endless waiting for sleep paralysis

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
fuzzylogic

endless waiting for sleep paralysis

Postby fuzzylogic » 13 Nov 2012 18:37

I have no problem having LD using the WBTS technique but I would like to be able to go directly to LD drea state because currently I an successful only 1 time per week or so. I'm trying to use a new technique to LD via WILD and having a problem.

I just read about a method that is focused on staying very still and waiting for sleep paralysis. The description I've read eliminates any mental focusing or quieting. I like that since trying to establish a very quiet and clear mind while waiting for paralysis encourages falling to sleep which I seem to be very prone to do.

So last night I woke at 2:30 am and decided to give it a try. I held perfectly still and keep wide awake by thinking about various things that I find interesting. I stayed perfectly still and kept my eyes as immobile as I could. Of course I ignored the body signals to roll over, scratch my nose etc. I was hoping to feel the "lead blanket" sensation indicating I was becoming paralyzed but after 2 hours I finally gave up.

I felt like I was in a staring contest with my body, and my body finally won as I decided I was wasting my time.

Any suggestions?

KylePK

Re: endless waiting for sleep paralysis

Postby KylePK » 14 Nov 2012 08:27

For sleep paralysis, I say one thing.

Mind Awake, Body Asleep

Over and over. This gives me SP in about 6 to 10 minutes. Sleep paralysis doesn't equal WILD though, as I am discovering lol.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 14 Nov 2012 12:42

2 questions:

How do you attain sleep paralysis?

What do you do when you get there?

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 15 Nov 2012 19:43

Sleep paralysis happens when your body believes your mind is already asleep. Keeping your mind quiet either by thinking nothing or focusing on one mantra that will create a 'white noise' in your mind, giving the illusion of thoughtlessness, in coordination with keeping the physical body motionless, will bring on Sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is pre-dream state that insures you don't move around too much while you are dreaming. When you are under sleep paralysis, let your body go. Let it sink, float, tingle, or just don' feel it at all, whatever is natural. You can continue with your mantra, build a dreamscape, or passively observe any Hypnagogic imagery you may encounter. All of these have potential to lead you to a lucid dream, although it really depends on your own perspective. I usually go with my mantra and try to watch the HI, until the vibrations kick in and I try to ride them into the dream world.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Shade
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom - Upper East Side, Manhattan, USA

Postby Shade » 28 Nov 2012 04:29

What time did you go to sleep? Sometimes you need to work out the ideal time for you. Most would recommend 5-6 hours of sleep before your attempt.

Also dont forget that the main goal of WILD is to fall asleep! Most beginners at WILD make the mistake of thinking that they have to remain absolutely still, which is unnatural. Think about when you go to sleep normally you turn over, itch, stretch and still manage to fall asleep moments later. The same rings true for WILD.

The misconception that you have to be motionless during your attempt is wrong, completely wrong. I blame Lucidology with their silly message or being dead still and ignoring your bodies attempt at becoming comfortable. This is counter-productive. They claim that your body is testing whether you are asleep and so you should ignore it. Absolute nonsense! Go with it just turn over or whatever and you will quickly enter sleep paralysis :)

Hope this helps

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 01 Dec 2012 22:45

Interesting. Yes I was laying completely still and avoiding any eye movement. SO I was lying there wanting to turn over but didn't. So I wasn't at all comfortable.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”