Questions for Rebecca

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:32

Legion wrote:Hola,

So I've been having a problem of not having any lucid dreams after my very first one ( About a month or two back? ) , I have been using MILD's but they dont seem to work for me, which brings me to my question , When attempting a WILD , do i absolutely have to do it from a relaxed state , (Waking up at like 4?) , or can i do it at the times that i usually fall asleep?

Thanks

You can attempt it any time but you'll probably find with practice that the small hours of the night are the best times. This is because your body is so deeply relaxed from hours of sleep, the hormones of sleep are released, you're about to start lengthy periods of REM (dreaming)... the conditions are just ripe which makes it much, much easier to induce a WILD. By all means practice at other times to compare the difference and see for yourself, it will give you a better understanding of what signs to look for ;)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:43

kiuytrd wrote:Well here is something that is a bit embarassing but ill say it... Im a bit terrified of hearing things while in the hypnogogic state... I REALLY dont want to hear strange sounds... Im also afraid of hallucinating while in sleep paralasis... Im not sure WHY im afraid but i just am... What can i do to get over these fears? Im sure you might not know how to answer this and i understand. Im just looking for advice. :)

Why are you afraid of the sounds? If it's any reassurance, the sounds themselves aren't scary or fearsome - just surprising because you weren't expecting them! As a recent poster said, the sounds at first will probably startle you from the trance. And then you are awake, aware that you just heard something. It's just like waking from a dream... aware that you were just "somewhere else". Nothing to be scared of there ;)

As for visuals, I can see why this might bother you. But only some people hallucinate during sleep paralysis, and that's something you either want to explore or not. It's not something I've really had to deal with. I seem to go through sleep paralysis very quickly and often barely notice it as a physical sensation. I am already zoned in on another location in the dream world, I don't focus on my bedroom at all. The rare hallucinations that have taken place in my bedroom have not affected me because I knew I was bringing it all on intentionally and it was all just a dream. Emotionally, I've tried to be more of an outside observer during this state. Try to be detached from the experience if you think it could overwhelm you.

I know that some people do experience fearful SP hallucinations so I won't say I can guarantee your experience to be 100% positive. All I can say is don't spend too much effort worrying about what could "go wrong" when there is a chance you won't even notice it! Even if you do find you are susceptible to SP hallucinations, you can make a choice to stop inducing this state for WILDs, or you can use other people's research to deal with it - Ryan Hurd offers a wealth of info. Check out his excellent book on dealing with sleep paralysis and turning it into lucid dreams: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis-nightmares.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 07:59

tophergdavis wrote:I learned about lucid dreaming right around two months ago and have been solidly using many of the techniques taught on this website since day one, such as keeping a dream journal, multiple reality checks a day, at least one meditation a day with isochronic tones, and self hypnosis. I have tried the MILD, WILD, and the WBTB techniques, all of them fruitless. I even eat bananas, and cheese with a glass of milk and take a B-6 pill when i wake up for the WBTB technique. I'm not sure where to go from here. some people on the forums told me to slow down a bit and stop trying so hard, which I have done. Your 10 step e-course also did not get me any closer to the ever elusive LD.
I feel like I have tried everything possible short of spending money on the fast track, high quality isochronic tones or calea-Z (which is out of the question due to finances). Is there any advice you can give me. I feel very stuck and discouraged. :cry:

Sorry to hear it. I'm sure it's frustrating that you put all the effort in and not got anything out yet.

This is also frustrating for me to hear too, because it's a question I can never really answer when a stranger asks me why it's not working for them. It's like saying you practice playing guitar every day and have all the books and learned all the chords but still can't play a particular song you really want to learn! But WHY!

The missing ingredient could be any number of things - for instance in this article I identify 10 common reasons why beginners fail: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/10-mistakes-made-by-beginner-lucid-dreamers.html The first four may be of particular interest. I can't predict which applies to you... but you may be able to if you look critically at your situation.

You mention taking supplements and eating dream-intensifying foods to no avail - does this mean you don't remember your dreams in the first instance or aren't having vivid dreams of any sort? This would be a major stumbling block. There is no point practicing any lucid dreaming techniques if you don't have good dream recall to start with. So that is what you should work on first.

Beyond this, being able to lucid dream is a mindset you acquire based on improving your awareness of dreams and reality. Are you improving your meditation skills to this end? Do you relish finding time to meditate? This was a big help for me. The more introspective I became, the more energy I poured into examining my dream life and exploring the sleep-wake border. It all pushed me towards greater lucidity.

