Is the universe made of information?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
lucidinthe sky

Is the universe made of information?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Sep 2012 18:20

I've been reading about this concept lately. It's very interesting and makes sense to me. The idea is that the universe at the smallest level consists of digital bits of information, 1s and 0s which is the most basic way to describe anything.

Wondering if anyone else has looked into this and what people's thoughts and ideas are.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Re: Is the universe made of information?

Postby Peter » 24 Sep 2012 20:53

I think that it might be a little like that but the information is only the way in which we can comprehend the little bits and bytes. In time they will become massive as we dig deeper into matter and find smaller and smaller bits of energy and they only represent out way of understanding the basics of creation
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Sep 2012 23:00

The idea is that the two state piece of information would be the smallest thing that still carries the adequate "material" needed to define something. This piece of information, two states would being the minimum would have no mass nor take up any space, just information. Like the instructions needed to make whatever it is. One example used of this idea is DNA which is a 4 state system which contains the instructions on how to make all living things. It really is fascinating.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Sep 2012 23:08

it is interesting, DNA might carry instructions but it still needs material for construction and a way for the two to meet
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 25 Sep 2012 02:44

Should watch Tom Campbell's videos on YouTube. He wrote a comprehesive book on this: My Big TOE
(TOE=Theory of Everything).

He is a physicist and consciousness expert, his theory states that consciousness is all there is. It is a self-aware information-system, and evolving by lowering its entropy (randomness). To help it evolve, it creates virtual realities (as learning labs), and breaks smaller pieces of itself to put inside these realities, in order to interact and learn (lower the small pieces' entropy, thus lowering entropy of the larger consciousness system as as a whole).
All realities are just data-streams sent to each of our conscious minds (those small pieces of the larger consciousness system). After all, that's all we really perceive with our minds...raw digital data from our 5 senses. This is true for both reality and dreams. Both are just different virtual realities we experience.

That's his theory anyway, MUCH simplified, of course. He has a ton of in-depth videos, as he is lecturing all over the place. He explains it better than I can, and every question I've heard asked, he answers in the frame of this theory and it always makes perfect sense, imho. I think this guy may have figured out the nature of existence. :shock:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Sep 2012 08:12

I have read his book and watched a lot of his lectures and cant work out what he is saying. Its starts of good and ends up needing faith and belief. I think it is interesting and he is worth looking into but there is a point where it all fades and nothing is answered

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 27 Sep 2012 01:55

Psychosanity wrote:Should watch Tom Campbell's videos on YouTube. He wrote a comprehesive book on this: My Big TOE
(TOE=Theory of Everything).

He is a physicist and consciousness expert, his theory states that consciousness is all there is. It is a self-aware information-system, and evolving by lowering its entropy (randomness). To help it evolve, it creates virtual realities (as learning labs), and breaks smaller pieces of itself to put inside these realities, in order to interact and learn (lower the small pieces' entropy, thus lowering entropy of the larger consciousness system as as a whole).
All realities are just data-streams sent to each of our conscious minds (those small pieces of the larger consciousness system). After all, that's all we really perceive with our minds...raw digital data from our 5 senses. This is true for both reality and dreams. Both are just different virtual realities we experience.

I basically agree with this concept and definitely think he's on the right track. We have no proof to dispute the possibility that our entire reality is a complete fabrication of some kind. But he should stop making these supernatural claims and calling his research scientific. Just leave it as philosophy which it is. Don't make these fantastic claims with no proof, talk about it being science, yet refuse to participate in the scientific method. There's nothing wrong with having faith and believing in things you can't prove. We do it all of the time. How we perceive reality and especially dreams are based on what we believe. I can fly in a dream, not because science permits it, but because I believe I can. Dreams are entirely based on faith and have little to do with fact or science.

So I'm in Tom Campbell's camp basically, although I don't know all of what he is proposing. I do believe that consciousness creates our reality (what we experience) and it is like the giant computer. If the basic building block of the universe is information, and if the conscious mind is the virtual reality simlulator, it can take the information (instructions) organize them and create whatever reality it wants.

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 01 Oct 2012 23:29

I don't think he tries to pass it off as science. He just shows how most of our current mysteries of physics would be nicely explained by this same theory that explains many mysteries of metaphysics.

It is of course, just a theory, I don't see it as a fantastic claim. It's no more fantastic than any other theory about what is outside our observable physical universe imho. Less so, actually.

I haven't yet heard him denounce the scientific method, I sure hope he doesn't do that. :shock:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 02 Oct 2012 07:20

I think the universe created in our minds eye is made out of information, but our physical body and everything else outside of us is material. Wipe out all the humans and other intelligent life, anything that is conscious and what you have left in the equation is matter.

Or is that true? Do abstract concepts still exist if there is no one there to think about them? Does the present still exist, that is all life is gone and a boulder is rolling towards a cliff edge. There must be some concept of the future where it will roll off the cliff, even if there is no one there to think it. Or does the present simply cease to exist and all states are simultaneously occuring? Even more interesting is what if life somehow sparked up again in the oceans, would time just fastforward to the next conscious moment and the present continues, or would time just carry on as usual with no observer at all in the universe until life starts again?

Another mind boggler is that consciousness hasn't always been around, you have the big bang and the universe grows from that and then one day matter gets together and somehow the universe starts observing itself and consciousness is just... born. Its strange how there are two eras, one without consciousness, one with consciousness. Whats also strange is that each persons consciousness is distinct, if I am talking to a friend where is his consciousness, is it directly in front of me sitting behind his eyes but I just can't see it? Is it locked away in his head, but if I were to open him up I wouldn't see his conscious experience. So although his little experiences are occuring in front of me, in a way they aren'y from my point of view, its like we are in two seperate realities.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Postby Peter » 02 Oct 2012 08:05

Its strange how there are two eras, one without consciousness, one with consciousness

you wont solve that one in a hurry. We might be the first by some oddity that has consciousness and what we are experiencing is organic or natural growth of some inner freakish ability and that would be rather lonely - no other life in a silent universe, just us waiting to reach out and expand. Either that or life is a reward and its that simple and we can move into the realm of our minds and seek clues as to where this all started. All interesting no matter how we view it.

Return to “Off-Topic”