Does practicing REALITY CHECKS really work?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
HAGART

Does practicing REALITY CHECKS really work?

Postby HAGART » 11 Oct 2012 23:16

I use reality checks all the time in my dreams, but they are just that: checking the reality of it all.
I already get the internal dialogue, "this is probably a dream, I should check first", before doing a reality check. I check to test what I was already thinking.

I've been reading a lot about people doing reality checks all day, but never in a dream, and they are wondering why they are not lucid yet. They will set reminders for themselves, but if they don't appear in a dream, how will that remind you?

I had a dream once where I did a reality check just out of habit and it didn't work. I was just dreaming that I was doing a reality check. Nothing lucid about that. For me, every DILD I ever had already started with an idea in my head that it was probably a dream first, before checking the reality of it.

I wonder though if anyone else has ever had a Eurika Moment and realized it was a dream PURELY FROM REALITY CHECKs AND NOTHING ELSE. (without even thinking it was a dream FIRST)

I just edited this and want to add: When anybody does a reality check in reality, you are always going to ask yourself if you are dreaming before performing whatever physical test you want to perform. You can't help it, if even for a nanosecond. It is my belief that it is the very act of asking the question that is far more potent, and influential than any physical confirmation, which is just a sideshow to the true reality check: QUESTIONING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. (Of course, we need to validate it when it happens, but only after we already question it in the first place).
Last edited by HAGART on 12 Oct 2012 03:24, edited 3 times in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Dream_Wolf

Re: Does practicing REALITY CHECKS really work?

Postby Dream_Wolf » 11 Oct 2012 23:42

HAGART wrote:I use reality checks all the time in my dreams, but they are just that: checking the reality of it all.
I already get the internal dialogue, "this is probably a dream, I should check first", before doing a reality check. I check to test what I was already thinking.

I've been reading a lot about people doing reality checks all day, but never in a dream, and they are wondering why they are not lucid yet. They will set reminders for themselves, but if they don't appear in a dream, how will that remind you?

I had a dream once where I did a reality check just out of habit and it didn't work. I was just dreaming that I was doing a reality check. Nothing lucid about that. For me, every DILD I ever had already started with an idea in my head that it was probably a dream first, before checking the reality of it.

well from what i know, so ppl get a habit and do it in a lucid dream (they are also mostly known when doing an OBE or false awakening)and find out and another thing is that if there is a physical reminder (e.g. a big L on your hand) and you dont see it in a dream (or sometihng else is different, it means your also lucid dreaming and you notice it. hopefully this helped!

lucid dreamer in training,
Dream_wolf

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Oct 2012 03:01

Dream_Wolf wrote:a physical reminder (e.g. a big L on your hand) and you dont see it in a dream

The thing is, I have never had a dream in which I looked at my hands. When lucid I do sometimes, but when in a regular dream, I actually never look at my body at all. So for me, I don't see how it can help. BUT I am only me and we are all different...

SO Anyway, I was just wondering if reality checking ALONE works at all. From my experience, a regular sleep schedule that your body is accustomed to and a vivid dream recall are the two best prerequisites to lucid dreaming. Reality checking comes afterward; Just to confirm the situation when it happens.

BUT... PROVE ME WRONG. I want to know.
(this is not just a response to you, Dream_Wolf, it just ends with a challenge to all. Thanks for responding BTW.) :P There's another Canuck in town, and, like me, he is also an Ontarioterrian from Plant Earth! :ugeek:

Dream_Wolf

Postby Dream_Wolf » 12 Oct 2012 21:50

HAGART wrote:The thing is, I have never had a dream in which I looked at my hands. When lucid I do sometimes, but when in a regular dream, I actually never look at my body at all. So for me, I don't see how it can help. BUT I am only me and we are all different...

hmm.... actually also when i think about that, same here, i've actually never seen my hands or body. lol so this is where dream signs come in. look through your dream journal and highlight/underline/ect. things tht you remembered and dont exsist/or something has changed/you dont have that abilty/ect.(an look thru it every nite), thts what helps you snap on your awerness on in a non-lucid dreaming (lol i know by experiance lol last nite i remembered a dream sign and what i was doing was not in my ability lol so i was SO CLOSE to snapping on my awerness to become lucid but lol i didnt manage to because the thought passed when some told me something XD)

HAGART wrote:SO Anyway, I was just wondering if reality checking ALONE works at all. From my experience, a regular sleep schedule that your body is accustomed to and a vivid dream recall are the two best prerequisites to lucid dreaming. Reality checking comes afterward; Just to confirm the situation when it happens.

hmm... i dont really think so that they really help alone but i only guess that when you get into the habit, and you go to sleep doing a WILD/FILD/WBTB/ect. you probably have to be lucid from the begginging to use that but :/ i dunno really, just a guess

HAGART wrote: :P There's another Canuck in town, and, like me, he is also an Ontarioterrian from Plant Earth! :ugeek:

:lol: amazingness XDDD

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 13 Oct 2012 16:14

I agree, I don't think the reality check in itself will tell you you're dreaming. Imo, it is just a way to set a habitual mindset. The waking reality checks are simply getting you into the habit of always questioning your wakefulness, then you question it in your dreams too..like you said, this happens without the reality check in-dream. That then just becomes verification.

