Having trouble and would like guidance

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Westy215

Having trouble and would like guidance

Postby Westy215 » 30 Sep 2012 14:42

Hello people of this website!
I am new to these forums but I am not new to this concept. I was hoping someone would be able to guide me through the issues I am having with Lucid Dreaming.

But before I can explain the problem that I need to give appropriate background information.

I am currently at university and in conjunction with my work as well as my lifestyle, I simply do not have a consistent sleep pattern. I spend a large amount of my spare time playing video games on my computer and I am often a bit absent minded about many things, especially of just general awareness including time, day, etc. Also I am not of the creative type. I am more mathematical and have a poor imagination as a result (Not saying all mathematical people are, I just mean myself only) I have read up on lucid dreaming using this site plus others and books so I am somewhat learned in Lucid Dreaming.

I have been attempting to perform the DILD technique for at least 3 months now. I would perform the reality checks as often and consistently as I could manage with the exception to when I was on video games, wherein my absent mindedness would make me forget to do them for the duration of play. I would also do 15 minutes of mediation with isochronic tones both to help with lucidity and just for personal mental health. My dream recall was perfect and by that point I was able to recall 2 dreams a night and in vivid detail. I had isolated most of the dream signs and tried to associate them with reality checks however it once again ties back into video games and absent mindedness.
After some frustration I caved in and stopped the DILD method and moved on to the WILD technique in hopes that I would get some luck there. 2 weeks in and I had experienced nothing. I would remain motionless and mindless for 30 minutes before my body forces a full scale fit and I wake back up again. This would ruin my sleep for that night and so I had to stop it earlier on then the DILD technique.

I would really appreciate some guidance and maybe some direction as to how I can have my first proper lucid dream because I have the dedication and the will, but not the mind.

Thanks

Snaggle

Re: Having trouble and would like guidance

Postby Snaggle » 01 Oct 2012 11:22

Fortunately for you one does not have to be alert or creative to lucid dream.

DILD method- recalling your dreams was an excellent start. You should be able to incubate lucidity, as you're having problems with what I assume are visual reality checks (which likely are rendered less effective by your lack of imagination) you should switch to verbal ones such as: how did I get here?; where was I before this?; Is this real? or what was I doing? You might also want to practice this while awake.

WILD method- You're paying too much attention to your body. Just relax it as if you were going to sleep normally and then ignore it. You need to stop thinking and give your mind something to focus on that will allow it to slow to a theta brain wave state at which time HI will start appearing. You could use a math formula as a mantra to take you in. It just has to be a focal point to keep your consciousness active.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Peter

Postby Peter » 02 Oct 2012 01:17

The concept for me is attention without engagement so the mind slows down and you quietly observe this
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 05 Oct 2012 23:38

If you don't have a solid sleeping pattern, that is the first thing you need to fix. You have to get at least eight hours of sleep a night, otherwise you are pretty much cutting your chances to have a lucid dream in half.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2012 02:39

I spent most of my life with less that 5 hours sleep and a lot with around 3 and have lucid dreamed all my life so am wary of your statement as it is not true in my case
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 07 Oct 2012 06:37

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm just going based off of my facts. The longer you sleep, the longer your REM cycles are, therefor it gives you a better chance to have a LD. I never said it was impossible to have LDs with less than eight hours. Some people are just naturally better at LDing, which I assume you are. But generally, for beginners, it is better to get more sleep so your REM cycles are longer.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Oct 2012 08:33

I think that you might find that its a case of opposites, good sleep habits and bad sleep habits might give the same effect with normal REM and a REM increase with bad sleep habits.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Oct 2012 04:30

Westy215 wrote:I have the dedication and the will, but not the mind.

I know what you mean. It all sounds good on paper. Theoretically, if you check off all the things required, you will lucid dream. Other things in life are as simple as that, but our minds are finicky and.. well... HAVE A MIND OF THEIR OWN! It doesn't always work that way and the more you try the more it may elude you.

It's almost like you just have to LET GO and be open to your dream side of life. But those are only words. I don't know how to teach someone to lucid dream, I don't even know why I do it sometimes and other times I don't.

This is not helpful, but one thing I know: mathematics cannot explain it. I am quite mathematical (but have a good imagination), and also play video games to the point of getting the 'Tetris Effect". (That's when you close your eyes and still see the game.) So I feel we share many similarities, but why do I lucid dream, I don't know. What is the magic recipe or missing ingredient? I just don't know...... (this was no help at all! :lol: )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 08 Oct 2012 06:16

Peter wrote:I think that you might find that its a case of opposites, good sleep habits and bad sleep habits might give the same effect with normal REM and a REM increase with bad sleep habits.

That makes sense. Your lack of sleep makes you have more REM sleep when you do actually sleep.

Peter

Postby Peter » 08 Oct 2012 08:30

same deal if someone has been drinking they will have missed a lot of sleep if they get to bed late and if they have a few cells still working then they may get a heap of vivid dreams in the REM soaked small hours. I think in a lot of cases opposites are true - an ultra fit athlete and an alcoholic with major health issues will have the same results for a few tests but one is healthy and one is not

Return to “For Beginners”