Reality check problem

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lol

Reality check problem

Postby lol » 13 Oct 2012 01:42

I have been doing reality checks for about a month now and I have had only one lucid dream (I got lucid without the reality check) my reality check is looking at my hands for about 10 - 15 seconds. I do my reality check when ever my brain tells me to (for example I do the reality check then i just forget about it until my brain makes me).

Am i doing something wrong?

Please help me I want to lucid dream again my first one was so awesome it felt so real.
No this is not my signature.

FantasyMind

Re: Reality check problem

Postby FantasyMind » 13 Oct 2012 15:22

The whole aim of doing reality checks is to do it frequently and effectively enough so that you occur to doing it in your dream. How often do you reality check throughout the day?
Are you dreaming?

lol

Postby lol » 13 Oct 2012 15:26

The whole aim of doing reality checks is to do it frequently and effectively enough so that you occur to doing it in your dream. How often do you reality check throughout the day?

I do a reality check about every hour for about 10 - 15 seconds.

Psychosanity

Postby Psychosanity » 13 Oct 2012 15:48

I think the effectiveness of the reality check is how you think about it, not what you do. In my opinion (and limited experience), the reality check should not be a time when you ask yourself if you are dreaming, but rather, a time when you question whether you are really awake. It sounds like the same thing, but it's not.

Don't simply ask "Am I dreaming?", then look at your hands and decide that you are not. Instead, seriously ask yourself "Am I REALLY awake?". Be skeptical about your wakefulness. Remind yourself that dreams seem absolutely real, and thus you may be dreaming at any given time...then PROVE to yourself you are awake. Until you prove it to yourself, assume you are always in a dream. (well, except for doing dangerous things, of course, don't do those until you're sure you're NOT awake :P)

When you look at your hands and count your fingers and examine the lines and everything is normal...don't stop there. Really look around at everything. Do a couple other reality checks to make sure. Think about where you were and what you were doing before you got wherever you are now.

If you get into a solid HABIT of constantly doubting you are awake, you will also have the same doubt while dreaming. It's not the reality check itself, it's the mindset. Everything is a dream until proven to be otherwise. Just my 2 cents...this is the mental change that got me lucid, I think.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2390

FantasyMind

Postby FantasyMind » 13 Oct 2012 19:23

@Psychosanity
Great guide! I'll be sure to check out ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Are you dreaming?

lol

Postby lol » 14 Oct 2012 01:08

@sychosanity

Thanks alot for your help, I'm gonna improve my reality checks with your guide!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”