Controlling dreams without being lucid

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Controlling dreams without being lucid

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Sep 2012 17:26

Had an entire night's worth of very interesting dreams where I was controlling quite a few of them, but these were not lucid dreams. In one I specifically tried to float up out of my bed which I did suucessfully. Since it was dark I couldn't tell how high I was until hitting the ceiling. I was definitely controlling the dream, or maybe just fully aware that I was controlling it since we are always controlling all of our dreams. I was very aware of all the sensations of floating, touching the ceiling, etc. but was not lucid. It was fun, but not even in the same category as a real lucid dream.

From what I'm reading, there is a lot of confusion between controlling dreams and being lucid. They are really separate things and it's possible to control dreams without lucidity. Especially wonder when I hear people say things like "I've had lucid dreams all my life and they are no big deal, nothing special, so what." Wondering if some of these dreams are mainly awareness of control, not conscious awakening inside the dream.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Re: Controlling dreams without being lucid

Postby HAGART » 29 Sep 2012 21:17

Some people here debate the term: SEMI-LUCID.
They say, you either are or aren't and there is no in between, but I disagree.
Let's look at the definition of the word lucid: "showing ability to think clearly, esp. in the intervals between periods of confusion or insanity".

Dreams are a period of temporary insanity, but sometimes we 'awaken' and think clearly-- as clear as I am writing this. Other times, however, I can know it is a dream, and control it to an extent, but remain in a dream-stooper.

In a dream-stooper I rationalize everything and feel like it must be a video game, or perhaps I am hallucinating, or even in a different dimension. All of those are so much more bizarre than just admitting to yourself that it is a dream, but when it happens, our minds make it seem plausible. Not always though and that's when you become aware of what is going on, and only then are you fully lucid.

But there is a halfway point.
We can think unclearly, semi-clearly, and fully clear at any time whether asleep or even awake. I've experience the full gambt from dreams to semi-lucid to lucid and even a few I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT'S-NOT-BUTTER lucid dreams.

(Now for an existential thought: how clear is 'fully clear' thought even when you are 'awake'?........) :shock:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 29 Sep 2012 22:22

Its a grey area and I am not sure of how to define it. Almost all of my dreams contain an awareness of me and I exercise some form of control but I do not consider this to be lucid. There is a major shift of energy for me when I become lucid or fully aware. Last night I had a heap of dreams at various stages of the night and morning, in one I was gold mining on the beach and lookin at other people operating as well. I was able to compare what I was seeing with what I do in real life and then the I was walking along the beach and seen a pool of green ice and it was the same as in one of my recent fully lucid dreams. I was on this ice or glass and looking at it and thinking that this was the same as in another dream and bringing all these thoughts from the prior dream and from WR. I do not call this lucid as but had full awareness that of past and external thoughts. When I become lucid there is a energy shift and I feel different and all my senses engage straight away. Control partly, externial thoughts yes, lucid - no
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Sep 2012 22:46

HAGART wrote:Some people here debate the term: SEMI-LUCID.
They say, you either are or aren't and there is no in between, but I disagree.
Let's look at the definition of the word lucid: "showing ability to think clearly, esp. in the intervals between periods of confusion or insanity".

I agree that you can have different levels of lucidity, but they don't have anything to do with controlling the dream. The fact is that we are already controlling everything in every dream so dream control is just a normal state and has nothing to do in and of itself with lucidity.

There are so many people I talk to about lucid dreaming that say, "Oh yes I've heard of that, lucid dreaming is when you control your dreams, right? I've done that quite a few times, what's the big deal?"
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 29 Sep 2012 23:27

I agree with Peter; there is most definitely an 'energy change' when lucidity occurs, but there is also a state where I know that something is not quite normal and that this can't be waking reality, however i can't summon the energy to understand that i am dreaming. On the subject of dream control, the difference in a lucid dream is that we know we can do things that are not possible in waking reality.
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Sep 2012 00:36

HAGART wrote:...and even a few I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT'S-NOT-BUTTER lucid dreams.

I guess I only count those ones as lucid dreams even though there are different levels of lucidity for sure. Just really hope that everyone will get to experience the high-end level at some point and not get bored or disinterested because dream control alone is not that exciting for some (including me). Seems like there are people who are bored with lucid dreaming and I'm wondering if they have had the full experience.

I agree too with the shift in energy levels. It's such a major shift for me - exactly like suddenly re-entering the waking-life world with waking-life awareness. Like the difference between watching a movie and being in it. 2 dimensions VS. 3 dimensions. Looking at objects VS. picking them up and feeling them. There is also the waking life conscious decision process occuring which creates waking life memories and a separation between your conscious thinking mind and the dream scene which you can control or just follow. Thinking about what your body is doing on the bed while you are swimming around. I think it's the OBE part that makes the whole thing so incredible.
Last edited by lucidinthe sky on 30 Sep 2012 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Sep 2012 05:29

The energy shift is as simple as "I am here and now I am there - lucid that is" its a bit like the dream tunnel experience but now occurs in an instant and I think the small rush is there but I am so used to it that the transition from a vivid to a lucid is smooth and quick.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”