Recurrent Dream...Please help me interpreting

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
Maria

Recurrent Dream...Please help me interpreting

Postby Maria » 18 Dec 2012 04:45

Hi,
Please help me interpreting a dream, I am having again and again since months. At first I ignored. But now every time it comes it makes me worried....

In my dream the surroundings change, but the main theme remains same... I am in a big building, which is always an educational institute. Either a university, a college or a academy (even the ones I never went in). I see the way up or the stairs. That are very narrow. Sometimes they are very dangerous. sometimes they are under construction. I have to go up. But I have a fear that the stairs may fall. I always start climbing but only 3 or 4 stairs and then I come back, thinking that it is not possible for me to go up... Other people in the institution don't bother about the stairs and don't want to go up. But some are at the upper floor too. They are happy and proud that they have managed to go up.

Well I may add a note that now a days my life is all about my studies. They are very very and very important for me.

I am a student of psychology and know the importance of a recurrent dream, but i fail to interpret this one anyway.
Looking forward to someone helping me out.
Thanks in anticipation...

Chrispy

Re: Recurrent Dream...Please help me interpreting

Postby Chrispy » 18 Dec 2012 14:53

Are you struggling with anything in your personal life that may have to do with moving forward? I'm not an expert on the subject of dream interpretation, but it sounds like you want to move forward in your life / career / whatever, but are afraid of failing or the "stairs collapsing on you."
There is no spoon.

danmc

Postby danmc » 18 Dec 2012 16:11

This seems like a straight forward anxiety dream. When we are anxious about something in waking life, something that is always rolling around in our mind, or even something that is a constant just beneath the surface, it appears again and again in our dreams.

You say "I see the way up" and "I have to go up" but "fear that the stairs may fall". I would say your anxiety stems from what happens after school. Do you feel like anxious that all the time and money spent might end up not working out? Are you dragging your feet about finishing and moving on? Do you feel like even if you get your degree, you may not be able to rise to what that paper says you are?

The stairs are a metaphor for transition. They are under construction, unfinished, and so, too, the transition is incomplete. Their being narrow and under construction makes them seem dangerous. You are afraid of the transition, of completing the transition. The dream is showing you take heart, that many people don't even try, but those who do end up happy and satisfied.

Of course, in the end, only you can interpret the dream, but if this interpretation rings a bell, I would suggest going back to all the other dreams you can remember and look at them in this light. Recurring dreams are about the same thing from different angles. As such, you can glean other facts, many of which could be very helpful in alleviating any doubts you are carrying around.

Maria

Postby Maria » 19 Dec 2012 08:23

Chrispy wrote:Are you struggling with anything in your personal life that may have to do with moving forward? I'm not an expert on the subject of dream interpretation, but it sounds like you want to move forward in your life / career / whatever, but are afraid of failing or the "stairs collapsing on you."

Thank you so much for your concern :)
Yes it is so, I am really afraid of failure, which I don't want to be at any cost. I am putting my 100 per cent in order to get pass. Now it seems as if the dream itself meant that i could fail... Is it so?

Maria

Postby Maria » 19 Dec 2012 08:38

danmc wrote:This seems like a straight forward anxiety dream. When we are anxious about something in waking life, something that is always rolling around in our mind, or even something that is a constant just beneath the surface, it appears again and again in our dreams.

You are damn right at this point. It is really so.

danmc wrote:You say "I see the way up" and "I have to go up" but "fear that the stairs may fall". I would say your anxiety stems from what happens after school. Do you feel like anxious that all the time and money spent might end up not working out? Are you dragging your feet about finishing and moving on? Do you feel like even if you get your degree, you may not be able to rise to what that paper says you are?

Well I think I need to tell you my academic background. I am striving for a competitive exam, which is the toughest in our country and offers the most prestigious services of our country. I am 21 and I have to compete quite mature and highly knowledgeable persons.
I may also add that I took the exam last year and failed by only five marks ( While I was damn sure of success). Now when I am more prepared, it seems to me I can't pass the exam. My family wants me to get admission in some university, complete my studies and take that exam at some later stage. I don't want so. But if I fail this time too, it will be a wastage of two years...

danmc wrote:The stairs are a metaphor for transition. They are under construction, unfinished, and so, too, the transition is incomplete. Their being narrow and under construction makes them seem dangerous. You are afraid of the transition, of completing the transition. The dream is showing you take heart, that many people don't even try, but those who do end up happy and satisfied.

Interestingly my friend also had the same dream last day. There are some same kinda stairs. I fell from upper floor to the lower one but escape unscathed... (I don't fell in my own dreams)

danmc wrote:Of course, in the end, only you can interpret the dream, but if this interpretation rings a bell, I would suggest going back to all the other dreams you can remember and look at them in this light. Recurring dreams are about the same thing from different angles. As such, you can glean other facts, many of which could be very helpful in alleviating any doubts you are carrying around.

Thank you so much for your time and concern. Certainly now it is easy for me to look at my dreams with different angles :)

danmc

Postby danmc » 19 Dec 2012 15:41

Maria wrote: My family wants me to get admission in some university, complete my studies and take that exam at some later stage. I don't want so. But if I fail this time too, it will be a wastage of two years...

Well, with that bit of information, other angles appear. You only mention the tension between your family's desires and yours in passing, but if it's more than that, exam the various dreams you've had in that light. Does the anxiety stem from the possibility of failing or does it stem from this tension? They want you to take the exam at "some later stage". Do the stairs embody that? Do they embody your feelings about that? If so, what do the happy people at the top mean? Play around with it, not only with this dream, but especially with all the dreams together.

Maria wrote:Now it seems as if the dream itself meant that i could fail... Is it so?

It's easy, especially when you're anxious, to believe the dreams are portending something. Highly unlikely. It's much more likely they are simply giving face to the various elements of the anxiety so that it can be laid bare for you to pick up on.

Maria

Postby Maria » 20 Dec 2012 04:34

danmc wrote:Well, with that bit of information, other angles appear. You only mention the tension between your family's desires and yours in passing, but if it's more than that, exam the various dreams you've had in that light. Does the anxiety stem from the possibility of failing or does it stem from this tension? They want you to take the exam at "some later stage". Do the stairs embody that? Do they embody your feelings about that? If so, what do the happy people at the top mean? Play around with it, not only with this dream, but especially with all the dreams together.

Thank you. I really understood the message my dreams convey.:)

danmc wrote:It's easy, especially when you're anxious, to believe the dreams are portending something. Highly unlikely. It's much more likely they are simply giving face to the various elements of the anxiety so that it can be laid bare for you to pick up on.

You mean my dreams have nothing to do with my future. Just showing my anxiety ?? or inner states and nothing else?

danmc

Postby danmc » 20 Dec 2012 05:49

Maria wrote:You mean my dreams have nothing to do with my future. Just showing my anxiety ?? or inner states and nothing else?

A better question is why do you think they do? Many people have reported precognitive dreams, but it seems far more likely that they are playing out your worries, doesn't it?

Maria

Postby Maria » 21 Dec 2012 03:56

danmc wrote:
A better question is why do you think they do? Many people have reported precognitive dreams, but it seems far more likely that they are playing out your worries, doesn't it?

hmmmmm....
Alight. Thank you sir :))

Return to “Dream Interpretation”