About to give up

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Magnus

About to give up

Postby Magnus » 28 Jun 2011 20:12

I've been trying to get a lucid dream for 3 weeks now with no sign of improvement except better dream recall. I started thinking about giving up, but then i stumpled upon a technique called WILD. The first night i tried it i could definetally feel that "heavy blanket" dropping on my body, and it felt like i was spinning. I was a little bit nervous so i bailed out. The rest of the night i lay awake and couldnt sleep before 5:30. I tried it again the night after (but this time i couldnt feel anything) and i was unable to sleep before around 6. Im begining to become demotivated by this whole thing. Is there any other way to improve WILD? When i try doing the technique i often lay in my bed for 1 - 2 hours before just giving up. I need some tips about relaxation and most of all - inspiration to continue.

I think about lucid dreaming all day every day, its not forced, i just really want to experience one. I also keep a dream journal which i write in everyday - sometimes up to 3 dreams per night. I frequently do reality checks likelooking at my hand, trying to press it through something solid, pinching myself, and looking at digital watchs/mirrors as often as possible.

Shouldnt i be getting one soon? Im getting really tired of the Insomnia too.

Most of all, i need to hear this: is it really worth it at the end?

Thanks
First lucid dream : July 14, 2011
Lucid dream count : 5
Last lucid dream : 11 september 2011

Have given up, for now. The school is too much work. I am going to keep doing it i my weekend and vacations though :)

rdubya

Re: About to give up

Postby rdubya » 28 Jun 2011 20:44

Magnus wrote:I've been trying to get a lucid dream for 3 weeks now with no sign of improvement except better dream recall. I started thinking about giving up, but then i stumpled upon a technique called WILD. The first night i tried it i could definetally feel that "heavy blanket" dropping on my body, and it felt like i was spinning. I was a little bit nervous so i bailed out. The rest of the night i lay awake and couldnt sleep before 5:30. I tried it again the night after (but this time i couldnt feel anything) and i was unable to sleep before around 6. Im begining to become demotivated by this whole thing. Is there any other way to improve WILD? When i try doing the technique i often lay in my bed for 1 - 2 hours before just giving up. I need some tips about relaxation and most of all - inspiration to continue.

I think about lucid dreaming all day every day, its not forced, i just really want to experience one. I also keep a dream journal which i write in everyday - sometimes up to 3 dreams per night. I frequently do reality checks likelooking at my hand, trying to press it through something solid, pinching myself, and looking at digital watchs/mirrors as often as possible.

Shouldnt i be getting one soon? Im getting really tired of the Insomnia too.

Most of all, i need to hear this: is it really worth it at the end?

Thanks

3 weeks may not be considered a long time by some. Plus, it sounds like it is becoming more of a drain than an energy supply. You need to find your balance of how much energy to put into something. Sounds like you are outputting more energy than you are inputting on this.

Are you getting insomnia because of your LD attempts? I have not experienced that but that would be a warning sign to me of something not going right in my techniques.

Is it worth it? Yes and no. It is completely worth it if you are not facing the negatives you are mentioning.

Magnus

Postby Magnus » 28 Jun 2011 23:18

Yes, i think it is because of the WILD attempts, but im not 100% sure. I didnt have to lay in bed that long before falling asleep, before i tried the WILD method. Also, when i woke up, my bed was full of sweat. Its like im having terrible nightmares. but i have always remembered nightmares. ...even though i cant know for sure if i do not remember them :) (kinda like a paradox)

I am going to keep trying until next week or something, and if the insomnia does not go away, i will chill it and just focus on the dream-journal and the reality checks. I think i'll recomment on this post when i get a lucid dream :D

PS:
Thanks for answering btw ;) i appreciate it very much! :)

PSS:
Sorry for my bad grammar :P

Have given up, for now. The school is too much work. I am going to keep doing it i my weekend and vacations though :)

rdubya

Postby rdubya » 29 Jun 2011 01:14

I personally think WILD is a difficult way to induce a LD. I have yet to accomplish it, but I have had numerous DILD (Dream induced)

I do meditate prior to going to bed with the focus on remembering my dreams. It is a pretty effortless and non strenuous way to get them, but i can't guarantee it. That is why i am working on WILD so i can enter them at will, but I dont think it is the best method for people trying to experience their first one.

