Returning to the same dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Seachange

Returning to the same dream

Postby Seachange » 05 Nov 2012 21:27

I'm pretty new to this. I posted my first LD in the forum for that topic. After that dream I felt uneasy as if there was something I should've done but didn't. I've tried intending to return to that dream, but haven't so far. Is it possible to do that, and is there any point, or will it all be worked out in another dream anyway. :?

Snaggle

Re: Returning to the same dream

Postby Snaggle » 09 Nov 2012 08:38

Most dream returns happen shortly after waking up from the dream. Returning too it otherwise is going to take a lot of incubation and visualization. If you're good at visualization you might be able to return to the same dream any time.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Seachange

Postby Seachange » 11 Nov 2012 21:17

Thanks. It seems less important to return to that same dream now since someone experienced in dream interpretation gave me some insight into what it was all about - allowing illumination and really seeing what is there, whether awake or dreaming (which is discussed somewhere else on here) and what is possible.
I have on occasions returned to the same place in a dream, (without willing it) usually a house but I understand a house often represents your self so I suppose that is not unusual.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Nov 2012 00:36

Seems you found the answer and I don't have much to add.
Snaggle wrote:Most dream returns happen shortly after waking up from the dream.

I enter the same dream environment often, but only in the same night-set-of-dreams (if there is a word for that?) So, yea, I agree.

Sometimes I wish I did something differently in a lucid dream, but just have to wait till the next time.
(Sometimes in life we wish we had done things differently, but there is no next time, so I find solace in knowing that although that dream is over, there will be a NEXT TIME. And I will be wiser then.)

I going to contradict myself:
(I just realized that in life we do get second chances to do better don't we?, but not the same scenario.) Just like dreams......
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Seachange

Postby Seachange » 12 Nov 2012 21:16

That is true. I'm pretty sure that in life and in dreams you get a second shot if you don't learn what you were supposed to. In dreams maybe the information builds up on itself in subsequent dreams. But then there are those dreams that don't exactly seem packed with insight, just experience.
With house dreams I sometimes wonder if they seem familiar because they represent part of yourself, rather than because you have actually been there before in a dream. I recently dreamed that the retaining wall outside my house took on the size and proportions of the prow of a ship and I was looking up at it from below checking for earthquake damage! (You have to live in my earthquake prone area to get that one). Once inside the house I could see the sea crashing against one side of the house and all this seemed familiar, as if I'd been there before, but I'd never recorded it so I can't be sure. I opened a door I hadn't noticed before, but outside again the scene was familiar. Have I had this dream scene before, and will it be recurring as my house dreams often seem like they are? This is where the dream journal might help. I'm trying to rehearse one task I will do if I become lucid in that scene again, as the familiar surroundings might trigger me to remember to do it.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Nov 2012 22:48

I get places in dreams that just seem so familiar as if I had been there before. If I become lucid I know what is around the corner before I even see it. But only after awakening do I realize that the whole thing was new and only FELT like it was familiar.

However, there are other times when I truly feel like I had had a similar dream in the same place before. But for the most part it is completely new and at the time, felt familiar.

I had a WILD once where I thought I failed and decided to look around my room to see if I was actually asleep or not, because that happens sometimes. I was disappointed to find that I was in my real room and I didn't succeed. I did a reality check anyway, and tried to make a blue thing on my desk move telepathically and IT DID! I got up and walked around and just somehow knew what was behind each door and around each corner as if it was my real house. After I awoke I realized how absurd it was to think it was my real house because it was completely different, but at the time it felt so familiar.

I'm not sure why that happens. I guess the part of our brains that recognizes things is triggered.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”