Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Bleekman117

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Bleekman117 » 27 Sep 2012 05:09

If your new to lucid dreaming, I wouldn't suggest starting out with the WILD technique. It is an interesting technique and I can see why many people try it right out of the gate, but it is, by far, the hardest way to enter a lucid dream if you're not naturally good at it. My advice would be to start at the MILD technique and work on just having a lucid dream and learning to control it and all that good stuff.
However, if you would like to keep trying the WILD method, there are different methods of learning to concentrate, but I would suggest starting to meditate for 10-20 minutes a day. Try and focus your attention on counting your breaths, relaxing your body, etc... Look at the main site for different ways to increase your concentration and find out what works for you!
Anything other questions?
The mind is a beautiful thing

Rinzler

Postby Rinzler » 28 Sep 2012 15:30

Hey World of Lucid Dreaming.
I have been for some time now been very fascinated by the subject of lucid dreaming, astral projections and out-of-body experiences. Intellectually, it is very exciting, but even more so practically. The idea of creating a world in your own mind while asleep is amazing, and I do not understand how people can not be curios of it. I am aware the OBE's and astral projections are different than lucid dreaming, but I am sure you will agree that they are somewhat related. Anyway, I have a basic understanding of these fields, but I am in great need of another perspective on my personal relations with the realms of the mind.
As mentioned, I have some knowledge of lucid dreaming and OBE's - I have tried to practice it, on-and-off over a course of a few months. With the help of a diary to record my dreams in, along with reality-checks and an attempt of constant focus and awareness, I have managed to pull off a few lucid dreams in the past. Not nearly as many as I've would have liked, but still something. But despite lucid dreams being very interesting, I am even more curios regarding OBE's. I have read about many ways to have such an experience, and I have tried most of them - however, I have never had an actual OBE. But last night, something odd happened, and I must you of your experienced insight.
I went to sleep in the morning, about 3-4 am, as I have a disrupted sleep cyclus (uneven work hours, and too much caffeine). When I had made myself comfortable in bed, I thought to myself: "why not try to have lucid dreams?" as it had really been a while, and I was curious.
I closed my eyes and let my mind slip, to relax my brain and body. I let all my thoughts run through my head, while I listened to the sound of my beating heart and breathing. Slowly, my body began to fall asleep (I assume this because my body started to tingle and my breathing became heavier) and my eyes were closed shut. Mentally, I merely observed the state of my body. It was, in the beginning naturally still. But the closer I came to what I think is sleep, the stranger my body began to behave. I started to shiver/shake slightly, while my eye-lids began to tremble as my pupils moved upwards, towards the eye chakra. Visually, I saw colorful distortions and a myriad of shapes dance before me. All these sensations slowly amplified, but as they did, I became more aware of them - and my heart began to race away, despite the fact that I had no fear.
I knew this could be a sign of sleep paralysis, a step towards OBE's and lucid dreaming, and this only excited me, made me look forward to whatever would come next. But as I waited (while of course still attempting to proceed with the process mentally) nothing happened. I only felt a slight sting in my back, as my spine began to feel stiff from the shaking. Suddenly, I opened my eyes. I could not help it. It just happened. I was wide awake. I was naturally disappointed, as I had hoped for an OBE or a lucid dream.
I tried again, and the entire process was repeated. This time, I relaxed more mentally, and tried to tell myself mentally that I was floating, especially upwards, as this is also a good to way to meditate (which is also a hobby of mine). Now, at least, it felt like I moved outside my body. My skin began to tickle all over, and despite of the shaking and beating heart, I thought I would actually lift myself out of my body. I screamed mentally: "Fly! Rid yourself of your clumsy, heavy body! Go upwards! Go!" and for each "shout" the feeling became more powerful. Suddenly, when I felt I was at my peak, I opened my eyes. I found myself almost half-sitting in bed, with my head above my pillow and my hands lifted in front of me. I took a deep breath, and checked my reality. I was still awake. By then, I gave up.
What am I doing wrong? Why do my body shake and react in such way, while I still do not gain a real OBE or lucid dream? It is still a form of experience, a sort of radical series of thoughts that provide me with interesting sensations (e.g. tunnel vision, with a spectrum of light at the end in my mind) but it is nothing like I have read on the subject. Any input is appreciated, and I really would like to hear your opinion. By the way, for your information, I had smoked one joint with a blend of tobacco and regular weed just one hour before my attempt. I do not know if it is relevant, but there you go. But please, tell me what you think.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 28 Sep 2012 18:46