And your welcome for answering, it is fun helping others out with this as others help me too!

Peter

Postby Peter » 29 Jun 2011 01:51

You will be unlikely to get a LD in your are really tired so chill a little and keep the RC going and the journals. Try making a few drawings in your journal of a RC that you have done and you may find that it strengthens the RC and they will come a little easier.
Go to bed early, get up, wake up and go back to bed.
WILD are a skill and elusive at times, the point of entry is an instant and if you miss it you will most likely get a good sleep so don’t sweat it

Keep posting

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

tornadodude

Postby tornadodude » 30 Jun 2011 05:00

the answer to your question"is it worth it?"

YES.IN EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE WAY YES.if it's a strain trying to induce dreams, take a break for a while or try something new.you should try the M.I.L.D techniec instead of the W.I.L.D untill you get good. I'm only a beginner myself(as new as it gets, i've been trying for 5 days ;) )and i only had one last night.i got so excited i was lucid that i woke myself up :cry: . but that reality-defying feeling is amazing.

It helps to meditate before bed ;)
you see that picture above my name? ya, you'll be seeing that in your nightmares tonight

SaraM2261

Postby SaraM2261 » 01 Jul 2011 17:38

It is worth it, but it can be tiring to keep trying night after night.

I would say don't either try like mad or don't try at all. Instead if you feel rested, and you have plenty of time to sleep in the morning (after getting a whole night's sleep) try that night. You could meditate every night, but on the nights you really want to try you can do more. There's a lot of gray area to explore. You don't have to go at it in extremes.

There are great benefits to just having better dream recall as well. I would say just relax. This is supposed to be enjoyable. :) Some nights I say to myself that I am just going to sleep and dream naturally, and others I have a strong intention to LD. It all depends on my mood.

Magnus

Postby Magnus » 01 Jul 2011 23:41

Thank you, all, for awesome advices! :D

I have stopped trying to do WILD's, but I am determined to get a fully lucid dream during my vacation :)

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » 13 Jul 2011 16:58

I'm really interested in the outcome of this post because I feel similarly: I got interested in lucid dreaming about half a year ago, but since then it's not brought in much of a harvest (;.. At the beginning I was very engaged, remembering up to 4 dreams a night and recording them all in a dream journal, but I never had any proper lucid dreams (though through the dream recall I was able to enjoy my "normal" dreams more). I had some quirky dreams where I knew I was dreaming, but movement was kind of sluggish and I wasn't able to control anything that was going on - it was slightly like pretending I'm dreaming in real life.

After a while I decided that I'd been obsessing too much and I was so focused on that it wasn't working that my subconscious took the message and made it real. Anyhow, I've been chilling it for a few months (but by now I hardly remember any of my dreams), and now I want to start again.
I think it might be something similar with you - and the insomnia: it can be really taxing can't it? I think you're just very, very focused on it and it's not giving you much rest.

I read in the internet a technique where you repeat to yourself a hundred times "I now have a fully conscious out of body lucid dream". I tried it one night and definitely remembered my dreams better, but it's only supposed to work after a month or two.. and you've only been trying for three weeks. (;

I'm definitely going to keep track of this post and see where it goes! ;D Good luck!!!

Magnus

Postby Magnus » 13 Jul 2011 17:29

It is going the very right way :) Just the other night I had my first in-dream "reality check". It failed, but still - I'm making progress ^^ I am sleeping really good (except for the past few days when I had been sleepwalking and woken up exhausted. But that's just my body trying to fit into the new clock system I guess (I'm on a vacation in the USA, and it's like 6 hours difference from norway.)I always sleep walk when I go to bed really tired).

I got happy when you said that you would come back on this thread to see how it went^^ thanks!

I will keep you updated!:D

And I hope it works out for you too :)

Return to “For Beginners”