Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Bleekman117

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Bleekman117 » 03 Oct 2012 05:23

Haha, don't worry Sander, that has happened to me too and I know it is frustrating, but you're on the right path!

By incubation I mean when you are meditating, think of how you would like the dream to play out. Or if you find yourself day dreaming, do the same. Then before you go to sleep, once you've become relaxed, try and visualize the dream in your head and play through it. Who knows, you may get a surprise WILD!
Incubation of dreams is just trying to implant that dream into your subconscious. A lot of dreams are derived from your experiences the preceding day, so if you think about a certain dream you wish to have that night, throughout the day, the more likely you are to actually have that dream!

Maerd, Sander did a thorough job of explaining it, but here's a simple version.

WBTB- Wake Back To Bed. Simply wake up in the middle of an REM cycle and go back to sleep to improve dream recall and awareness in a dream.

WILD- Wake Induced Lucid Dream. Going straight from being awake to being in a dream, without losing mental consciousness/awareness. A technique highly favored by Tibetan Monks.

Artavis, sounds like you may have been trying too hard. It DEFINITELY should not take 2 years to have one LD. On average I tell people it will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how determined and serious you are about it. If it has screwed up your sleep schedule that bad, then taking a break is a good idea. Start trying again once you've fixed it and come back here with any questions and I will do my best to help you along your path to the amazing world of conscious dreaming! :)
The mind is a beautiful thing

Sander

Postby Sander » 03 Oct 2012 13:19

Bleekman117 wrote:Haha, don't worry Sander, that has happened to me too and I know it is frustrating, but you're on the right path!

By incubation I mean when you are meditating, think of how you would like the dream to play out. Or if you find yourself day dreaming, do the same. Then before you go to sleep, once you've become relaxed, try and visualize the dream in your head and play through it. Who knows, you may get a surprise WILD!
Incubation of dreams is just trying to implant that dream into your subconscious. A lot of dreams are derived from your experiences the preceding day, so if you think about a certain dream you wish to have that night, throughout the day, the more likely you are to actually have that dream!

thanks.
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

maerd

Postby maerd » 03 Oct 2012 23:18

Bleekman117.. thanks!

before knowing about LD i use to play around 'visualization' and the only point i was able to reach is high places (top of a building, mountain..etc) and then (dont know y) i always jumped, and once i hit the ground
i wake up! thats as far as i got..

this seemed to happen whenever i notice that im in control.. unfortunately i get too excited and wake up :s

now after knowing about LD .. i cant seem to do any of this anymore..

artavis durden

Postby artavis durden » 04 Oct 2012 02:22

Thanks bleekman17.......I'm frustrated nd reddish to give up but I'm not when I first got brown lding I almost got it on first attempt but I looked on other sites n did a bunch of wbtb techs nd wild nd days yet messed me up..........my next lucid dreaming attempt is January 8 2013

[ Post made via Android ] Image

John4Yout

Postby John4Yout » 05 Oct 2012 01:54

I have recently had something happen in my dreams where I say I am dreaming and I think that I am dreaming, but nothing happens. I believe that me saying I am dreaming is just part of the normal dream dialogue that people experience and it was likely influenced by reading articles on this website, but I want to know why saying I am dreaming, although I did not mean to say it, did not cause me to have a lucid dream.

Thanks,

John

Mox

Postby Mox » 05 Oct 2012 14:28

Hey, it's great that you created this thread.

I'm barely beginning, trying out MILD, jotting down dreams(failing at the moment) and doing regular reality checks(two different ones), but I wanted to ask whether you have any extra tips? :?:

EDIT: Are naps any good to record extra dreams?

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 05 Oct 2012 23:16

Maerd, that is odd that that doesn't happen anymore. I'm not really sure as to why knowing about LDing would stop that from happening... But don't worry about getting too excited, that happens to everyone. Next time try and take a few deep breaths and calm yourself down a bit before proceeding in the dream.

Artavis, good luck to you!

John, what your experiencing is most likely happening because you are reading about LDing, as you said. Try reassuring yourself before you go to bed that if that happens again, you will stop and actually check if you are dreaming. It is a weird problem, but one great problem to have! Haha

Mox, let me first start off by saying welcome! Lucid dreaming is such a thrilling experience, once you have one you will be hooked! It sounds like you are on the right track! The couple things I can suggest is try and integrate about 20 minutes of meditation into your daily routine if you can, but don't worry if you can't. Also, try watching the subliminal video on the main site before you go to bed. Other than that, you are on the way to having your first lucid dream and all I can say now is good luck! And yes, naps are a good time to record more dreams.

Mox

Postby Mox » 06 Oct 2012 23:17

Thanks for the welcome Bleekman.

I'm going to try the meditation(probably in the evenings), as well as watching the video.

But I have another question: do you have any tips regarding dream recall? I've read on the site that eating certain foods(e.g.: cheese) helps, but is there anything else I could do? I'm asking because my dream journal is still empty... :(

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 07 Oct 2012 06:31

While you are laying down, about to fall asleep, say that you are going to remember your dreams over and over again in your head. Really try and ingrain that idea into your subconscious. Other than that, there is nothing else I can say. Just make sure you write down ANYTHING you can, even if its just a feeling you had after you wake up and not actually a dream. Aim to write at least one thing down every morning.

Sander

Postby Sander » 07 Oct 2012 15:19

also when you wake up, don't move a muscle and just think about what you might have dreamed. look around. simply seeing a color made me remember a dream recently.
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Return to “For Beginners”