OBE vs. Lucid vs. Astral Project

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

Re: OBE vs. Lucid vs. Astral Project

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2012 11:54

Yes, Jack Reacher pretty much helped me to understand your stance... and the stance is not a crime either. It's very human. I apologise if I came across as a little aggressive there, KylePK. I once was curious too.

I also thought that there was something more, that it wasn't just lucid dreaming... hence the moniker "Summerlander" from having had an amazing experience where I went to Summerland ("upper astral" in Theosophist/Spiritualist/New Age literature).

I left my body and went through a mirror that led me to another world. I saw cottages like out of a fairy tale land. I saw rows of well-groomed trees, a river, a golden city, it was so colourful and beautiful and I felt so much love and harmony. But today I see that my lucid dreaming mind was playing on the idea of a higher heaven.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 18 Sep 2012 07:10

Summerlander wrote: I also thought that there was something more, that it wasn't just lucid dreaming... hence the moniker "Summerlander" from having had an amazing experience where I went to Summerland ("upper astral" in Theosophist/Spiritualist/New Age literature).

I left my body and went through a mirror that led me to another world. I saw cottages like out of a fairy tale land. I saw rows of well-groomed trees, a river, a golden city, it was so colourful and beautiful and I felt so much love and harmony. But today I see that my lucid dreaming mind was playing on the idea of a higher heaven.

That sounds amazing! And you were fully conscious there, as if it was waking life? It amazes me that people can lucid dream like that. That is my goal. To induce a dream so realistic that it can easily be mistaken for reality, whenever I please.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Sep 2012 07:25

I feel that is where the issues come from in deciding what is what. Like Summerlander I have had hundreds if not thousands of lucid dreams and obe's and astrals etc( whatever you want to call them) and they are all real and after time they are another life and another reality just like this one but with a few different rules and it this experiences that forms our opinions and why they are so strong at times and why I think it is all exploration of another state of mind and the terms are just annoying and box off rather than enhance this exploration.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Sep 2012 14:43

It had such an impact on me I had to draw it ^^^

I still refer to it as my Summerland experience today!
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Sep 2012 20:41

a nice warm scene, thanks for sharing
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 21 Sep 2012 07:03

Summerlander wrote:Image

It had such an impact on me I had to draw it ^^^

I still refer to it as my Summerland experience today!

Holy shit, thats incredible. The drawing that is. What you actually saw must have been just... wowza.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Sep 2012 21:56

It was. I was even more freaked out when, in a book about the afterlife, the spirits of the dead were allegedly telling their loved ones where they were through a medium. Cottages, rainbows and bright colours came up. I read this a few weeks after the experience. The experience itself had such an impact on me that its memory will remain with me forever... unless I bump my head hard enough. :mrgreen:

The drawing is just a poor depiction by comparison. What I saw was incredible. I wanted to live there forever. It seemed mind-expanding too (apart from a sense of harmony). It was truly psychedelic. Shame we always have to leave these incredible worlds. On this occasion, I had apparently separated from the body (rather than becoming lucid while dreaming) and then went through a mirror which unexpectedly led me there.

- Padmasambhava

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 03 Oct 2012 10:25

It would be hard to define differences between LD's, astral projection, and OBE's unless you have a spiritual belief system that supports the existence of the latter two; whereas, LD's are more generally accepted as just something cool our brains are capable of doing while we sleep. I have many spiritually minded friends who run the gamut of religious beliefs from super conservative Christians to New Agers. The Christian friend that I tried talking to about this stuff got very uncomfortable and just changed the subject, even though I didn't attribute any spirituality to it - just kept it purely scientific. One New Age friend in particular insists that my most recent experience was an OBE, but I just don't buy it. If the definition of an OBE is to be out of your body, floating around the real world, then my experience of sitting up in my bed and walking around and then entering a dreamscape world that is nothing like reality makes it definitely not an OBE. I agree with Peter about it being what you want it to be.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Oct 2012 18:15

beadietux wrote: If the definition of an OBE is to be out of your body, floating around the real world, then my experience of sitting up in my bed and walking around and then entering a dreamscape world that is nothing like reality makes it definitely not an OBE. I agree with Peter about it being what you want it to be.

I believe that lucid dreams where you experience a total separation between you the thinking, decision making and conscious individual and the dream world surroundings is an OBE, but then in waking we are also experiencing basically the same thing.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Oct 2012 18:18

Summerlander wrote:It was. I was even more freaked out when, in a book about the afterlife, the spirits of the dead were allegedly telling their loved ones where they were through a medium. Cottages, rainbows and bright colours came up. I read this a few weeks after the experience. The experience itself had such an impact on me that its memory will remain with me forever... unless I bump my head hard enough. :mrgreen:

The drawing is just a poor depiction by comparison. What I saw was incredible. I wanted to live there forever. It seemed mind-expanding too (apart from a sense of harmony). It was truly psychedelic. Shame we always have to leave these incredible worlds. On this occasion, I had apparently separated from the body (rather than becoming lucid while dreaming) and then went through a mirror which unexpectedly led me there.

Great picture! Thanks for sharing it. Gives me hope and encouragement since I already believe we will be experiencing these kinds of worlds when we leave this life. In fact , I think we will be collectively creating them which is even more exciting.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”