Help/Explanation Needed

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
LTF

Help/Explanation Needed

Postby LTF » 26 Sep 2012 10:10

I had a very strange experience tonight that I think can be tied into lucid dreaming/astral projection. It has really weirded me out as it's the first time anything like this has happened to me, so that's why I've come here hoping for help.

I went to sleep early this evening and woke up at 2:30 in the morning. I find that when I usually go to sleep earlier (or sleep longer), that when I wake up briefly and go back to sleep that I have more intense/vivid/wild dreams. Tonight was no different.

Basically, I had a dream I was sharing a couch with someone who had gotten up and I was waiting for them to get back. I was fighting going in and out of sleep in the dream, and I was really desiring them to come lay down next to me. In the dream, my eyes are closed with a great sense of urge/expectation. As I physically begin to feel them walk back into the room and touch my body as they crawl back on the other side of me I'm guessing it's here that I wake up (or maybe I just think I'm awake). What happens is a brief 2-3 seconds of confusion where I think my eyes were open but I couldn't move my body in my bed. But I would SWEAR to you that I heard the sheets/pillows being moved/depressed and saw the pillow next to me depress in as if a head was starting to lay in it -- like what was happening in the dream. That freaked me out because everything about it seemed real, I felt I was awake and hadn't gone back to sleep yet, and the physical sheet sounds, pillow moving seem 100% real to me. I initially was thinking it could have been a ghost of some form, but that makes no sense, especially given how coincidental what happened on my bed was perfectly timed with what was happening in my dream.

Can anyone help explain what I experienced? Was it some physical projection of a lucid dream? For some reason it really scared me at first but now I'm leaning towards it being just some weird confusion in between dreaming and being awake. Thanks.

lucidinthe sky

Re: Help/Explanation Needed

Postby lucidinthe sky » 26 Sep 2012 16:50

LTF wrote: But I would SWEAR to you that I heard the sheets/pillows being moved/depressed and saw the pillow next to me depress in as if a head was starting to lay in it -- like what was happening in the dream. That freaked me out because everything about it seemed real, I felt I was awake and hadn't gone back to sleep yet, and the physical sheet sounds, pillow moving seem 100% real to me. I initially was thinking it could have been a ghost of some form, but that makes no sense, especially given how coincidental what happened on my bed was perfectly timed with what was happening in my dream.

Can anyone help explain what I experienced?

It sounds like you were lucid, maybe going in and out or maybe all those times you thought you were awake were actually false awakenings (that's more likely to me). Had you done a reality check you would have probably found you were dreaming. At that point it might have been difficult for you to believe/accept because lucid dreams are so completely real. It still freaks me out even though I've has many lucid dreams now.

Have you ever had a lucid dream before? They can be 100% real and it's completely mind-blowing when you experience it, especially for the first time. I remember having these arguments with myself about whether it was a dream or not.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

bomber694

Postby bomber694 » 26 Sep 2012 19:01

Hey !

These were probably what we call false awakenings... I have them from time to time in the morning where I wake up go to the bathroom wash my teeth and it turns out something is wrong and I realize I am not in the bathroom yet and it happens like 4 times it is really annoying.
http://www.LucidDreamingOnline.com

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 26 Sep 2012 21:14

It was probably a false awakening...but bear in mind that as you wake up, your senses don't all re-engage with waking reality at the same time...perhaps your sight and hearing was still midway through the transition back to waking reality, which would explain the odd experience.
Dreaming is my drug

LTF

Postby LTF » 27 Sep 2012 04:38

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it has been very helpful. I wrote that initial post in the middle of the night when I was still pretty shook up by the experience, but now I do feel a lot better about it and have chalked it up to an intense but brief lucid dream experience where some of my senses were briefly out of whack for a couple of seconds. This subject has always fascinated me and I do plan to read around these forums and learn as much as I can. Thanks again.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 27 Sep 2012 04:53

It sounds to me like your senses were working normally, but you were in a dream. That could be the freaky part.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

kpanzmc

Postby kpanzmc » 28 Sep 2012 10:45

it could have been a ghost of some form

Return to “For Beginners”