Do you smell in a lucid dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Do you smell in a lucid dream?

Postby HAGART » 11 Nov 2012 23:25

DO YOU SMELL IN A LUCID DREAM?
I don't mean, do you stink in a lucid dream, (that would be another topic :? ), but are your olfactory senses ever awakened?

Last night I became lucid within a dream and decided to awaken my senses and look around and place myself in the environment and cement myself there as best I could. It works quite well when I do this, but this time I tried to add a new sense. I could see things, and examine things up close... check! I could hear things and make sound myself... check! I could touch things and pick things up... check! I could put food in my mouth and taste it... check!

Then I decided to see if I could smell things. I have never done this before, and only once did I ever get a strong sense of smell in a dream, but it was non-lucid.

So I sniffed, but smelled nothing at all. I tried again and felt like I was just smelling with my real nose in reality and realizing it and thinking about it kicked me out and I woke up. And sure enough I was actually inhaling threw my nose as I awoke.

I don't have the strongest sense of smell when awake either and for most of us it is the least intense of our five main senses anyway. BUT...

Who can smell in a lucid dream? I think I could if I practice, but for some reason it is hard for me and I have actually never done it.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Snaggle

Re: Do you smell in a lucid dream?

Postby Snaggle » 12 Nov 2012 00:31

Hagart yes, smell is functional in the most vivid dreams whether lucid or not, e.g. in my first false awakening I woke up in my room, ate breakfast both tasting and smelling the food, shaved and saw my real face in the mirror, went outside to catch the bus and smelled everything that was outside. The most vivid dreams have all five senses fully functional and if you tried the typical reality tests they would not work in them, at least if they have a real life setting with nothing to tip you off that you're in a dream.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

lumencryster

Postby lumencryster » 12 Nov 2012 03:09

well it has been a while since i've showered in a dream

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 12 Nov 2012 05:26

You see... but you don't *SEE*.
You smell... but you don't *SMELL*.
You taste... but you don't *TASTE*.
etc...

All these acts you speak of are PHYSICAL.
In the non-physical you don't have a physical body...

Beyond the fact you don't have eyes, nose or a mouth... there's no LIGHT, there's no scents, there's no tastes to taste.

Everything you experience in this manner are best described as memories of how you believe things to be. That's why when you eat something, it tastes absolutely beyond perfection, because it's your best memory of what "perfect" of whatever it is you ate is. :)

Get it?
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Nov 2012 05:35

Yes and that's why I call it the playground and want to move past that level in my exploration. Those tastes and sights and smells are very strong for me but I eat simple foods and they taste great in waking life and that spills into the dreamworld
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Nov 2012 21:17

I have just smelt plants in my latest WILD. They had a minty smell. It was lovely! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Nov 2012 23:20

Smelling doesn't come naturally to me, and there is no lucid dream that I can recall where I had a sense of smell. They can be extremely realistic however, and perhaps I don't smell things often enough in waking life and that is the reason.

I think I failed too because I tried too hard. I was taking deep breaths through my nose, which is a physical motion and not just relaxing and smelling things with my mind. (like Ryan said). I was over exaggerating the motion and it wasn't smelling; it was just breathing through the nose... completely different. (I was also thinking about this yesterday: There is no need to put 'food' into your 'mouth' in a lucid dream. That is just what we are use to doing in reality. There is no reason why one cannot taste food from a distance without even 'touching it' is there?... IF one can wrap their mind around it.) The whole food-hand-mouth thing is purely physical and what we are accustomed to, but not nessesary in a dream. That would be a good challenge.......... (another good challenge would be to spell 'nescessary' correctly!)

lumencryster wrote:well it has been a while since i've showered in a dream

I'm surprised I only got ONE smart-alec response... I was expecting more!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”