A Few Questions I wanted to ask...

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
junweixiong

A Few Questions I wanted to ask...

Postby junweixiong » 22 Sep 2012 00:59

Hello everyone!

I haven't had a lucid dream yet but I want to. However, I just couldn't because every time I try the WILD method I get scared of the unknown and I just open my eyes and everything disappears. I think it has got to do with my confidence in trying to lucid dream and my doubts about it. Here are some questions I would like to clarify before trying (they may sound dumb because you will find out when you tried, but I haven't that's the point), before I get stuck in a nightmare lucid dream and lose lucidity...

Here goes:

1. How do you control yourself in a lucid dream? Do you move as though you are in your physical body or do you think it with your brain?

2. What do I do if I started to lose control?

3. Which method do you think is the easiest for beginners?

4. How do I get out of a lucid dream if I wanted to? Kill myself?

5. I sorta did the WILD method last time. I watched some hypnosis show, and when I woke up from sleep in the middle of night I tried to hypnotize myself (I know it sounds stupid). Then I saw flashing red lights even though my eyelids were closed and then I heard sounds like BOM--BOM--BOM-BOM-BOMBOMBOM...
Is that a transition to the dream state?

I just want to GET INTO A LUCID DREAM FIRST, then start with other things like running and flying and stuff. Any help from you guys is appreciated. Thanks!

junweixiong

Re: A Few Questions I wanted to ask...

Postby junweixiong » 22 Sep 2012 05:48

Any help?

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 22 Sep 2012 11:53

I'm still a beginner too, only had 1 lucid dream so far. Took me almost a month of using the MILD technique. I have never yet tried the more advanced WILD technique.

I'm curious why you are trying to WILD as a beginner? This is probably one of the most difficult ways to induct a lucid dream, more suited for people with some LD experience. So let's start with #3 and say the easiest method for beginners is probably MILD.

For #1, You just move "normally", as though you're in your physical body.

I'll also tackle #4 and say this is not Inception. :P No need for dream suicide, just wake up. You should be able to just do that.

The rest of your questions would be better served by someone with more experience, just didn't want you to have to wait too long thinking no one would respond. Don't worry, the masters will be here soon. They're all lucid dreaming right now. :lol:
Last edited by Psychosanity on 23 Sep 2012 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

dillybar12345

Postby dillybar12345 » 23 Sep 2012 04:14

2. Lucid dreaming doesn't always guarantee control. I've been having LD but I can't really do anything. So I'm going to do what anyone else would do when it comes to mastering a skill--practice, practice, practice. I'd read the "How to Stay Lucid" Article on here.

3. Everyone is different, so some methods suit some people better than others (I usually fall asleep too early while using MILD). For me, lots of reality checks, a dream journal, and about 10 min of meditation a day is my method. But then again, I'm also a beginner.

I also read books or watch movies that can give me ideas to dream about. For example, I was reading a Greek Mythology book and I'd have dreams with Greek Mythology in it.
Do a Reality Check right now.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 23 Sep 2012 23:15

1) Yea, you move around in your physical body. A fully lucid dream should feel like you are awake!

2) There are many things you can do if you start to lose control, but as a beginner it is to be expected that you will eventually lose control of your dream. Staying in control come with experience. Look on the main site for "How to Stay Lucid".

3) The easiest method for beginners is the MILD (look on main site again). The WILD is probably the last thing you should be worrying about right now. It is the hardest form of LD induction; ESPECIALLY if you've never actually had one.

4) Haha, as psychosanity said, this is not inception, you don't have to kill yourself. However the whole "kick" idea of that movie is actually valid. If you aren't able to just wake yourself up, the feeling of falling is a good way to "scare" yourself awake.

5) What you saw and heard was intense stages of hypnogogia. Yes, this is signaling that your body has fallen asleep and you are getting into the dream state.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 24 Sep 2012 08:30

1. How do you control yourself in a lucid dream? Do you move as though you are in your physical body or do you think it with your brain?

One controls oneself by willing something. Movement varies, one can move in a dream body, like the physical with or without added abilities like flying, levitating or the ability to "breath" underwater, in outer space or underground. One may also move through objects or walls if one wants. I usually see dream characters as a disembodied consciousness and can "possess" them entering them or leaving them at will. I can as a disembodied consciousness move quickly between dream scenes/sets and be more than one character in the same dream. If you watched the matrix, I can do what agent Smith did, except that I actually inhabit their bodies rather than transforming them into mine.

What do I do if I started to lose control?

You'll just be lucid in a more normal style dream, but you can try to gain control. In LD one has a range of control and vividness, in some you'll have God like power in others you'll be normal, the same for vividness, some will be as or seem more real than real life and others will be more ordinary dream like.

Which method do you think is the easiest for beginners?

DILD

How do I get out of a lucid dream if I wanted to? Kill myself?

Dying whether by your own hand or another's will not get you out of dreams. try to open your eyes and move and get up. Normally one can wake up by just willing it, but you can get stuck in lucid dreams or lucid nightmares and if you're stuck in a nightmare you likely will not have any dream control either.

#5 is standard hypnagogia, usually at formums called hypnagogic images or HI.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “For Beginners”