Am I only half lucid? How to increase dream intensity?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
buttercup90

Am I only half lucid? How to increase dream intensity?

Postby buttercup90 » 18 Dec 2012 01:29

Hello, there. I am new to lucid dreaming and have been able to have a couple where I know I am dreaming but I usually can't control anything in my dream beyond myself. I just go along with whatever the dream is about without trying to change it, even though I have a specific lucid dream in mind. I know the dream can't hurt me and I can do anything I want. I use it to fly or conjure things, but not to change the dreamscape. Somehow it doesn't cross my mind.

Also, my dreams aren't very vivid. They feel like regular dreams. Yesterday morning, I had one where I knew I was dreaming, but as soon as I feel asleep and went inside my dream, everything started to go dark. I tried to keep sleeping by reminding myself that I was dreaming, doing math in my head, staring at my palms and rubbing my hands together.

My hands felt numb. I could barely feel them. Everything around me was blurry and soon I was no longer lucid. I kept doing math and telling myself I was dreaming, but eventually I forgot. I stayed asleep, but my lucidity went away.

I usually enter my dreams by WBTB.

Also, I have ADHD. Could that be why I have trouble staying lucid? What should I do?

Any sort of help is appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

Ryan

Re: Am I only half lucid? How to increase dream intensity?

Postby Ryan » 19 Dec 2012 03:04

Well, first you need to have gained enough awareness in order to desire to increase your awareness further.

I've written an article recently on my blog which describes how *I* do it. You might find it useful... you might not. :)

http://unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/07/22/how-to-stabilize-and-strengthen-your-projection-experiences/

As for "controlling" the environment... I *THINK* that really has nothing to do with you and more about the reality frame in which the experience is happening. I think we 'dream' in many different reality frames, each with different "rules", kind of like the rules pertaining to this physical reality... here we can't fly. In another reality frame, you can use thought to fly... another one you might not. Anyway, that's my perspective.

I hope it helps.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Dec 2012 04:51

buttercup90 wrote:Hello, there. I am new to lucid dreaming and have been able to have a couple where I know I am dreaming but I usually can't control anything in my dream beyond myself. I just go along with whatever the dream is about without trying to change it, even though I have a specific lucid dream in mind.

Lucid dreaming is only being aware that you are dreaming. Controlling the dream may or may not be possible, but it has nothing to do with lucidity and/or the vividness of the dream. You can have incredibly vivid and lucid dreams where you either can't or don't control it. Personally I like being out of control in the dream, just control my own actions. I love the surprise, just going with the flow, like waking life. You never really know what is going to happen. You are controlling everything already so I think it's great just to let your subconscious mind come up with the dream scenes.

As far as how vivid and realistic the dreams are, I think a lot of it has to do with how deep the sleep is. I have had lucid dreams that were not detailed, sort of movie-like, often dark or black and white. I usually have these after a lot of sleep, they are easy to get lucid but not deep enough. Keep at it though, eventually you have the amazing real-life type of lucid dream which makes it all worth while. Touching and feeling things in a dream for me is the ultimate experience. Good luck.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

buttercup90

Postby buttercup90 » 22 Dec 2012 06:34

Ryan wrote:Well, first you need to have gained enough awareness in order to desire to increase your awareness further.

http://unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/07/22/how-to-stabilize-and-strengthen-your-projection-experiences/

I hope it helps.

Thank you so much. I only have about one lucid dream a week, but the last one I had was a little more clear. I am trying to study how things look in real life so that my dreaming brain can show them back to me in the most accurate way possible.

I read your article and it makes a lot of sense. Paying more attention to my surroundings and trying to keep myself in that reality will definitely help and isn't something I've consciously thought of before. I only pay attention to sights and feelings, sometimes also with a sense of equilibrium (I can feel it when I'm floating, or falling, or doing front flips in a dream). I should engage my other senses as well. :)

Hopefully my dreaming self remembers that, so I can try to keep myself "awake" in that reality.

In my last dream, in which I was more able to see colors and the world around me, it was much more difficult to fly. I just thought that was interesting.

buttercup90

Postby buttercup90 » 22 Dec 2012 06:39

lucidinthe sky wrote:As far as how vivid and realistic the dreams are, I think a lot of it has to do with how deep the sleep is. I have had lucid dreams that were not detailed, sort of movie-like, often dark or black and white. I usually have these after a lot of sleep, they are easy to get lucid but not deep enough. Keep at it though, eventually you have the amazing real-life type of lucid dream which makes it all worth while. Touching and feeling things in a dream for me is the ultimate experience. Good luck.

I definitely understand what you're saying. When I first started lucid dreaming (I didn't even know what it was), it was always when I was partially awake and constantly re-entering my dream. I think that this ties into what Ryan said: The more conscious we are in our real worlds, the more difficult it is to remain conscious in our dream worlds. Like trying not to fall asleep when we're really tired.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate both of you helping me out. :)

Return to “For Beginners”