Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
JeeZii

Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming?

Postby JeeZii » 05 Oct 2012 14:39

Hi everyone! As you can see, I'm new. And I made an account hoping that friendly people can help me achieve my first lucid dream.

I've read some articles online about lucid dreaming yesterday and successfully reached sleep paralysis. That's when I heard a buzzing noise, freaked out, then opened my eyes. Only after a while did I switch a position. Then fall asleep normally.

I did some research today and found out that the buzzing noise is the transition between my waking state to dreaming state. Is that true?

Also I've read some stuff on sleep paralysis paranoia and now I'm scared to try again. However, I really want to lucid dream. So is sleep paralysis a necessary step to lucid dreaming? If so, under what circumstances would there be paranoia? How do I freak out less during sleep paralysis paranoia? Is paranoia really worth experiencing for lucid dreaming?

I'm an atheist. I think paranoia has something to do with religion, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'd also like to know the relationships/differences/similarities between the following: sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, OBE, and astral projection

Thanks in advance!

FantasyMind

Re: Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming?

Postby FantasyMind » 05 Oct 2012 17:54

Try not to freak out when hearing the buzzing noise. Ignore it if you can... This will take you into hynagogia which hopefully takes you to the dream state. If you're scared to go through the noises, try falling asleep like normal and realise you are dreaming (DILD) this is an easier technique but not as powerful as WILD :).
I don't think sleep paralysis is a necessary step to lucid dreaming. I've never gone through it whenever I lucid dream. I guess it's just a disorder. Not many people have it regularly, but everyone will have it in some part of their lives. If you are performing WILD, it increases your chances in having sleep paralysis. I've haven't heard of sleep paralysis paranoia, sorry :?
Are you dreaming?

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 05 Oct 2012 23:27

Ok, first off, if you are new to lucid dreaming, I would recommend practicing the MILD technique. What you are doing is the WILD technique, which is the most difficult way to induce a lucid dream. Everyone single person goes into sleep paralysis every night. That is what stops you from acting out your dreams, but you usually don't enter it until your mind is already asleep, so you never know you're actually in it.
As far as the paranoia goes, just relax into it when you start hearing things; that means you are entering the dream state. Not everyone experiences paranoia, it just depends on you. SP paranoia is most commonly associated with night terrors. People don't realize they are under sleep paralysis and start to freak out because you can hear and see things while under it because you are in the middle of transferring into the dream world.
You do not have to go through SP to have a lucid dream. The most common LDs are DILDs. This is when you are in a dream already and realize something is wrong. You test for reality and find out you are dreaming a voila! Lucid dream!
The mind is a beautiful thing

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Oct 2012 01:39

I've read some articles online about lucid dreaming yesterday and successfully reached sleep paralysis. That's when I heard a buzzing noise, freaked out, then opened my eyes. Only after a while did I switch a position. Then fall asleep normally.

I did some research today and found out that the buzzing noise is the transition between my waking state to dreaming state. Is that true?

The buzzing noises are not really explainable with any certainly.

Sleep researchers usually make the claim that they're the result of muscle spasms in the middle hear, but there are only two extremely tiny muscles in the middle ear (the tensor tympani and stapedius), but both of these have the function of dampening sound waves not making them and even if we accept the idea that they're having spasms and rattling the three bones that normally transmit sound to the inner ear (the malleus, incus and stapes bones, or in English the hammer, anvil and stirrup) there's no reason for them to be having muscle spasms during REM muscle atonia.

Tinnitus (the medical term for these noises) can be caused by several things only one of which are "muscle spasms". Objective tinnitus can be heard by both the physician and patient, as far as I know none of the sleep researchers is an actual MD who has tested to hear if these sounds are at all happening. subjective tinnitus is also very common in which the sounds are imaginary. The SP buzzing noises are most likely of this sort, being dream "images" inspired by normal hearing, in any case they're not normal during WILDs The normal transition from sleep to dreams is from normal wakefulness to hypnagogia to NREM dreams, which are followed by dreamless sleep after which rem muscle atonia starts and then REM dreams. In a normal WILD in which one has unbroken consciousness throughout the sleep state and back to normal waking does not have either these noises or the SP experience. I think the SP experience is a type of dream inspired by REM muscle atonia.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Oct 2012 01:54

I'm an atheist. I think paranoia has something to do with religion, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'd also like to know the relationships/differences/similarities between the following: sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, OBE, and astral projection

The old hag experience has nothing to do with religion and may happen out of SP or separately from it and if happening with SP can happen before, during or after it and yes atheists have old hag experiences.