Sorry I don't have a magic bullet solution... I'm afraid there must be something tripping you up but most likely you are the one who will have to identify it if you're going to progress. If money is an issue, try the public library for a copy of Stephen LaBerge's book on lucid dreaming, or buy a used one on Amazon from $2.98 http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-World-Dreaming-Stephen-LaBerge/dp/034537410X/ref=as_li_tf_mfw?&linkCode=wey&tag=woroflucdre-20 This is what got me started... maybe it can get you started too.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 08:07

Nathan wrote:Hey Rebecca,

I would first like to say that this website is excellent and extremely well - done. Secondly, I was wondering if it was possible to lucid dream everynight by asking your subconscious.

Thank you

Thank you!

I have asked my subconscious to give me more lucid dreams while lucid, and also while under hypnosis and during my guided meditations before sleep. I think it definitely helps incubate more lucid dreams but don't think it will guarantee lucidity every night; the conditions, both physiological and psychological, aren't always right (for me, anyway...) and there are still plenty of nights I don't lucid dream.

So, yes it helps! Lucid dream incubation is powerful. But don't pin your hopes on every-night lucidity. I don't know why people get so hung up on this anyway.... one lucid dream a week is enough to blow your mind!

Sander

Postby Sander » 18 Sep 2012 08:09

thank you for replying, Rebecca :)
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 08:12

Luna4277 wrote:Hi Rebecca,
I would like to know is it possible to dream that you are having a lucid dream? Around last week, i had a "lucid dream" but I put it in quotes because i couldn't tell it was a lucid dream. I figured in a lucid dream, you feel it like you would in real life (and i could be very wrong). In this dream, i could tell i was conscious because i could see myself rubbing my hands together to ground myself in the dream and making things appear in my hands out of thin air, but it wasn't like what i was expecting. So since a person can dream that they are performing astral projection without ever actually doing it, is it possible to dream that you are having a lucid dream (I don't mean to get all Inception-like)

Hmm......! Tricky one to answer but yes it is entirely possible to dream about lucid dreaming, why not? The way to tell is if you - at ANY point, even for a second -

a) realized you were dreaming, ie - knew you were asleep in bed not in real life
b) consciously willed something to happen, and it did

Then you were lucid ;)

If you just dreamed of rubbing your hands together because you had read about this, but you weren't consciously doing it in order to make your dream more vivid, then it was just an act of going-through-the-motions. This would not be definitive proof of lucidity.

Hope that helps

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 08:14

MermaidMelodies wrote:I'm the kind of person that goes into sleep paralysis naturally from time to time, and knowing that sleep paralysis can be a way into a lucid dream, I was wondering how to keep yourself in sleep paralysis until it eventually turns into a WILD lucid dream? My prediction of my problem is ending up an inconstant breathing pattern due to getting excited, because I only go into sleep paralysis about 1 or 2 times a week, but I'm not sure, should I also try to visualize better?

The very short answer is to visualize your desired dream and mentally project yourself into it while sleep paralysis is happening.

A much better (longer) explanation is here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis-nightmares.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 08:20

kdariboy wrote:so i just heard of this "fild" (finger induced lucid dreaming) technique. ive tried it 2 days in a row without any success. people find it easy without practice. Any suggestions?

I'm yet to use this one successfully (admittedly, mostly for lack of trying) so I can't explain how or why it works. It seems to be just one additional element to DEILD / dream chaining - http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-exit-induced-lucid-dreams.html - so I would focus on working that technique first, then incorporating FILD into it.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 08:23

polkadotboat wrote:Hey, so I think I might've had my first lucid dream... maybe not... I knew I was dreaming the entire time, but i dont think I was lucid. Rather, I think I was dreaming about lucid dreaming. Is that possible? Did I have my first lucid dream or was it just a fluke?

Just answered this same question from another user ;)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=500&start=210#p11382

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 18 Sep 2012 08:26

dreamer45 wrote:in Wild it takes 20-30 minutes to fall asleep.Can i take sleeping Peels and do the WILD technique and make the method faster or fall asleep faster?????

I've never taken sleeping pills but I understand they create a pretty deep, dreamless sleep. If this is so, you won't be having any vivid lucid dreams on sleeping pills..... so this would be a no-go for WILDs.

Especially as you'll lose consciousness with pills, which is the very thing you're trying to maintain! I'm just thinking out loud here but to me it sounds very counter-intuitive.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”