Reality checks in the dark with only moonlight

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Reality checks in the dark with only moonlight

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Oct 2012 05:07

Had a dream where I was walking on a road through a forest in the late afternoon. The autumn colors were quite beautiful so I continued even though it was getting dark. Soon it got dark but there was enough moonlight to keep going, but the thought came along that maybe I should do a reality check, just one of those routine ones you do when you're already sure you are awake. RIGHT. So I carefully looked at my hands in the moonlight, but could only see it in the partial light of moon with the shadows of the tree limbs obscuring the details. I moved them around in the partial light and there was enough to see that they were normal and had exactly 5 fingers, even after several checks. That was a first. Later after waking I was sad about the missed opportunity, but realized that the problem wasn't the lighting, it was the mistaken belief that I was awake that made the reality check come out "normal" (waking). The moral of story is: you never know for sure if you are awake, so never make that assumtion, never tell yourself "I know I'm awake, but I will do this reality check anyway." You may fool yourself.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Re: Reality checks in the dark with only moonlight

Postby Peter » 07 Oct 2012 05:48

Sounds like one of those dreams where I would be happy to just keep walking and dont worry about being lucid. The non lucids and daily life just get closer all the time.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Oct 2012 17:28

I was really happy just walking and ever since having lucid dreams as you say, even the non-lucids are almost exactly the same as waking life. For me, there seems to be 2 reasons for that: one is that I know how real dreams are now, and two is the memories of dreams are more like waking life memories which is the main reason. For example, while I was walking the clouds moved in and blocked the only source of light which was the moon. I started to panic a little, but then remembered that I had a flashlight in my pocket. I remember the exact feel of the flashlight when I held it and turned it on, and the memory was more like a waking life memory so after waking it almost felt like it was a lucid dream anyway. The line between vivid and lucid is sure starting to blur.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 07 Oct 2012 18:30

This was good for me to read right now. I've been emailing my LD experiences to my aunt who is the only person I can talk to about this stuff. My main RC is to look at my hands and they have always been disfigured if I'm dreaming...it's been a consistent RC for me. Well, after I mentioned jumping off the 3rd floor of my apartment building to fly, she cautioned to be sure I do a reality check RIGHT before I do something like that again - she said she doesn't want to hear about me sleeping walking and jumping off for real. I don't think that's possible since LD's happen during REM but anyway, it freaks me out a little that your hands were normal in your dream...maybe I'll just do all of my flying starting from the ground...no more jumping off of buildings!

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Oct 2012 18:32

I think that the feelings of the dream start to be recalled as well as you get better at recall and that is what puts the reality into the dream. It becomes more you doing the tasks rather than recalling something you were watching.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Oct 2012 18:50

beadietux wrote: My main RC is to look at my hands and they have always been disfigured if I'm dreaming...it's been a consistent RC for me. Well, after I mentioned jumping off the 3rd floor of my apartment building to fly, she cautioned to be sure I do a reality check RIGHT before I do something like that again - she said she doesn't want to hear about me sleeping walking and jumping off for real. I don't think that's possible since LD's happen during REM but anyway, it freaks me out a little that your hands were normal in your dream...

Mine are always disfigured too, usually missing fingers or the number of fingers changes after a few looks. This was the first time and hoping that it's not a trend since this is my most reliable RC. The problem with this RC was that I was too certain that I was awake because it was so perfectly real and that's the main problem. You can't judge dreams by how real they are and I still can't get that out of my head. You really have to stop believing you can tell the difference. When you are awake, you can tell for sure that you are not dreaming, but when you are dreaming, you usually can't tell. That's where the problem is, but the only way to work on that is during the awake hours where, despite the fact you know you are not dreaming you still have to work on the belief that you can tell the difference.

Peter wrote:I think that the feelings of the dream start to be recalled as well as you get better at recall and that is what puts the reality into the dream. It becomes more you doing the tasks rather than recalling something you were watching.

The kind of recall itself is changing. The memories after waking are more like remembering what you did yesterday, less and less like the blurry "dream" memories of the past where it was like remembering a television show you watched. It makes all dreams more similar to lucid dreams. I would call it something like vivid dream/waking life memory.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Oct 2012 20:33

It makes all dreams more similar to lucid dreams. I would call it something like vivid dream/waking life memory.

True - I have said it many times that the vivids now contain me recalling life memories and incorporating them into the dream. They are not lucid but sadly as real as a lot of non lucid days in real life. Those ones that you get through and they were not special or like a day travelling where its just dead time. Lucids are different and so are days in waking life when you are fully switched on, they are dreamlike in a good solid day.

As far as RC go a lot of the time my hands are normal and when they are like this I put one through the other, its an odd feeling to put a real looking finger through a real looking hand and a bit eery the first few times. You feel the tingles but also have more of a feeling of flesh going through flesh. Another oddity of the mind and it takes some solid intent to do this.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Oct 2012 07:30

(I read this and wanted to quote and respond to everybody, but that would take too much effort (and I agreed with everyone anyway, so no more needs to be said), so I just decided to go off and talk on my own and hopefully it is on topic to something, somewhere to somebody....)

I've had a few regular dreams that, only after recalling them, do I realize just how vivid and lucid-like they were. Blades of grass or textured walls, at the time don't amaze me, but after awakening, I realize just how vivid it really was and it was basically the same as a lucid dream, but I was in a zombie/stooper state of mind and I didn't realize it when it was happening.

I have come to realize that with lucid dreaming, as far as my own experience can tell, it is not so much what is happening or what world you are in. That is always different. But knowing who YOU ARE that makes you lucid! The sense of SELF! Then you have free will no matter how vivid or vague the dream is. I have had a few vague lucid day dreams and I have also run the full gamut to full WILD (whao-this can't-be-real-holy-shit) dreams. But one thing is true to all lucid dreams no matter what.... Do you know who you are and can you have an internal dialogue independant from the 'world' around you?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”