Is it possible to completely master Lucid Dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sir_Serix

Is it possible to completely master Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Sir_Serix » 18 Sep 2012 02:17

Today, while I was alone thinking, I came up with a question:
Is there a point on the art of Lucid Dreaming,when you can actually master it? How long can it take? Which one is the 'master method'?
I would like to hear you opinions and, for comparing to myself, how good are you now in Lucid Dreaming (eg. I can do a WILD succesfully at any time, I have a MILD per week, etc.)
In my opinion, you can never reach like the 'peak' of lucid dreaming, instead you reach a point in which you're almost sure that you'll lucid dream,want it or not.
So guys,what do you think? :)

Tarpaulin

Re: Is it possible to completely master Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Tarpaulin » 18 Sep 2012 18:00

I'd say the simple answer to that question is "No".

In my experience the day you feel you've mastered anything is the day your ego sets a trap likely to bring you crashing down.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Sep 2012 20:38

Depends on what you mean by master, do you mean consistancy in having lucid dreams regardless of quality, or the above plus the ability to fully control them in any way?

I dont think its possible to do it 100% of the time but by definition you can master your own personal potential (otherwise it wouldnt be your personal potential)

I feel I am at a point where I have almost mastered recgonising when I am in a lucid dream, since I have been studying maths a lot and studying philosophy I have a pretty good grip on whats real and what isn't, all it takes relaly is actually having a vivid dream where I can be aware. I have also mastered a lot of dream control and fear in dreams, for instance in my last dream I had a non lucid dream where I was thrown into a snake pit, as I lay on the ground I noticed 3 snakes advancing on me and instead of getting up and running I faced them. However I think having this primitive urge to just fight them is a sort of fear, im working on simply letting them come to me and showing they wont hurt me, thus destroying all power they have.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Lucid Man

Postby Lucid Man » 19 Sep 2012 23:26

just about there ... lots.
Dream in color, sound, control them @ times, Synchronicity, been seeing 11:11 , 3:33, 1:23, etc,, for many years. I have lots of examples in many contexts. I stopped talking about it to people as they simply cannot fathom what I say.

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 20 Sep 2012 15:11

Tarpaulin wrote:In my experience the day you feel you've mastered anything is the day your ego sets a trap likely to bring you crashing down.

Well said. Reminds me of Socrates and the Oracle of Delphi for some reason...
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Sep 2012 22:16

I dont think there is any concept of mastering lucid dreaming as it will produce an unlimited number of threads to explore.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 21 Sep 2012 07:30

My personal idea of Lucid Dream Mastery is this: The ability to have a WILD at any time, and conduct it successfully in less than 10 minutes. (Personal goal since I can induce vibrations in a less than 15 minutes on a good attempt, and I'm not even good yet :P ). Also, the Lucid Dream created is SuperLucid. That is a term I have come across only a few times, but has appealed to me greatly. SuperLucid being where you insert your consciousness, all senses, into the dream which is vast and is perceived no differently than waking life (other than obvious flaws in physics and whatnot), basically just not having that 2D feel that dreams tend to have. Lastly, this is one of my biggest goals, is to be able to recall a lucid dream as exact as you could recall an actual even of your life.

I'd also add that I would have complete access to my own mind whilst in the dream, complete access to my true self, my higher self, my self without an Ego, whatever you may call it. This is a goal outside lucid dreaming too, meditation. To be able to view myself for exactly what I am and not have to justify anything, just know I am what I am and it is good. I guess I can't rant all I like, the end result of my ultimate goal is Satori.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

alppdcjr12

Postby alppdcjr12 » 21 Sep 2012 16:42

I agree that the idea of "mastering" something is a trap for your ego to bring yourself down. It might not be best to think of it in those terms. Conversely, however, I think that means you've only really earned the title of "Master" when the title doesn't mean anything to you. The concept of being good at it shouldn't make you feel proud and attached to the idea; think of lucid dreaming as a tool.

In any case, the answer is yes. There are yogis and practitioners in the west that have the ability to lucid dream any time they sleep, or simply drift in a state of calm where REM sleep is occurring but you aren't vulnerable to illusion. These are extremely profound states that can only come from years of practice and going through difficult trials. However, you can make enough progress to lucid dream once per night in far less time.
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”