A few questions about lucid dreaming!!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sloth

A few questions about lucid dreaming!!

Postby Sloth » 21 Sep 2012 16:19

Hey everybody!!
I just started the e-course yesterday! I'm really excited for what i'm going towards, so I have a few questions!!

1) Once you are an expert of lucid dreaming, that you are 100% conscious and can control everything that is around you in this "parallel universe".. what makes reality so special? I mean, if you're able to see, hear, touch and feel as well as you can do in reality, and you can do things that you wouldn't even think of doing in the real world, why would you want go back to reality? Doesn't it get addicting? Don't you tend to "isolate" your real life and want to go to sleep and dream all the time?

2) If the brain is working even more than when you're awake, don't you feel incredibly tired when you actually wake up? Does lucid dreaming affect the "resting properties" of sleep?

Thank you so much!!

alppdcjr12

Re: A few questions about lucid dreaming!!

Postby alppdcjr12 » 21 Sep 2012 16:35

1) The state of mind that inspires total control of your dreams is simple in its application but complex to describe. I haven't accessed it entirely; even the best lucid dreamers in the western world probably have less control than the masters of Tibetan dream yoga. I would say that playfulness, mental exploration, curiosity, concentration, joy, and many other factors contribute to the general feeling that allows you to have that level of conscious control. In other words, your dreaming world becomes more interesting as you make your daily life more interesting. If you master lucid dreaming, then you probably won't have to worry about becoming unhappy with the waking world. You have to generate a feeling of contentedness and calm to get there in the first place. If you grasp at experienced desperately, you won't have the zen-like state necessary to achieve lucidity at all. The excitement is good, but if you keep at it, it should fade into a general sense of calm determination. This will aid you in daily life just as much as in sleep.

2) It's working quite hard, but it's working to organize thoughts that you don't have time to process during the day. You wake up relaxed because you have integrated knowledge into the way you interact with your world, whether you realize it or not. Lucid dreaming is, among many other things, a method of actively rather than passively integrating data into your mind.
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 22 Sep 2012 00:17

Even when you are non-lucid, your brain is working very hard during all your REM phases. Your brain gets it's rest during the deeper sleep periods between REM cycles. Your body is getting it's rest the entire time, REM or not...so there really is no difference between lucid and non-lucid dreaming, as far as rest goes.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

Sloth

Postby Sloth » 29 Sep 2012 20:09

Thanks so much for the answers!!!!

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Sep 2012 05:33

I wake up exhausted afer long deep lucid dreams, by these I mean dreams of an hour or longer. Also I find that in a period where I am having a lot of lucid dreams my walking life is more enhanced. By this I feel a sense of wellbeing greater that usual and can have an after glow that lasts for a day or more after a deep lucid dream.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Sep 2012 10:43

Waking life is still very important because thats where real things are. As great as lucid dreaming is, its all abstract, none of it is real, you cannot fall in love with a dream character as its a one way relationship. I guess the whole psychological component of knowing you are actually influencing other things that arent apart of you is what gives reality its value.

Furthermore if you are unhappy in waking life you probably wont be happy in the dreamstate, unless your desires are fairly materialistc (the words sounds horribly out of place). Basically most of my desires are psychological, spawning food to eat or even have sex with a dream character wont give me true happiness, sure I will experience a positive state but it wont help on a fundamental level. At the end of the day its all just experiences you can generate and explore and have fun with, the same could actually be said about waking reality I guess but again the main difference is that the other objects are real.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 30 Sep 2012 14:32

Where can I order Calea Zacatechichi? :|

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 30 Sep 2012 17:32

Okay so I had this weird dream (nonlucid) where I was trying to escape from these people and the only way how was to use this teleporter. For some reason I knew how it worked immediately, how to use it and how it was made. Where did it come from? I never thought of it before so I don't know where it came from my self conscious mind. How did it just simply be there? :?:

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Sep 2012 18:49

Sterre Duiker wrote:Okay so I had this weird dream (nonlucid) where I was trying to escape from these people and the only way how was to use this teleporter. For some reason I knew how it worked immediately, how to use it and how it was made. Where did it come from? I never thought of it before so I don't know where it came from my self conscious mind. How did it just simply be there? :?:

In my opinion, our consciousness is like a kind of teleportation device and that's how we got here. We use it every night in dreams taking the database of information and using it to create a virtual reality simulation that "transports" ourselves to different places to have experiences. It really doesn't matter if we are actually "going" anywhere because we can have the same experience.

I think we also do this in waking life, but there the activity is collective and much more stable. I believe the universe is made of information waves undefined matter, composed of endless possibilties and containing "everything". We are like receivers that tune into it and decode it, creating our "reality" based on 5 senses.

Teleportation has actually been done at the quantum level, I read about but can't remember if the original actually goes to the new location and is recreated there or whether an exact copy is made at the new location and the original stays, either way, what's the difference?

I think the concept of teleportaion is just a matter of moving information from one place to another. Everything already exists in all location anyway. Quantum physics has proven that reality is non-local so this idea is not really far-fetched.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

willlem

Postby willlem » 01 Oct 2012 19:13

Sloth wrote:I just started the e-course yesterday!

1) Once you are an expert of lucid dreaming, that you are 100% conscious and can control everything that is around you in this "parallel universe".. what makes reality so special?

2) If the brain is working even more than when you're awake, don't you feel incredibly tired when you actually wake up? Does lucid dreaming affect the "resting properties" of sleep?

1: you will answer this yourself in due time, just keep thinking

2: not at all

reread this when you are there, just for fun

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”