Relearning

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
James

Relearning

Postby James » 05 Dec 2012 16:51

I first found out about lucid dreams nearly a year ago (Dec 17, first journal entry) but have had no real lucid dreams. Since I was two I've had very vivid dreams, some I still remember but I just can't seem to lucid dream :(. The main reasons is probably I have a tight morning schedule and wake up at about 6am most mornings to do train sport an hour before school and I stay up quite late, usually till 11.

I'm going to start over on my 1 year lucid dream anniversery (woohoo!) but until then I'll work on dream recall, to get it as sharp as I can.

Having said all of this though, when I was just starting, I could remember 3+ dreams per night, aimed for 9.5 hours of sleep a night, practiced WILD every night for 10mins before going to sleep and woke up after 6ish hours to do WBTB but got nothing. Understandably after 2 months I lost hope and now I keep getting inspiration streaks, but...

I need inspiration, and ideas why I failed the first time. Did I try too hard? Not even hard enough? :(

Help please.

(I know this is a ramble but please try to make sence of it XD)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Was it worth it?

lucidinthe sky

Re: Relearning

Postby lucidinthe sky » 05 Dec 2012 18:11

I am also at my first anniversary of lucid dreaming, but started working on it 6 months before that. Sorry you haven't had results yet, but try not to get discouraged.

I'm by no means an expert, but I can share my experiences. One of the most important things is to believe you can do it, that's hard if you haven't yet but you will be successful. The environmental factors in your life are also important to success such as amount of sleep, stress, substance use, nutrition, mental state, etc. so I would suggest taking a look at all of those. If you are not recalling any dreams, I would suggest working on that first. Most sources say that dream recall is the first step.

It's important to relax and not be stressed about it. Trying too hard is definitely a problem, but for me, not trying hard enough is a bigger problem. Most people do have to try hard to do it, but you also have to try right. And also believe. Dreams are based on what you really believe.

One thing that has worked for me is to repeat to myself before going to sleep things like "The next time I am dreaming I will realize that I'm dreaming", etc. You really can program yourself that way. Good luck and hopefully you will have one soon!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

James

Postby James » 05 Dec 2012 22:22

Thanks for replying so quickly it's nice to feel like i'm talking to someone, instead of a mail thing if you get me but...

"The environmental factors in your life are also important to success such as amount of sleep, stress, substance use, nutrition, mental state, etc."

Please expand? Like I said I'm givin myself loads of time to collect my thaughts but I want to have a good idea. I'm a scientific guy I suppose so I believe in things much eaiser if I have evidence or a logical explanation.

Was it worth it?

James

Postby James » 05 Dec 2012 22:25

And another thing to do with dream journals, without them I remember 1-2 dreams a night, 3-5 if i focus on remembering so I don't feel I need one. I know my dream patterns but also I find it a pain to wake up and write down some stuff, also I have no clue why but my dad thaught it was quite wierd I'm documenting my dreams when he found my journal so I tried to do it discreetly which adds to the annoyance. Is there a different way to do it without a journal?

Was it worth it?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 05 Dec 2012 23:12

The reason I mentioned environmental issues is because those often get neglected and they do have a lot to do with the quality of dreams and remembering them. I periodically have problems with depression, but the first thing I look at is getting the basics right: eating right, stress down, work-play balance, negative thought patterns, not too much alcohol, etc. So often after getting those right, there is no problem any more or it's reduced. Meditation is also important, anything to enhance or develop your consciousness and awareness of your surroundings. There is good exercise where you focus on experiencing a different one of each of the 5 senses each day.

While a dream journal is recommended by most of the experts, I've never used one and can usually remember 2-3 dreams per night. So it is not a requirement, even for lucid dreams. I'm 2 lucid dreams for 2 nights this week so something is working. I like to try commit myself to remember dreams as experiences which they are, and try to save the pictures mentally by visualizing them during meditation, then use that the night after to incubate. I can think about my dreams last night, 6 hours ago now and actually put myself there mentally in some of the places I was and also connect with the feelings. Practicing these kinds of things are helpful. You can also do this in meditation to make sort of a mental dream journal if writing it down is not practical. The key is you have everything already "written down" inside you, I purposely do not write things down in order to work on connecting to the memories directly.

My view is that dreams are really "simulated experiences" so the deeper and more often we are able to exeprience waking life, the deeper our experiences, memories and lucid dreams become.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

James

Postby James » 05 Dec 2012 23:39

Ok thanks you've been a great help!

Was it worth it?

Return to “For Beginners”