I'm scared that I will never lucid dream again

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Lucid Dreamer

I'm scared that I will never lucid dream again

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 12 Nov 2012 16:22

hi all, I am pretty worried. you see, i have dream cycles, where i remember my 2-3 dreams a night. and then another part of my cycle is where i dont remember any dreams at all! I have my lucid dreams in the first part of the cycle where i remember my dreams. in the past few months, I havent been able to remember any of my dreams. i am worried about when i will start remembering my dreams again, and when i will lucid dream.
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Peter

Re: I'm scared that I will never lucid dream again

Postby Peter » 12 Nov 2012 17:52

Dont worry for a start as that will make it very hard and then just start with the simple stuff again. Telling yourself that you will remember, keeping a dream journal and using it.

We all have dry times
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Nov 2012 21:26

LOL! Don't worry! Get a dream journal and record whatever little you can remember as soon as you wake up from REM. Memory will get better. With the increase of dream recall, the higher the chances for the eventuation of the lucid state because memory processes in the brain are interrelated with consciousness (hence the reason why LaBerge's MILD is so effective). Improving dream recall will lead to dream consciousness (aka lucid dreaming). You won't lose that ability, you can only cultivate a good practice or be out of touch with it - in which case, get cracking with it, start afresh... ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 13 Nov 2012 02:51

okay. thank you. i hope i can get back into the other part of the cycle soon. i love remembering my dreams. and lucid dreaming.
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Nov 2012 00:37

That happens to me too. I have gone a while without lucid dreams, or even good regular dreams at all for that matter. Or if I am lucid it is vague and short. This happened a few months ago, but I knew why: I was drinking a lot of tea during the day. It's more potent than people realize and I was losing sleep over it. I also changed beds at that time and where I sleep can affect my sleep.

Anyway, I quit tea, got accustomed to the knew bed over time and just decide to forget about lucid dreaming and enjoy regular dreams again. I started to get excited before bed just wondering what the hell I would dream about that night because I can never predict it. I would then write it down the next day and just had fun enjoying my non-lucid dreams.

Just this morning I woke up and didn't have any memorable dreams, a few short flashes of memory out of context but nothing worth recording. So it happens, but if lucid once, I bet you will be again. I use to have a few lucid dreams per YEAR and I was actually quite happy with that. (At the time, I never discussed it and enjoyed those few I had. Now it would feel like a dryspell.)

Anyway, in conclusion. (1) Is there anything in your waking life that is stressfull or different that can affect your sleep? (2) Just enjoy your regular dreams and recall them not just in the morning but throughout the day as though they are a memory of something that ACTUALLY happened. (and in many ways it did didn't it?)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lumencryster

Postby lumencryster » 16 Nov 2012 07:37

just take some time to work on something dream related everyday. You'll get better at dreaming and eventually you will have another lucid dream, so don't worry. :)

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Nov 2012 23:04

Yeah I have gone for a long time without vivid dreams, let alone lucid dreams. Mainly because my interest in the whole subject has dropped for some reason, that and going out drinking/smoking with friends a lot has really set me back, plus early waking times for uni and work means I actually want to just sleep.

However I am slowly starting to get back in the game, the key is to prove your commitment, buy a journal and before you go to bed write the date and everything on the journal and when you wake up write down anything and everything no matter how trivial it seems, it will at least improve your recall for next time.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 20 Nov 2012 00:46

As others indicated, make sure you are not stressing over something, getting enough sleep, not watching too much tv before bed. Relax and just work on recalling dreams, not stressing over trying to LD. Journal. In otherwards, the basics.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

neuralswarm

Postby neuralswarm » 22 Nov 2012 17:04

I have the same fear and I don't think it's a helpful one. Having a hyper-intention to lucid dream kind of takes away from the effectiveness of the skills that lead to a lucid dream, it feels to me.

Try this:

Imagine there are waves of positivity rushing through your body with each breath you take.

Breathe deeply, now

Feel what it would feel like to be in a beginner's mind again, excited about the possibilities of lucid dreaming.

Imagine that feeling and imagine what it feels like to have that feeling of doing the basics and having a fascinating lucid dream.

While you're imagining that, imagine that there is nothing you can do except be in this calm-happy state, like you are free of that worry and fear. Imagine this feeling will stick with you as you state your intention to lucid dream. Imagine what it feels like to become aware inside the dream. Visualize what it's like to record your awesome dreams, and enjoy being free of the fear of not lucid dreaming.
Lucid dreaming is like candy for the mind.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 04 Dec 2012 06:17

These kinds of cycles are normal. The older you get, the more of these cycles you live through. As the song goes: "up and down. And in the end, it's only round and round, round and round."
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”