Does sleep deprivation create SPOOKY lucid dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Does sleep deprivation create SPOOKY lucid dreams?

Postby Rebecca » 29 Nov 2012 04:31

Life with a new baby... and I'm sleep deprived as hell :?

One thing I've noticed since regaining a reasonable amount of REM sleep is my lucid dreams have become incredibly spooky. Some would call them lucid nightmares, but this is a very specific and recurring theme, which I've never come across before, it's as if my dreams have become haunted.

Three times this week, I've become lucid via false awakening set in my house and then felt an ominous presence that I would usually link to sleep paralysis visions. These are invisible ghouls invading my "dream house". They go on to rattle the baby's crib, swirl around me horror-movie style, take away my voice, and so forth. It could be a recurring dream but frustratingly I'm unable to break free even though I'm lucid.

Has anyone else observed a link between sleep deprivation and such spooky lucid experiences?

Dreamer25

Re: Does sleep deprivation create SPOOKY lucid dreams?

Postby Dreamer25 » 29 Nov 2012 08:46

Hello, Rebecka

I'de like to tell you i have listen to a speech of a lucid dreamer on youtube and he got haunted, what he did is embrace the demonen, in your case ghouls and accept them as a part of you.

If i was correct the ghouls appears to be a inner part you that you rejected from yourself.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,
Dreamer25

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Nov 2012 12:28

Hmmm...

Interesting.

As a kid I was having lucid nightmares. Albino men would come to terrorise me and I distinctly remember once that my voice failed to call for help when one of them pressed a finger on my navel. I was a child and scared at the time and unable to understand what was happening. The fact that I was scared of falling asleep might have created a cycle where the nightmares where being perpetuated and fatigue might have played a strong role.

It may be that, even though your mental faculties which make up full consciousness are intact whilst lucid dreaming, the control factor fails due to sleep deprivation. It may be that your mind is too weak at the moment and needs rest. A change in hormonal activity or an overactive amygdala may also play a role in what is going on.

While you may naturally need that most primal mechanism to be active when it comes to protecting the baby, it may also be interfering with your emotions when you lucid dream. Perhaps take a break from lucid dreaming until your child starts sleeping at night. I understand though, that you may be tired and nap frequently and this may lead to frequent lucid visits to a haunted dream world.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 02 Dec 2012 02:46

There were some studies done concerning sleep deprivation and dreaming in general, not sure where I read about them. They studied quite a few people and found that the dreams were much more vivid and intense as if the people needed to make up for lost time.

I've found that be true also and had some great lucid dreams after sleep deprivation. They were VERY real and completely mind-blowing for me. Someone on this group even went so far as to suggest sleep deprivation as a method for lucid dreaming. Actually I wouldn't argue that it works.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 02 Dec 2012 08:32

Sleep deprivation will help with vivid dreams, I spend years in that state and if it gets bad enough there are times when you are so tired you dont know if you are awake of asleep and if you get to sleep you will drop instantly into REM sleep due to the lack of rest.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 02 Dec 2012 09:39

There might or might not be. A more certain link is incubation. You're stressed, worrying about your infant 24-7 and worn out and all of this can be incubating your old hag experiences. Lucid nightmares and nightmarish HI are just a normal part of lucid dreaming, as is being out of control in them. Lucid dreaming is not all cotton candy.

The only good news is that you'll eventually gain control over your emotions with more experience which will also give you dream control, though you'll still be in lucid nightmares.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Dec 2012 02:22

Rebecca wrote:Has anyone else observed a link between sleep deprivation and such spooky lucid experiences?

I think sleep deprivation on it's own is neutral and doesn't create negative or haunting dreams. It DOES affect lucid dreams in my experience, however. It makes them more intense and real and last longer, but what happens when lucid I feel is due to other factors in the mind. One time after about a week of sleep deprivation I had a really vivid lucid dream, and it got a little spooky and I wanted to wake up, but I couldn't no matter how I tried. But the spookiness of my dream was from inexperience in my opinion. I was in and out of false awakenings and at one point I had a brush with a sleep paralysis ghoul as you put it, and at another point I actually thought I may have died since I was so immersed in an alternate reality and couldn't wake up and didn't know if I even HAD a body to wake up to at that point. But I blame that on my inexperience and not due to sleep deprivation alone.

