Lucid dreaming to cope with sleep paralysis

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
confusingdreams

Lucid dreaming to cope with sleep paralysis

Postby confusingdreams » 27 Sep 2012 11:04

Lately I've been experiencing sleep paralysis. At first the dreams were terrifying, but now I have discovered that I can notice when this happens and manipulate them to an extent. I've also had many successful lucid dreams in the past, however they still happen pretty randomly (usually after I've woken up from a nap and gone back to sleep). Has anyone else practiced lucid dreaming mainly to avoid the vivid terrors associated with sleep paralysis? Also, I've had false awakenings before and after my sleep paralysis spells, but almost every time my dreams begin with extremely vivid, mind-blowing landscapes.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Peter

Re: Lucid dreaming to cope with sleep paralysis

Postby Peter » 27 Sep 2012 19:37

I went through a couple of years of SP and it was intense and I did not understand it at the time. What I found was that in time they just went away and it is very rare now for me to experience SP. Hang in there and use it to leverage a LD
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Sep 2012 02:16

I use to get SP as it it called. I would wake up (always from a lucid dream to begin with) and I would be in bed and can't move and then I would feel like a malevolent entity is there and then (because I am still dreaming), it would manifest itself and become a shadowy entity that apparently means me harm.

If I fight it and get rid of it, I will end up in a different lucid dream or get up (out of dream bed) and lucid dream from there.

There is certainly a connection, but I lucid dreamed many times first before it ever happened, so I wouldn't say I lucid dreamed to 'cope' with it. More of the other way around. I was a happy lucid dreamer until that Ahole tried to mess with me! But I believe it was a process and leads to more control and experience in the long run.

So if it happens again, and if you can, GET UP AND STAND UP! (it can be 'physically hard'). But it leads to some very deep immersed lucid dreams.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

confusingdreams

Postby confusingdreams » 01 Oct 2012 04:07

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to use it more as a tool from now on and see what I can do. Usually when I try to move, the creepy stuff happens. Maybe if I close my eyes in the dream and try to get up I'll have more positive results. It's reassuring to know that they will probably pass.

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 03 Oct 2012 09:48

I have had many terrifying SP experiences in my life, and since learning about LD and reading about others' experiences, I have had 2 SP's and they weren't scary because I had an awareness of what was happening and used the experience, or at least tried to. The first SP post-LD research was silly - I just realized what was happening and went back to sleep, but the good thing is that I didn't have those few mins where I feared that I must have had a stroke or something and be physically paralyzed but mentally ok...that was progress. But my second one happened just the other night and I had some major successes. I was able to get up and Hagart is right about it feeling physically difficult, but the trick for me seemed to be moving slowly and not struggling - just sort of floating upward. I moved into a sitting position, then stood and walked around my apartment, questioned whether or not I was dreaming, did reality checks to establish that, yes, it was a dream, and then continued on into a dream where I interacted with DC's and did some fun things.

Polishgirl62

Postby Polishgirl62 » 06 Oct 2012 00:21

Hi, I am brand new to this site, because of what happened last night, totally freaked me out. But as to your question I have always been able to Lucid dream. But SP usually occcurs to me when I awake and am overtired and go back to sleep. I try logically within the Lucid state to awake and it is almost impossible. Yelling wake up, or trying to move my toes or fingers does nothing. It is the yelling and screaming while in SP that others around me (husband and doggies) say they hear a gutteral moan and awake me. I need a better way up from SP so I try to avoid getting over tired, and if I am I just dont go back to sleep. I'm going to post what happened last night. Under Lucid Nightmare in Limbo. It was the first time I awoke crying histerically and I believe stress in the subconsious will be the resolve. I know I wasnt much help but I do like this site and hope to learn alot.

bens

Postby bens » 06 Oct 2012 11:54

whenever i experience sp i tend to just move without trying to hard and when something terrifying comes at you i have found the more positive you are in just simply accepting it the more it goes away, i think the negative energy in your subconcious feeds of your fear and stress, i think thats where most demon stories have originated in history as forms of dream symbols and lucid states, i have actually wrote more about this on my article http://luciddreamsalive.com

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”