I don't know if this is a disorder, but....

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Mrs. Hiddleston

I don't know if this is a disorder, but....

Postby Mrs. Hiddleston » 23 Dec 2012 21:36

Every now and then, I get this really, and by really, I mean REALLY scary night terror. I think it's a night terror, at least. Every now and then, I get this weird sensation when i'm falling asleep. It's kind of like a tingling sensation, but I tend to usually ignore it. But when I begin dreaming, that's the part that really scares me. The reason why it scares me is because my dream will be pitch black, but I can still hear noises. Not just any noises, no. I hear glass breaking, ear-splitting screams of men, women, and children, the sound of flesh being torn, gunshots, the sound of clinking knives, and a few other things I just can't explain. Once I even heard this kind of growl/snarl, and it didn't sound like any type of animal i've ever heard before. It sounded demonic, but like I said, I can't put my finger on it. It wakes me up most of the time, and my heart is racing, i'm out of breath like I just ran a 10 mile race without stopping, and sometimes i'm sweating. I'm terrified when I have this dream, and I want to know what it is, or means. Can anyone help me?
“Never give up on someone with a mental illness. When "I" is replaced by "We", illness becomes wellness.”
― Shannon L. Alder

Summerlander

Re: I don't know if this is a disorder, but....

Postby Summerlander » 24 Dec 2012 01:54

It sounds like you are having sleep paralysis and experiencing scary hallucinations when your nervous system activates your amygdala. It has a lot to do with fear and emotional states.The heart palpitations are due to adrenaline being released in your body and you may even notice a slight chance in body temperature.

Just remember that your sleep hallucinations or potential dreams cannot harm you. In fact they are quite natural in that state. It may take a little courage but try to get up in the darkness, ignore the terrifying sounds, palpate objects, rub your hands, blow on them and demand vision.

Remember, the darkness is your mental space and you are safe. No perceived mischievous creature can harm you because you are sleeping and that is your territory.

Sweet lucid dreams, madam!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Sleep Disorders”