The second is much more complicated. An OBE and astral projection are the same thing the OBE term being used by those who want to separate the experience from the occult, though even in the occult an astral projection might not be identical with an OBE (Theosophy makes a distinction between a projection into the real world that it calls an etheric project and of astral projections into worlds)

In any case the OBE can happen both while asleep and while awake. The sleeping ones are most likely types of dreams.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Oct 2012 20:55

Sleep Paralysis doesn't ALWAYS happen for me and when it does it is different everytime. I have only ever been in that state AFTER a lucid dream though so never had a true Wake Induced Lucid Dream. But I am familiar with that buzzing sound and yes, it is a prelude to a lucid dream. If you relax and become familiar with all the strange sensations it will eventually lead to imagery and then POP! a 3d world. But it took me a while because there can be some very strange feelings. I swore I could feel my bed sheets getting pulled off, or something sinister in the room or feel a depression in my bed beside me as though something sat down beside me. A few times I had been lifted and dragged out of bed against my will by an evil force, just like something out of a demonic-possession-movie.

I am a skeptic atheist too, but even a scary movie will frighten me so those types of things can be terrifying to the uninitiated. It hasn't happened in a while and I blame that on familiarity. I actually kind of miss it because in retrospect it was exciting. (knowing what I know now).

SO sleep paralysis doesn't always happen (for me), but it might. But knowing about it before hand, you can keep your wits about you and not blame it on demons or the supernatural and although it left me a little shaken a few times, it was beneficial and apart of the learning process. I actually never attempted to lucid dream voluntarily, and had many before my first SP, but just somehow knew it was a part of the territory and led to better lucid dreaming in the long run.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Oct 2012 21:18

Snaggle wrote:The buzzing noises are not really explainable with any certainly.

Sleep researchers usually make the claim that they're the result of muscle spasms in the middle hear, but there are only two extremely tiny muscles in the middle ear (the tensor tympani and stapedius), but both of these have the function of dampening sound waves not making them and even if we accept the idea that they're having spasms and rattling the three bones that normally transmit sound to the inner ear (the malleus, incus and stapes bones, or in English the hammer, anvil and stirrup) there's no reason for them to be having muscle spasms during REM muscle atonia.

I have a theory about it. You know when you yawn... doesn't it make your ears hear a muffled, "Shhhhh", white noise type of sound? (or maybe it's just me). And yawning has always been associated with sleep. To know what sound I am talking about, place your hands over your ears right now. I actually hear MORE with my hands on my ears. (make sure you are in a silent room first). I hear that same sorta 'shhhh', white noise sound. It's probably the sounds of my own body or something. I think in that sate of mind THAT is what I am hearing and since I am half dreaming it becomes different familiar sounds and for most that is buzzing. It has also become crickets chirping and even a chainsaw for me before. But since the mind is receiving no outside auditory information and hasn't created it's own yet, we experience that halfway point and for most it is a buzzing noise.

Anyway, that's my theory. I have no proof and am just saying what if....

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Oct 2012 04:07

Just this morning I almost had a WILD. I woke up and went back to sleep with the intention of staying conscious and sure enough, I felt the familiar vibration sounds and a muffled drone sound. I looked around and knew I wasn't in my real bed and saw an exhaust fan on the wall and that was making the noise (my brain making sense of it.) I still don't know why there is any noise at all, but it tends to be a droning white noise and I think it has something to do with the brain making noise in the head that is not coming from any external source so it 'fills the void' so to speak. I lost focus and it ended, but it was still a good learning experience and I stand by my theory.

Return to “For Beginners”