Fear

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
KylePK

Fear

Postby KylePK » 31 Oct 2012 06:41

I just recently came to the realization that maybe I am struggling with lucid dreaming because I am afraid. Subconsciously. I am wondering if anyone else has discovered this in themselves, or even considered it. For me, WILD technique is very intense, and when its at its climax, it is intimidating and overwhelming. I think this has developed a kind of fear in me that is now stopping me from making the jump into the dream. I've decided to get back into regular meditation to help reprogram my subconscious to not be afraid, and I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar revelations or experiences!
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Re: Fear

Postby Peter » 31 Oct 2012 06:52

yes it is but you need to face up to it, meditating will make you good at meditation, faceing up to any fear by simply taking it head on will get you past it. harden up and take the challange :)
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Lisecila

Postby Lisecila » 31 Oct 2012 21:07

Yes, I understand you completely. I've had my first LD, but afterwards I've only had false awakenings, and dreams where I only controlled some elements. The intensity of being lucid scares me a bit, but when I think about it, What is it really to be scared of? It's only our own subconscious, and we control it ourself when we're lucid ;)
My Lucid art and more (both in Norwegian and English) : http://nattkinomaskinisten.blogspot.no/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Nov 2012 04:08

I completely understand what you mean about WILD being scary. For me it's mostly the transition, the states between waking and dream that can be frightening. I always recommend that people take it seriously and try to mentally prepare themselves. It sounds like you've been through it a lot of times so that should help. Even still, it's very intense and I've bailed out a few times myself. One of the problems is that it can be very intense and disorienting, something like tripping at times and you have to believe that you are going to be O.K. and get through it. Travelling through strange scenes with flashing imagery, weird colors, amazing sounds including perfectly reproduced and incredibly loud music, voices that popped out of the pitch black darkness, all kinds of crazy stuff. Of course once you pop into the dream it's exactly like waking life and things generally stabilize. That's just such an amazing, fantastic experience, it's like being born going from a thought state to a real physical world. Keep at it, you'll get there.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 01 Nov 2012 05:55

Peter wrote:yes it is but you need to face up to it, meditating will make you good at meditation, faceing up to any fear by simply taking it head on will get you past it. harden up and take the challange :)

Well I don't really feel fear consciously... thats why I am having a hard time facing it hahaha. I feel like its a subconscious fear that stops me from succeeding on a level that I have no control over. I have no problem facing fear head on, but I don't see a way to do that in this instance.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 01 Nov 2012 05:58

lucidinthe sky wrote: For me it's mostly the transition, the states between waking and dream that can be frightening. I always recommend that people take it seriously and try to mentally prepare themselves. It sounds like you've been through it a lot of times so that should help.

EXACTLY! That transition. I don't even get much voices, HI, colors, sounds, or other senses. But the vibrations themselves, and the feeling of being pulled out of my body, spinning and flying all over the place, is what sometimes overwhelms me to the point of instinctive fear. But I also love the feeling, I crave it every night because it is so incredible feeling, its like nothing else.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 02 Nov 2012 03:52

My WILDs never work cause I don't even know what to do when you're in the middle of it...
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 02 Nov 2012 06:32

Worldenterer1 wrote:My WILDs never work cause I don't even know what to do when you're in the middle of it...

Well. Thats pretty much the issue. From what I've heard, gathered and deduced, its like rafting down a river. (Bear with me, there is something useful here) You're just floating along, and then it slowly gets intense, and among all the crazy rush of madness and confusion and uncertainty, you have to catch that perfect window of opportunity to jump off your raft and onto a fallen log. Once you miss that window of opportunity, you fail.

That was a stretch of a metaphor.

In my own mind, the metaphor I picture is flying through a tunnel staring at a strip of colors passing beside you and then a literal window comes passing by and you have to jump through it, otherwise you just hit a wall and the window has passed, never to be seen again. Until next time that is.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 02 Nov 2012 17:06

Sometimes it's like driving on the highway at high speed, watching all the images close to window fly by. You open the window, holding up the long piece of thread in your hands. Somewhere on the side of the road is a needle...
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 03 Nov 2012 00:40

lucidinthe sky wrote:Sometimes it's like driving on the highway at high speed, watching all the images close to window fly by. You open the window, holding up the long piece of thread in your hands. Somewhere on the side of the road is a needle...

You lost me with the needle lol

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”