definitive one. And really question whether you're awake or not and don't let go until you can prove it on several levels. Multiple false awakenings can become very confusing but once you conclude you must be dreaming, it can lead to a great vivid lucid dream. More info: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/false-awakenings.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:01

BtheDestroyer wrote:Rebecca,

Is there any way to implant, remove, or change a memory in your subconcious through a lucid dream?

if so, how?

Another thing is, is there any way to change the way your subconcious thinks in the real world through one?
such as changing an instinct or giving yourself a different mindset

thank you for your time,
BtheDestroyer

Implanting a memory via a lucid dream... sounds like Inception! 8-)

You can re-live memories through lucid dreams, and through manipulation of the memory, end up tweaking it, just as you would by remembering something in waking life. Memory is highly subjective and not at all "photographic" or as factual as we'd like to imagine. So an re-imagining of past memories can distort them, and this is usually unintentional.

However I have never heard of anyone implanting or completely removing a memory via a lucid dream. Like a regular dream, there is no real mechanism in place for this. I don't see lucid dreaming as a backdoor for literally re-coding your brain like a computer. Although I do see it as a therapeutic tool that can help shape your beliefs and therefore behaviors. But I am not a psychologist so couldn't definitively say what's possible. Maybe in mental illness like schizophrenia this sort of thing does happen - false memories are created (for instance, not knowing what was real and what was dreamed). But I don't think a healthy mind could be tripped up like this on any meaningful level.

Your second question - changing the way your subconscious thinks - I do believe is possible, not just through lucid dreaming but through a conscious desire to change. If you are determined to be a more optimistic go-getter, for example, you surely could shape your thoughts using behavioral techniques, NLP, hypnosis, etc. And there could well be a place for this in lucid dreaming too, such as talking to your dream self while lucid and asking for this change to come about. It's an interesting area to explore and I'd encourage this in whatever way you feel comes most naturally.

However as I mentioned above, lucidity can be a therapeutic tool but is not a way to flick certain psychological switches on and off. The mind is conceptual, not mechanical, so you have to work on those terms.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:08

joegibson12 wrote:Hey Rebecca,

Today I tried the relaxing into a lucid dream technique with some nice cricket type abience. I imagined myself in Spain with the girl I liked and slowly I noticed my body going numb (For about 6 years every few months I've been having sleep paralyse but I want to lucid dream and overcome the fear I have when I wake up like that) but anyway I told myself it's okay, your going to lucid dream just relax. So I continued to relax and was actually enjoying the relaxation, occasionally I'd open my eyes and feel so relax, just lying there. Anyway the whole Spain scenario soon died out and moved onto the hunger games for some reason and imagined myself as one of the contestants. But this time a few minutes in I heard a noise, music playing and it immediately startled me. I tried to relax and stick with it but only after a few seconds I had a shiver down my spine and forced myself to move about and said "I'm awake".
So I was wondering, if I continue to stick with this technique can I overcome the fright I had when I heard that and continue to go further into lucid dreaming? I think it's because I'm so involved in my daydream and being so relaxed it catches me of guard and startles me. Any ideas on what I can do to get over this? I'd like to experience lucid dreaming and this seems to be something in the way at the moment. Thanks :)

You're doing great. I can definitely relate to this. Early in my lucidity development and while practicing OBE techniques I would get startled by noises, voices and vibrations in my most relaxed moments. These are audial hypnagogia which are simply imagined sounds coming from inside your own brain. They can be very loud and realistic which is why they're so startling! But with practice you will become used to them and they actually mark the transition state which is very close to a lucid dream. So vow that next time you hear the hallucinatory sounds just remain calm and go with it. There is nothing to fear, it's just your brain taking you to new places! Practice will make perfect ;)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:11

Sander wrote:Guess i'll have to post my questions here, since i'm not getting much response on the topics that i create...

Ok firstly: some time ago, i woke up from a dream, fully remembering it, and seeing strange shapes appearing, changing shapes and dissappearing again. This must be hypnagogia i presume? I tried to stay calm and observe them, as i've read that this state could lead to a transition into a lucid dream. This was very hard to do, as i was having a very hard time keeping my eyes closed and my eyelids were shaking like crazy. I had to focus on keeping them closed, rather on the hypnagogia and i lost it. Can you explain what happened here?

You can't force hypnagogia and sometimes it will just disappear as you become more alert. My guess is your brain became active and you started waking up. If you have to fight to keep your eyelids shut, it's a no-go. Don't worry, you'll have other chances.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:21

Sander wrote:Secondly: i would like some information about vitamin B6 usage to increase dream vividness. I bought some 250mg capsules and the pharmacist told me to ingest them during a meal. But i always haver dinner around 6:30 PM. Isn't it a little to early to be taking a capsule? What do you think is the best time to take one? And how about the amount? I took half of the capsule 2 times (so that would make 125mg) but that didn't increase dream vividness for me.. on the contrary, i didn't recall anything of my dreams. Should i take the full 250mg?

A 100mg supplement is a basic dose to increase your dream intensity. I haven't used B6 very much because my dreams are plenty vivid! But it is a known intensity booster so I recommend it for those who are stuck with vague dreams. As with any supplement, the dose affects everyone differently and you could play with it to find what works best for you.

How it works: vitamin B6 converts Tryptophan into Serotonin, which is what produces much more vivid dreams. So, as well as taking your B6 pill, eat foods containing Tryptophan to give it some extra fuel (cheddar cheese, chicken, salmon, lamb, eggs, white rice, flour and milk). These are best eaten a few hours before bed. It is not recommended you take more than 200mg of B6 per day. For more info see: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-b6/NS_patient-b6/DSECTION=safety

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:27

Sander wrote:Third: A question about isochronic tones. I listened to the 5 minute sample of the lucid dreaming mp3 by Meditation Power you suggested on your blog. Is this it? Or is there a large variaty of sounds that follow in the 40 minute recording? It just sounds like water flowing. If there's nothing more to it, then i could just sit by my pond while meditating.

This is the sound you'll hear all the way through. But if you learn how brainwave entrainment works, you'll see the water sounds you hear consciously are just to mask the white noise entrainment that's doing the real work. You won't get that effect by sitting by your pond, unless you are an experienced meditator. I recommend isochronics for people who find meditation foreign or difficult. Please read how my review to learn how isochronic tones work: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-mp3.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:29

Sander wrote:Lastly: When listening to the lucid dreaming mp3 included in your fast track, should i actively visualize what the narrator is saying or should i just sit back and listen to it?

Yes, actively visualize! This is how hypnosis works.... ;)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”