I have a few problems with Hypnagogia

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sloth

I have a few problems with Hypnagogia

Postby Sloth » 29 Sep 2012 20:25

Hey everybody!! I'm totally new to Lucid Dreaming, and I started the e-course about 10 days ago...!! In the last few days i've been trying to perform WILDs, usually in early evening (around 7/8pm).

To do so i've practiced the Total relaxation technique (to make the body fall asleep), which I find myself really confortable with: it takes me about 25 minutes listening to Meditation Power’s Lucid Dream MP3, but after that I feel my body totally asleep, and almost can't move it (I have to admit that's a pretty awesome sensation).
The problem is (if that's a problem) that my mind is 100% awake, as if i've just been waiting 25 minutes laying down. I try to focus on hypnagogia but all I see is total blackness, maybe some far away swirling lights, but nothing more. That's where I get stuck. I try to control those lights, but it really doesn't take me anywhere, and it is extremely hard for me to try to form complex shapes.
Can anybody help me?? Thank you so much!! :mrgreen:

Peter

Re: I have a few problems with Hypnagogia

Postby Peter » 30 Sep 2012 06:03

You cant control the lights you need to observe them and let them come to you. Forget WILD for while as it is the hardest to come to terms with and is very hard to achieve in the early evening.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

FantasyMind

Postby FantasyMind » 30 Sep 2012 09:00

Doing it in the evening is going to be pretty hard... How about sleeping as normal for 6 hours, waking up and then doing WILD? Basically WBTB? That'll make you more sleepier.... I achieved my first lucid dream by doing this. try not to MAKE the hypnagogia appear, relax as if you are about to go to sleep, but do not fully let your consciousness slip, and LET the hypnagogia appear. Good luck, the technique is challenging :)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Are you dreaming?

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 02 Oct 2012 14:28

I have had several spontaneous DILD's but have never been successful at WILD's and have the same problem you describe. The LD tutorial videos on this site suggest that you should be able to manipulate those swirling lights into very vivid objects and then a whole scene and then just pop into the scene...I've never been able to MAKE anything out of the swirls...occassionally if I just focus on the lights, I'll see images form, but they only last a few seconds. So...I guess what I'm saying is...I can relate! If you've never had an LD and are starting with WILD's, I would suggest shooting for a DILD first. What I do is read about LD stuff before bed, do some deep breathing and fun visualizations (and these happen in my mind's eye - not from the hypnagogic swirly lights) and just drift off into sleep. Sometimes I have one, sometimes I don't. I also would LOVE to be able to do WILD's

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Oct 2012 08:27

The timing for a WILD is insane as there is literally an instant where you are lucid or you are asleep and really it does not matter how you get lucid at all as long as you get lucid if that is the goal. Sometimes the HI forms into images and dreams and other times it seems to jump from spots to a dream with me in there. Its capturing that instant of sleep and staying aware so keep observing and if you go to sleep thats great. You have missed the entry but the concentration and focus is about right so next time if you feel you are close flick your eyes open for an instant and put some wakefulness back into yourself. You most likely won't lose the HI but will be a little more awake and might catch that instant for a WILD. Its best after a good few hours sleep and having been up for a while to wake up
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”