sleep paralysis and my mom.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Lucid Dreamer

sleep paralysis and my mom.

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 20 Sep 2012 17:16

Hello all. My mother the other night (well almost a month ago) had a lucid dream. she told me about it, but then she described to me about how alot of times when in bed, she will feel her arm , but not be able to move it. she says it really scares her but then she tries to tell herself that it is alright. the other day, (about a month ago) she asked me a couple of questions. i had alot myself actually. so. sleep paralysis is when you are asleep right? so you if can feel your physical body paralysed, how do you move onto an ld from there? i know that if you wiggle your fingers and toes, that will help. but does it wake you up entirely, or just push you into the dream state? when you are in sleep paralysis, is your mind in a dream state, or a physical knowing state, or fleeting between the two?

thank you! please respond!

(by the way, i posted this in sleep disorders, but i assumed more people would see it and respond here.)
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

sonicrush888

Re: sleep paralysis and my mom.

Postby sonicrush888 » 01 Oct 2012 18:05

Ok then, I hope this clears it up a bit...

When you a sleep paralysed your body is in a "protection" mode. I think it is protecting you from getting your brain messed up. It happens when you are disrupted i.e. woken up during REM sleep. It can happen when you are waking up OR falling asleep. You are awake during it. You've already mentioned how to get out of it. When you wiggle your fingers/toes, you will likely wake straight back up, although I think there is a small chance you can go into sleep, and probably start a Lucid Dream. During Sleep Paralysis you are in a waking state, NOT a dreaming state.

There is no damage that can be caused by Sleep Paralysis (other than emotional, since sometimes demon figures can start talking to you, but I won't go into detail on that) although it might take you longer to get up than normal, because you've got to get out of paralysis first. I've never had sleep paralysis so can't help much more than that.

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 02 Oct 2012 03:07

thank you. that helped very much. does anyone know how to get into a lucid dream state from sleep paralysis?
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

sonicrush888

Postby sonicrush888 » 02 Oct 2012 07:10

Lucid Dreamer wrote:thank you. that helped very much. does anyone know how to get into a lucid dream state from sleep paralysis?

I don't think there is a specific method, I think you just need to relax as much as you can while VERY slowly wiggling you second (index) and third (middle) fingers.

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 02 Oct 2012 09:12

My most recent LD happened from a state of sleep paralysis. I realized that I couldn't move my body and instead of panicking, I immediately took action. I stayed calm and just very slowly pushed against the weight. I pushed myself into a sitting position, got up, did a reality check and confirmed that I was dreaming. Some might say this was an OBE, but for me, it seemed like a dream state because my scenery started changing once I walked out of my apartment and my body had classic signs of being in a dream state - i.e. my thumb was fused to my other fingers on one hand.

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 02 Oct 2012 17:45

oo. that is creepy. but from what that sounds like, you became in a dream state even though you were aware that your physical body could not move. how did you transition into this dream state from a waking state of awareness?

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 02 Oct 2012 18:07

Lucid Dreamer wrote:but from what that sounds like, you became in a dream state even though you were aware that your physical body could not move. how did you transition into this dream state from a waking state of awareness?

Well, I never noticed any change. I became conscious while my body was asleep - it was paralyzed - and in that same conscious state, I lifted out of my body and started walking around. I did a reality check by bouncing around and flying a little bit. My apartment and everything looked familiar, but after walking out and going down the stairs, I did another reality check - looked at my hands and noticed the weirdness - and while I was doing that reality check, I looked up and was suddenly in a completely different environment.

This was my first sleep paralysis experience since learning about lucid dreaming a couple of months ago. Before that, it happened sporadically many times in my life and was terrifying. I would panic and think that I must have had a stroke and would start to think that the rest of my life would be spent in full mental awareness yet in a veggie body. These thoughts would go on for a few mins until I would finally remember that this had happened before and that I just needed to calm down and go back to sleep. I never even knew there was a term for this until I started reading this website. Anyway, I've been planning that the next time this happened, I would use the experience to try to have a lucid dream since I've read that people here do that. So, what I described above is what happened with that attempt. And just a disclaimer...I'm no expert, and people may want to debate about what I experienced being something else - maybe an OBE, a false awakening, whatever. All I am certain of is that I was fully conscious, my body was paralyzed, and I lifted up and started walking around and flying and putting my hands through walls and talking to dream characters. Once I was out of my body, it felt just like DILD's that I've had in the past.

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 03 Oct 2012 14:46

so what your saying is that the next time my mom gets this, i should just tell her to wiggle her fingers and get up and walk around? it is just by chance that she might move into a dream state or waking state. so she might get up out of her real bed and be awake. but she also might get out of a dream bed and be dreaming? it is just chance?

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 03 Oct 2012 15:45

Lucid Dreamer wrote:so what your saying is that the next time my mom gets this, i should just tell her to wiggle her fingers and get up and walk around? it is just by chance that she might move into a dream state or waking state. so she might get up out of her real bed and be awake. but she also might get out of a dream bed and be dreaming? it is just chance?

It depends on what your mom wants to do...does she want to try to have an LD? If not, if it freaks her out, then the best thing she can do during sleep paralysis is deep breathe and try to go back to sleep, knowing that it's temporary and that she will be fine when she wakes up. But if she does want to have an LD, then yes, suggest those things to her.

If she's in a state of SP and manages to sit up and walk around, it will just be a dream...she will be consciously dreaming and she can test that by doing reality checks. Some people may say that it's an OBE...maybe it could be, but that hasn't been my experience because though my room and apartment may look the same, when I do reality checks, it becomes apparent that it's just a dream. Any realistic setting that I'm seeing (such as my room, apartment) is what my memory/subconscious is creating based on what I know to be real.

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 03 Oct 2012 15:55

i did some research and understand it now. thanks for your help on getting me started!

Return to “For Beginners”