Rebecca wrote:They go on to rattle the baby's crib,

Obviously you lost REM sleep due to the new baby and it is affecting your dreams. You don't need ME to tell you that. Perhaps when you are conscious in a dream, you feel guilty, like you shouldn't be asleep and instead should be caring for your baby. And the ghouls always represent our biggest fears don't they? Instead of messing with you, like most sleep paralysis visions, they are now targeting your newborn and taking your voice away, rendering you helpless.

I think these visions stem from an inner angst that only you can know, and the sleep deprivation only exaggerates and intensifies it.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 04 Dec 2012 07:15

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

I think now these are more closely related to sleep paralysis visions. I've only had a few vague SP visions until now - but lately it's been common and it makes me think that my lack of sleep plus baby anxiety are major triggers.

I don't recommend sleep deprivation for lucid dreaming in general, as it's a crazy way to go about it, but sometimes it can't be helped...... and yes, you do get a lot more false awakenings and vivid dreams when you are deprived of your usual REM sleep; your brain tends to quickly dive back in.

I can't stop these lucid experiences as they occurred spontaneously, but that might be a cop out anyway. I should probably heed my own advice and actually confront the ghouls next time I get the opportunity. I've confronted lucid nightmare figures before, but never SP visions. They seem a different breed.

Can anyone help me make a distinction?

What is the difference between sleep paralysis visions and the characters you might confront in a lucid dream / nightmare? Is this just a terminology thing? I'm not so sure... for me these recent dream figures have really shook things up and presented a darker side I didn't really know was there. (Aren't I jolly lucky to have gone all this time without having to confront any REAL lucid fears.... ;) )

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Dec 2012 19:56

Can anyone help me make a distinction?

What I had for a long time and I think at least a year was SP and seeing images or figures near me and pushing on me. It was classic "old hag" as described in a lot of places. Even with light or no SP I would tend to drift to a disturbed state of very light sleep that was most likely REM sleep and hold awareness. The images were always people or beings, vague and very illusive and I could never confront them as they only last a few seconds and then I am awake, shaking and scared.
It is a totally different set of images or characters that anything that appears in the dream state and all this happens before HI occurs.
It seems that as sleep deprivation builds and pressures mount the images get more disturbed and the only way to deal with it all is to accept them and as hard as it is just relax. That is how you confront and get rid of them - take away their power over you.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Dec 2012 00:09

I'm with you there on the sleep deprivation thing, Rebecca. It is not a healthy way to go about the practice. I also think you are on the money about the baby anxiety thing. I'd also like to point out that there may be a variety of causes for these lucid nightmares in different individuals. I believe things are not always black and white when we are dealing with brain states.

Another thing, folks. You can still get a high level of realism by sleeping soundly first before employing the WBTB method for WILDs. If you enter the lucid dream world and you find that the level of realism is weak, simply employ the techniques that will help you to intensify and prolong the experience, i.e. sensory amplification is one of them.

I also think that it is not the sleep deprivation that is connected to how vivid dream worlds can get. It is the level of fear. but if you are going to use fear to obtain vividity, it will come at a price: your degree of control. It is better to have a sound and rested mind and to be confident that nothing bad is going to happen.

Overall, in my opinion this "old hag syndrome" is still part of the combination of REM sleep and consciousness working in harmony which is also where our pleasant lucid dreams take place. I think Rebecca got lucky in her experience in general. I started from the dark side (it was bad as a child but not as frequent as an adult) and gradually, with her advice and the advice of other experts I worked my way into the blissful and interesting lucid dreaming. Not to say that I don't have scary sleep paralysis episodes but they are rare now and when they happen, I can quickly deal with them. I'd say Rebecca has got nothing to worry about but I surmise that at the moment it my be slightly more difficult for her to deal with this phenomenon because of her current waking life situation.

What do you guys think?
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”