No dream, just emptiness

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
KylePK

No dream, just emptiness

Postby KylePK » 03 Dec 2012 06:47

So recently I have been approaching my WILDS with more of a general awareness of my mind and body going to sleep instead of trying to consciously induce anything. Needless to say this has yielded incredible results in terms of vibrations, sleep paralysis, HI and overall familiarity with my dreams. However, there is something unsettling which I am not sure how to handle.

After vibrations slow down, my body goes to sleep completely and I believe some part of my mind does as well. I find myself lying in bed with the sensation of pure self awareness, and pure, perception-less consciousness. Its as if I have no thoughts or opinions on anything, and no perception of time. Five minutes turns into 2 hours, and I find myself simply 'being'. No steady dreams evolve, no attempt on my mind to insert my consciousness into it, even though I have allowed myself to be drawn in to my best ability. Its just like emptiness, laying there like I should be, except my consciousness isn't inside the dream world like it should be.

This is by far the most intriguing and confusing situation I have ever found myself in (dreaming and meditation wise) and I am not sure what to think about it.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

danmc

Re: No dream, just emptiness

Postby danmc » 03 Dec 2012 17:32

It's funny you use the word 'unsettling', since what you describe seems the very definition of peace and tranquility! I say bask in it!

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 03 Dec 2012 22:42

You are right, it should be peaceful and tranquil. But alas, it is not. I am all about that too, I have sought this sort of peace of mind for a long time. But it turns out, being purely conscious with nothing to focus on and no perception of time, its frightening and its also taxing. It takes mental energy to be able to maintain a state like that, I grew weary and tired rather quickly. But yeah. I definitely felt a sense of fear after I did this. I am not sure why, but its just kind of overwhelming... its like, once you get into this state, you aren't in control anymore, because that would contradict the state. That control is also hard to regain. So it made me feel almost 'stuck'.

I think it would be better to reach this state during meditation, not while trying to sleep or dream.

danmc

Postby danmc » 04 Dec 2012 16:19

Interesting. Well, you sound like you can get into the vibrations if not at will, then frequently. Maybe you can post a tip here on what you are doing to accomplish that. For me, it's always been spontaneous, and I would like to find something that works to increase the frequency (pun!)

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 05 Dec 2012 23:07

Yeah, I can induce sleep paralysis and vibrations rather frequently. I'd say about an 80% success rate average haha like last night I didn't manage. Not sure what it is for me. I've always strove to WILD so I have spent most my energy on perfecting that technique. But lately I have just been meditating on my on awareness and trying to be a conscious but silent participant of the sleeping process, and that yields better results. After SP, I tend to just let me mind wander and then I feel a change, slight, and on come the vibrations. Directing them is something I rarely do, I mostly try to just bask in them and try to let them take me where they will. Which usually is nowhere xD

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Dec 2012 02:32

I have come to realize in my opinion, that dreams are 'the chatter' in our minds that meditation is suppose to expunge. Without any external stimuli our minds experience our own thoughts in a vivid way. In other word: dreams. Sometimes we are aware of it and they are lucid. Without stray, mental thoughts that go on tangents at times, we won't dream but instead be in a meditative, point-consciousness state.

That is why, although conscious in a lucid dream, there are many things that happen that we are not in control of. Not me anyway, but I think I know why now. Everything we experience when in that state IS our mind's chatter, and stray thoughts that go on tangents and we experience them as if they were 'real'. While awake I still have them, but they are just in the background of my consciousness and at most a vague image in my mind's eye.

You and I wrote about this in another topic, and I have been in that state too briefly in the middle of the night and it was not a pleasant experience because I didn't expect it. I hope to get better aquainted with it, but it is completely different from dreaming, and there is a time and place for both. You and I need to figure out how they both work for ourselves and us.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 14 Dec 2012 03:59

HAGART wrote:I have come to realize in my opinion, that dreams are 'the chatter' in our minds that meditation is suppose to expunge. Without any external stimuli our minds experience our own thoughts in a vivid way. In other word: dreams. Sometimes we are aware of it and they are lucid. Without stray, mental thoughts that go on tangents at times, we won't dream but instead be in a meditative, point-consciousness state.

That is why, although conscious in a lucid dream, there are many things that happen that we are not in control of. Not me anyway, but I think I know why now. Everything we experience when in that state IS our mind's chatter, and stray thoughts that go on tangents and we experience them as if they were 'real'. While awake I still have them, but they are just in the background of my consciousness and at most a vague image in my mind's eye.

You and I wrote about this in another topic, and I have been in that state too briefly in the middle of the night and it was not a pleasant experience because I didn't expect it. I hope to get better aquainted with it, but it is completely different from dreaming, and there is a time and place for both. You and I need to figure out how they both work for ourselves and us.

Bingo!

And that "chatter" colours the experience you have in the non-physical.
So if you're able to end that "chatter", you'll also end any kind of reality fluctuations you experience in the non-physical and are able to have a more "pure" experience. :)

You've come to the same conclusion I have. I think it's the conclusion that everyone with enough experience comes to eventually.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”