what do you write in your Dream Journal

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Chaosescape

what do you write in your Dream Journal

Postby Chaosescape » 08 Nov 2012 06:17

After I had my first lucid dream and I started researching lucid dreaming I kept reading that its good to make a dream journal. Ive made one, but what exactly am I supposed to record in it ? Do I just write about my Lucid dreams or should I write about any dream I have lucid or not ? So far Ive been writing about any dream ive had and all I do is basically put what happened in the dream onto the pages. Is that what am I supposed to be doing ? I never really found a clear answer on this.

Any thoughts ?
thanks
~Only those who have dared to let go... can dare to reenter~
-Meister Eckhart

AngelXdv

Re: what do you write in your Dream Journal

Postby AngelXdv » 08 Nov 2012 19:23

You should record all your dreams. Here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-journal.html

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 08 Nov 2012 22:21

I would recommend a regular recording of your dreams, but you don't have to go over the top on detail. (But if you want to get everything down, go for it!). Record the general theme, characters, any speech(I forget exact quotes very quickly!), emotions and major scene changes.
Dreaming is my drug

Seachange

Postby Seachange » 08 Nov 2012 23:34

I'm having fun with drawing scenes.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Nov 2012 03:39

I always write my dreams down in note-form on a piece of paper beside my bed when (or each time) I wake up. Just key words to remind me. And they are in order of when they happened. Sometimes I KNOW there is something that happened in between but don't know at the time so I leave a space in case I remember later. Or I might start in the middle (whatever I remember most readily), and fill in the blanks both above and below as I recall it. To distinquish the different dreams I draw a line across the bottom of each set of notes to show that it was a different dream.

I never remember the absolute beginning of a non-dream. And sometimes I have to guess that two dreams were connected because I didn't wake up in between them. I will write something like, "when I turned the corner it probably led to this next dream, yada, yada, yada..."

But I am always honest and write that I was 'not sure', or 'maybe'. And sometimes I know exactly why something occurred in my dream and most of the time it is a result of something I saw on t.v. just before going to bed or something else that happened to me or something I thought about in the previous day. I will then make a parathenses and write, (It was like when I was watching that movie last night.....). So feel free to add your own waking commentary to your dream journal instead of just cut-and-dry facts of the matter.

I think chronology is important too. Of course the order of events within a dream, but also which dream came first before the others. I don't always know, but I will put a number beside each list of dream-notes in order in which they happened. (But when writing it in the first place, don't worry about which came first... I usually remember the last and latest ones first and then go back)

I am going for the record of LONGEST POST EVER......

Ok, final, last words: Sometimes I get short flashes of a memory and simply write: "At one point..." and list a few images that I recall. Remembering dreams is best left in bed right afterward without looking at a blank paper or computer screen, but your own eye lids, and last but not least: writing out your dreams in full description on a computer or otherwise is labour-intensive and after it becomes work and no longer fun, take a break from it. I know from experience.

I have actually had lucid dreams in which I was reluctant to continue because I was worried I would have too much to write in my journal the next day.......... how sad is that?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Seachange

Postby Seachange » 13 Nov 2012 22:01

Some people use a tape recorder and then transcribe later. I've found I need to write it out fairly soon after waking. Otherwise, I start to interpret and add things that weren't there or start explaining what I think it meant instead of just the facts

Chaosescape

Postby Chaosescape » 15 Nov 2012 17:02

Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it
~Only those who have dared to let go... can dare to reenter~
-Meister Eckhart

Return to “For Beginners”