Lucid dream dangers

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
reconmajor

Lucid dream dangers

Postby reconmajor » 18 Oct 2012 14:56

hi wondering if there are any dangers in lucid dreaming. like i heard u can become a vegetable. :mrgreen:

Snaggle

Re: Lucid dream dangers

Postby Snaggle » 18 Oct 2012 23:52

Very few and little chance (I really think none) of being stuck in a dream coma. Most people's LD seem to last under 15 minutes.

There are real dangers though. Someone who's psychologically facile might lose the ability to distinguish between dreams and reality and treat the real world as if it was a LD dream. If one is good enough to do WILDS one could become stuck in a LD nightmare for hours (the same as being in a world of absolute terror for hours). The terror is much more extreme than anything you'll experience in real life. It's very possible for some one to have post traumatic stress disorder after being so trapped or for the experience to trigger a real life heart attack. None of these are dangers that normal lucid dreamers have to worry about.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Re: Lucid dream dangers

Postby HAGART » 19 Oct 2012 01:55

If anything is done too much it can be addictive, but for me, lucid dreaming never lasts forever. In fact, like snaggle said, 15 minutes is about average before it ends and then may or maynot become a false awakening or a real awakening. Even my regular dreams, after recalling them, I realize they last a certain amount of time before there is a complete scene change. As if our minds only have a limited attention span. So basically you can't over do it.

Anyway, in my opinion, there is no way to over do it and become a vegetable. If someone is obsessed with it they may loose touch with waking reality and that could be bad. Post traumatic stress disorder is possible if you are stuck in a sick nightmare for hours and cannot escape. I luckily haven't had any that lasted too long and a strong, reassuring mind helps.

When lucid, the good times are twice as good, but the bad times are twice as bad. BUT Most of the time they are good, like any dreams you usually have. It is less dangerous than living life. (which seems to kill all of us in the end....) :ugeek:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”