Well I can say that that is quite an interesting experience. I believe you are on the same path as I am, however I have never had such an intense experience.
I can't say I know too much about the whole OBE/Astral Projection thing, but I do know that it is not easily achieved. The most advice I can give you on the subject is keep practicing. However if you are not very experienced with lucid dreaming, I would say you should focus more on that first. The more experienced you are with lucid dreaming, the easier achieving an OBE will be.
As for why your body was shaking, that most likely had something to do with you going into sleep paralysis.
Also, if you are going to avidly try to LD or have an OBE, I would suggest cutting down on smoking, as it temporarily inhibits your ability to get into REM sleep, which is needed for a LD.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 28 Sep 2012 20:44

Hello My name is Sterre and I am but 12 yrs old. I had my first fully lucid dream 2 days ago and developed some questions:

1. I asked my self-conscious mind if I could enter someone elses dream, like what happened to Robert when Rebecca was interviewing him in the book. My mind said yes, but I think I might have been expecting it to say yes. So could answers to questions be true or does it just answer what you expect it to?

2.Rebecca said in her book that your brain would find it hard to create an object out of nowhere, but to me it came easily. I had always wanted to eat sushi in my dream as my first accomplishment, but all I had to do was get it out of thin air. It tasted a bit bland though.
The same thing happened with a portal i made, and when i stepped through it after making it out of nothing, i was exactly where i wanted to be. Could it be easier for a child to lucid dream due to the age gap between adults?

:) thx!

Sander

Postby Sander » 29 Sep 2012 11:41

Sterre Duiker wrote: Could it be easier for a child to lucid dream due to the age gap between adults?

well, i've read that it's easier for children to have lucid dreams, so that may be the cause.

Where are you from?
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Sander

Postby Sander » 29 Sep 2012 11:45

so i've been playing Mirror's Edge a lot lately and am planning to try and use this as a lucid dream induction method. I'm going to visualize myself parkouring the virtual city. Actively imagining that i'm really doing all the movements, feeling the concrete under my feet and hands, feeling pain when jumping from high grounds, feel the wind in my hair, hear city noises, etc. While doing this, i'll also convince myself that whenever i'm running around in the city, i must be dreaming.

Might this be a good way to induce a LD?
Free Your Mind.

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 29 Sep 2012 15:48

Sander wrote:
Sterre Duiker wrote: Could it be easier for a child to lucid dream due to the age gap between adults?

well, i've read that it's easier for children to have lucid dreams, so that may be the cause.

Where are you from?

I am from Holland, yet I live in Nairobi, Kenya.

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 29 Sep 2012 15:51

Doublea wrote:You've only have had 12 dream recalls? I've been trying for about 3 and half weeks, I usually recall 1-5 dreams each night so about 60+ dreams. I believe I need to work on my reality checks, I just forget to do them. I haven't tried any other techniques. Which lucid dream techniques should I try?

I though you could only get one dream per night! How does that happen, having 1-5 dreams per night? :?:

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 29 Sep 2012 16:01

I was wondering if any of you guys had nice, relaxing music for self-hypnosis that you know of. It would really help!

Sander

Postby Sander » 29 Sep 2012 16:06

Sterre Duiker wrote:I am from Holland, yet I live in Nairobi, Kenya.

aan je naam af te leiden gok ik er op dat je nederlands spreekt :)
Free Your Mind.

Return to “For Beginners”