Does sleep deprivation create SPOOKY lucid dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Re: Does sleep deprivation create SPOOKY lucid dreams?

Postby HAGART » 06 Dec 2012 21:53

I've actually had some pleasant and vivid lucid dreams starting from the 'old hag' experience. As long as you are not COMPLETELY paralyzed you can get up and walk out of the room. It is extremely difficult however. I once felt like a huge rubber band was attached to me and the more I walked from the bed, the more I felt the tension wanted to snap me back. Or sometimes I have a really hard time walking as though I was extremely intoxicated, dizzy and just wanted to collapse to the ground and pass out. BUT if I managed to make it to the 'bedroom door' (i mean it's all an illusion but hopefully there is a door or window of somesort). If you make it out, the dream suddenly changes, like a dramatic scene change took place (That is my theory why), and then I am in full control and the fear ends and I can walk around my 'house' unfettered. Then just open a door or go through a window from there and that changes the scene again and you can lucid dream what you want from there. Or stay in your 'house' which is fun. Try having a conversation with your newborn.... that would be interesting and spiritually cathartic.

Anyway, I am familiar with that scary realm between "not-quite-awake-and-stuck-in-bed", and "full lucid dream control". There are ways out of it and always remember that your own fear creates the illusions. That is my experience anyway. I always feel the fear first before I look at the source and it is my very act of looking at it that gives it form in the first place.

But whether pleasant or not, lucid dreams are always enlightening aren't they?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Dec 2012 00:11

The fear in sleepparalysis can be hard to eradicate sometimes though, even if you are sure that nothing will happen to you. I have often found myself in those situations where I can't move, palpitations are on full throttle and my body temperature changes. I'm lying in bed and wondering why I'm irrationally scared when I know fully well that such state is one of the sources for the mythical beings of folklore and legend i.e. misinterpreted hallucinations by ancient people.

Such states during sleep stupor, as well as lucid dreaming, can certainly be enlightening - especially in this day and age where we have access to so much information and we can come here, share our experiences, and learn from each other.

During my frightful experiences, I wondered why I couldnt put a brake on my fear. This led me to do some research on possible causes and I found some satisfying answers in basic neuroscience. The experience enlightened me in that it made me aware of a mechanism that I could not control within me even though I was able to rationalise at the time - I knew the answer had to be in the brain. Then I enlightened myself with research and discovered that motor neurons are inhibited by signals from the pons during REM atonia and that the amygdala was involved in emotional states such as fear and connected to the release of adrenaline in the body - which explained the palpitations, sweat and temperature change. It was doubly enlightening in the end! Lol!

Still, it was unpleasant despite arousing my curiosity in our biology.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Dec 2012 05:25

Summerlander wrote:The fear in sleepparalysis can be hard to eradicate sometimes though, even if you are sure that nothing will happen to you

So true. Even though you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not real it can still be scary as hell... LITERALLY. I am atheist, but if I had a weaker mind I would start believing in demons! It seems like a demonic-horror movie and I once felt myself being lifted out of bed and dragged along the ceiling just like something out of the Excorsist which may be the reason for these ideas that still persist or perhaps it is an archetype in all our minds and crosses all religions and cultures....

But now when I feel it coming on, I remind myself to think happy thoughts and ignore it until the 'scene changes' into something more pleasant. (bypassing the whole problem before it takes root). But once I look at 'it' and give it a form it is VERY hard to stop it.

Although irrational, it is extremely real when it happens and hard to ignore after it has incarnated itself.

And it MUST be biology that triggers it as you say and all the imagery is just our own minds making sense of the feelings that were there to begin with for whatever reason.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”