The waking reality check is kind of superfluous. I think once you are habitually skeptical that you are awake, even when you are, the physical action of the reality check is unnessesary. <---3rd time trying to spell this, I give up :P

For me, personally, I don't even recognize dream signs, per se. I've only been lucid 3 times...but in all 3, I just kinda knew I was dreaming. No one thing made it clear, just a general feeling. I'll still start out non-lucid and see bizarre, impossible things, and think nothing of it, but at some later point I'll somehow just...know. But the waking checks did help me get there, because I always question my wakefulness now, in dream and out.. I never did before.

The in-dream check does have value for me, though. It takes me from "This has just GOT to be a dream, I'm sure of it!" to "Ok, there is absolutely no doubt now...I have 7 blue fingers...definitely dreaming".

So I think the checks DO work, just not in the most obvious way. Practicing reality checks doesn't get you lucid, it just prepares your mind to get you there on it's own.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Oct 2012 17:01

HAGART wrote:I use reality checks all the time in my dreams, but they are just that: checking the reality of it all.

The idea is to establish in your mind that you really can not tell if you are dreaming and you could be dreaming at any time. Reality Checks are really about learning to ask the question. Just asking the question is what ultimately leads you to becoming lucid. Asking the question in the dream is more than half the battle. The Reality Check is what confirms what you often already know.

The thing you have to get around is the mistaken belief that many people have (including myself) that we can tell we are dreaming by evaluating the dream world. That comes from the fact that when we are awake we can tell we are not dreaming, therefore we make the incorrect assumption that when we are dreaming we can tell if we are awake. Not so.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Oct 2012 23:07

I think I answered my own question and psychosanity and lucidinthesky concur: It's the very question that you are dreaming that is important, not the stereotypical reality checking that I have been hearing others talk about in the "for beginners" forum area. (if you just go through the motions, it doesn't mean a thing and doesn't help.)

I wanted to post this there, but I then stopped myself and reminded myself that I am no expert and I actually have no basis for my idea which is: reality checking is really not that important (not as big a deal as some other habits that induce lucid dreams). If there was a checklist of things to do to become lucid, (and I bet there is), reality checking should be near the bottom of the list.

BUT, I never learned to lucid dream. It just happened and I learn about these things after the fact. I wish I could come up with the magic recipe for lucid dreaming but I can't. I still don't know why I do it. I personally think that great dream recall and being very well aquainted with your dreams and dreaming self it the BEST way to go, and if I was teaching beginners that's what I would say.

But For some it comes naturally and for others it doesn't and there is no tried and true technique that can work for everybody all the time. (and that's what makes teaching how to lucid dream so hard. It is not like learning French or Algebra.).... which are also hard, but at least your achievements are measurable and a test of your knowledge is concrete and indisputable.

EDIT: I just realized that learning to lucid dream is more like learning how to perform the perfect golf swing, or land a three-pointer with nothing but net. It's more of a sport than basic knowledge and getting better at it, makes it come more naturally. Like 'muscle memory' when it comes to hitting a home run. So in other words, one can learn, but then they have to practice.... but how do you practice something you cannot yet do.... :shock: I dunno, and that's probably why there are few lucid dream teachers and it is not mainstream.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Oct 2012 04:59

Psychosanity wrote:unnessesary. <---3rd time trying to spell this, I give up :P

I don't know who invented the word, unnessesary. It's unnessarily hard to spell. I think there might be an unnessesary "c" somewhere in the word that can easily be replaced by an 's'...

Anyway, this was just an unnessesary response to YOUR response which was anything but unessesary... it was good and in fact, dare I say,... nessesary?

(now I need to look that word up...) :lol: :lol:

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 22 Oct 2012 15:07

Yes, reality checks REALLY WORK! Now, you may also argue the semantics of what occurs first, but let me give you two real examples. Several times I thought to do an RC not because I thought I might be dreaming, but because I saw a dream sign and thought I should test just for good habit. I was so blown away the RC failed I did it over and over and eventually awoke, sure I had to be awake. 2 or 3 days ago I saw a floating feather, and did not suspect I was dreaming, but did an RC since it was slightly odd. The RC did not fail as I did not seriously test, so I assumed I was awake. This turned out to be my most real dream I ever had, even more than a lucid dream. When I awoke it was more like switching realities, not like awakening.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 24 Oct 2012 04:22

I never look at my hands. I never remember to.
I only ever ask myself "Am I Dreaming?" in waking life when I remember to. And when I want to Lucid dream that night I will lay on my back, and repeat the sentence over and over while falling asleep - I then say it in my dream and walla.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”