I need help with my lucid dreaming!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Dream_Wolf

I need help with my lucid dreaming!

Postby Dream_Wolf » 11 Oct 2012 02:59

hiya! well i have come with a question so ill get started :D ok so ive been trying lucid dreaming for a couple of weeks now and yet i haven`t gotten one yet. so, this is what i do:
every night, i lay on my back or on my side and get relaxed. After i enter the hypnogognia state. after that,i tell myself that i am dreaming while every night i try a slightly different way to approch the visualization. Then, im stuck. I cant go to sleep and i usually wake up and try again and again but im always stuck at that part. i usually end up falling asleep. so does anyone know whats wrong? i do my MILD`s, ive tried other `ILD`s before, ect. ect.,
And here are a couple things i also need a answer too:
-does depression effect lucid dreams?
- does being a left-handed matter? (im asking because i know that the brain always workes differently when the persons left handed -.-)
So thanks for reading this loong post XD lol i will really apprectiate anything you give my from advice to ways :) lol sorry if there also isnt enough detail lol i did this quickly XD

Snaggle

Re: I need help with my lucid dreaming!

Postby Snaggle » 11 Oct 2012 05:46

...every night, i lay on my back or on my side and get relaxed. After i enter the hypnogognia state. after that,i tell myself that i am dreaming while every night i try a slightly different way to approach the visualization. Then, im stuck. I cant go to sleep and i usually wake up and try again and again but im always stuck at that part. i usually end up falling asleep. so does anyone know whats wrong?

You're trying too hard to force a dream which is likely pulling you out of the theta brain wave state of hypnagogia. To do a WILD one needs to be concentrating to keep your brain alert, but you also need to be slowing it to the theta state so that HI can start and stay in theta long enough for dreams to start, note different part of the brain can be in different brain wave states and if you were in a pure theta state you would be asleep. Keeping it simple though as you don't seem to have much control over or experience of the different states you should just try to ride HI into NREM dreams and then ride them into REM dreams.

A simple primer on brain wave states.

Gamma state- deep thought and directed emotional state. It can be combined with theta for the best LD, but don't try to yet.

Beta state- normal active thought.

Alpha state- basic state one is in when observing and imagining, the images that flash into your consciousness are a lot like primitive HI, though much less stable and vivid.

Theta state- hypnagogic images start to appear in there most basic form they're simple images or scenes, slightly better ones can be like slide shows, the best are like PC games and some of mine have been actual PC games of the simpler sort that I've played in this state. Note: HI, NREM dreams and REM dreams all happen in theta states. NREM dream states are like normal dream states, but it's also the stage in which people act out dreams with their bodies or sleepwalk or like me sleep talk, Rem muscle atonia happens after NREM dreams, but in a normal WILD one just experiences it as a transitional image followed by REM dreams that are normally much more vivid and which one confuses with reality for an instant when they kick in.

I would suggest you just try to passively ride in HI and NREM dreams into REM dreams. I one tries to play with these lesser as in practice dream control you can pull yourself out of the theta state easily.

does depression effect lucid dreams?

Not in my experience, I've had/ done WILDS both in the gloomy and cheery periods of my life.

does being a left-handed matter? (im asking because i know that the brain always workes differently when the persons left handed -.-)

Not likely, I'm ambidextrous and can switch hand and/ or eye dominance at will and have done WILDS with both my right eye dominant or my left eye dominant, which is essentially with either hand dominant as far as the brain goes.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 11 Oct 2012 21:25

i would say try doing reality checks. throughout the day i ask myself if im dreaming while looking at my hands. this has showed great results. as far as being depressed i would say yes it may affect lucid dreaming. lucid dreaming has to do with awareness in real life and in dreaming. being depressed is a distraction.
What is your definition of reality?

Dream_Wolf

Postby Dream_Wolf » 11 Oct 2012 21:52

dreamerinmiami wrote:i would say try doing reality checks. throughout the day i ask myself if im dreaming while looking at my hands. this has showed great results. as far as being depressed i would say yes it may affect lucid dreaming. lucid dreaming has to do with awareness in real life and in dreaming. being depressed is a distraction.

yeah i do reality checks and that stuff ^.^ and thx for the answer! it'll help me! :D

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”