What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

SarahDank

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby SarahDank » 25 Oct 2012 11:17

Went to a catholic school etc.
But at the moment my beliefs are up in the air.

The best thing to live by (IMO) would be to treat people the way you want to be treated.
Makes sense right?

What does not make sense is that.. If their is A God with so called.. masterful powers, why has he not intervened in desperate times?
And another good point that I heard just last night - humans where on earth.. for how damn long before Jesus appeared and all that jazz.
And.. when Jesus 'the son of the all mighty god' did appear why in the random place of Bethlehem??

I don't know.. all a bit strange to be honest.

I see Religion some what of a way to live life. It comes across as something for people who want to know there is something more after life.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Oct 2012 23:59

What does not make sense is that.. If their is A God with so called.. masterful powers, why has he not intervened in desperate times?

I like you. You are a free thinker. He has not intervened in desperate times because He is either:

A) Evil
B) Impotent
C) Non-existent

I'm an atheist and a secularist. There is no God. He never was and never will be.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

:mrgreen:

That's because there was never a Humpty Dumpty just like there is no God and thus there is no point in trying to fathom why He has never intervened when he could have.

The universe is doesn't care about anyone or anything. It is a hostile place and we can barely call it hospitable. Life emerged on Earth because it naturally could. We are here by mere chance. Our planet is like a speck of dust in space and a thin layer of gas shields us from the vacuum of space and deadly radiation.

Even this insignificant atmosphere of ours doesn't exactly provide a paradise for us. Its weather kills thousands every year. Then we have disease (not to mention genetic imperfections and cancers that affect babies, children, men and women all over the world)

Why should the young, innocent and vulnerable suffer and die? Because the universe is impersonal. Why did a kitten starve to death when there was no room for him to breastfeed? Well, the answer is in the question and it is quite obvious.

Why didn't God intervene? Because He was and continues to be absent.

God?
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Oct 2012 01:05

Awesome and hard to dispute without belief
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 26 Oct 2012 01:27

Agreed.
There is no proof of God.
The suffering that has happened, should not have happened. Nor was it deserved in many cases.

It is a hostile place and we can barely call it hospitable. Life emerged on Earth because it naturally could. We are here by mere chance. Our planet is like a speck of dust in space and a thin layer of gas shields us from the vacuum of space and deadly radiation.

Exactly what I think. We are NOTHING compared to everything in this universe.
People should understand, there is so much more out there in our universe, to the point they should laugh at the idea of God....

If he was real.. Earth would not be the same. Not at all.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Oct 2012 14:40

Absolutely.

The only thing people should concern themselves with is the mind. I'm what people could describe as an Atheistic Buddhist. In my view I take what resonates with me from what I have been exposed to and I try my best to maintain a rational mind.

I meditate because I know it is good for me and helps me to realise that the world is full of illusions, illusions that people like to believe as being true.

On one hand we have religions in the world but none of them prepare you for what's to come. We will lose everything including our own lives. Religions of the world lie to make you feel better whilst having no faith in the fact that people can accept any truth if they want to. Religion creates "spoilt brats". They tell you that there is a heaven, that you will live forever in the presence of God and blah blah... translation: don't worry, child, you will live after you die and if you are good now you will be happy forever.

What a fairytale! What bull!

This is where meditation comes in. This is where the useful part of Buddha's philosophy comes in. Meditation helps you to cultivate a strong mind and be more accepting. It helps you to realise that the mind is one big zero. A zero open to suggestions. A ground where anything can become. We came from that zero (birth) and to that zero we shall return (death).

Meditation allows you to enjoy the things that you like whilst knowing deep down that if you didn't have those things... your mind would still be serene. This is as close as you can get to the "enlightenment" that they speak of. It's not supernatural or spiritual. It is about a mind being strong. It is about a state of acceptance because there is nothing else you can do.

Ultimately, the Buddhist philosophy (pure and uncorrupted by the millennia that have elapsed since the time of Buddha) is the only teaching that will prepare you for death as we see it from a living perspective. It doesn't lie. It is an agnostic view. It seems dreadful but the truth is that we have already been in that state of nothingness - this very nothingness is what you can approach during meditation and the less you think and the stiller the mind gets, the more that bliss becomes prominent.

The mind is like a clear empty sky. At the moment we are just experiencing the clouds. We don't need a God. In saying this, there is something I agree with from the book of Genesis:

"Dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return."
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Oct 2012 19:35

I sum up my life in the simple words : I have no need to believe and no need to doubt" I live in the world of my own making and am living my dream.

LOL - that might make a good signature
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 28 Oct 2012 20:37

I think there is just too much unnecessary evil and suffering in this world for a divine or cosmic order to be out there looking out for us.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Oct 2012 23:38

I think there is just too much unnecessary evil and suffering in this world for a divine or cosmic order to be out there looking out for us

We created these words and gave them life with our social systems and beliefs, in the animal and plant world it is just life and how it is. No sense of injustice or expectations at all

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 30 Oct 2012 13:00

I asked my Partners Brother the other day (whom is a strong christian) A few questions about the whole subject -

Why has he not intervened?
Where is your proof?

And a lot more, but I can't remember them. (just think basic questions that I wanted answered) And my partner was asking questions too.
The answers he had given.. where crap (made absolutely 0 logic) But something he said, that he actually believes.. Is that God himself exists beyond Time AND Space. ............................

I don't? .. I don't Understand....
So I asked:
"If this is so, then why has he not told us of other living worlds? Or anything like that?"
His answer: (not exactly what he said)
"It may be because it is not for us to know, or for us to find out.. "

O...kayyyy.......

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 31 Oct 2012 03:38

Summerlander wrote:To me there is no God. Buddhism, uncorrupted (if you cut out the mystical BS that has been attached to some of its forms over millennia) resonates with me. I practice meditation and I truly believe that there was a Buddha who had a psychedelic experience that changed his perspective on reality forever.

He discovered, and rightly so, that it is all about the mind. It is where all experience occurs and hence why the Buddhist philosophy is the first one to acknowledge that no living creature can observe the world directly - it is all mental interpretations... in other words, what you see and feel from the world is a very elaborate hallucination that serves as your organism's best interpretation of what is going on outside. You think a fly experiences the world in the same way? Wrong!

In Buddhism, there is no God nor fantasy. I have three young children and I get them to do a simple 5 minute exercise daily. I tell them to stare at a red dot and do nothing else. I encourage them to not think of anything as they do so. I tell them to imagine that there is only the red dot and nothing else. I say that the red dot is all there is... it has no worries, no wants, doesn't desire any toys or games, doesn't think and it is free. I tell them that we were once like the red dot, before we were born... it is where we come from kids. The red dot is free, it is bliss. As you can see, we've come a long way from the red dot and we got more complicated.

They took it seriously and now, especially my eldest who is eight, gets excited about the "red dot meditation". You know what it has done to them? They seem happier. They can enjoy things and know that they have the ability to not become attached. If they find themselves getting bored or when they want something they can't have, I tell them to remember the red dot... and they smile... no tantrums!!

The cessation of being is bliss. All you troubles end. I have taught them about acceptance. One should cultivate a healthy mind to that point. It is fine to enjoy life and the things you like... but if things sometimes don't go your way, strong is he who can still remain serene.

My kids also do a lot of sharing. :D

You don't need to threaten the kids with a wrathful god or with a Santa who won't deliver if they misbehave - my two cents.

Heheh, I keep thinking it kinda sounds like mind control, but it's still pretty cool. I like it. 8-)
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Return to “Off-Topic”