Switching the lights off and other exercises

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Djegov

Switching the lights off and other exercises

Postby Djegov » 27 Dec 2012 20:26

I'm new here, I didn't know this website till a couple of hours ago. But I'm a Lucid dreamer since I was a teenager (I'm 36) the same year I started having sleep paralysis, so I've had a lot of experience with it.
In the early years I had now idea they were called LD, so I found internet forums on LD (one thing that really annoyed me in LD forums years ago was that many people mixed it with paranormal activity, OBE, etc, which goes totally against my point of view on the subject) and then I started researching about it and found out people perform a few exercises - or challenges - during a LD. For instance,

- Try switching the lights on/off, (I never could and I don't know anyone who could do it.)
- Looking at yourself in a mirror (for me it was a scary experience)
- Flying (for me it's much easier to jump off a window)

I've done a few other fun exercises I created for myself.
But later I started therapy, and I needed normal dreams material to discuss, so I avoided lucid dreaming since then.

What about you, have you tried any of the exercises I listed above?

danmc

Re: Switching the lights off and other exercises

Postby danmc » 28 Dec 2012 14:45

I've tried all these as well, especially the light switch thing. Lights almost never work for me. The most I get is that I can see the filament with a very weak glow that doesn't illuminate anything. Mirrors can be really trippy for sure! To the point that sometimes I'm not in the mood. Flying is pretty standard procedure for a lot of people, including myself. I do like to walk more than fly at times because that's when the details come out, but if you need to "get" somewhere fast or far off it's the way to go.

Another good one is to try and read something. It's possible, but much of the time it's nearly impossible. I have to really strain to do it, as if it's "unnatural". In one dream, each letter contained the whole of the message I was reading, and each letter inside that message also contained the whole, like a fractal all the way down to what seemed like infinity. I was so fascinated I tried to go inside it, but failed.

Djegov

Postby Djegov » 29 Dec 2012 11:45

Danmc,

Yeah, I tried flying more in the beginning, but then got bored.
And I also don't like to do the mirror thing anymore (and sometimes I would spend too much time trying to find one).
I totally try to read things, and even though it's pretty difficult (it seems the letters are moving or switching place), sometimes it works fine and I can even write things down when I wake up (most of the time they don't make much sense though).
But I agree with you, looking for details can be very interesting, like taking an object in my hands and examine it closely. Talking to people can be very reavealing as well. I used to have a list of questions (I could never remember more than three) that I made for different people in different dreams so I could compare the answers.
I haven't practiced LD much lately, but if you have any tips of interesting exercises I would be glad to hear them.
djegov.

friendoftheapes

Postby friendoftheapes » 30 Dec 2012 06:35

I've tried flying before. I could only do it one time, but when I did it was incredible. In fact, it was so incredible that the excitement knocked me out of lucidity pretty quickly. I've also tried looking in a mirror one time, but it was weird. I was in my bathroom, focusing on the details of my hand and how it looked in the dream. After that I looked in the mirror, and my reflection was standing awkwardly giving me a really strange, creepy look. While studying my reflection, I asked aloud "Am I dreaming?" and my voice slowed down lowered drastically as I spoke. After that happened, I got kinda freaked out and ran out of the bathroom. Lol.

Djegov

Postby Djegov » 30 Dec 2012 13:02

@friendoftheapes,
I totally understand the mirror thing. Once someone suggested that in a forum, so I tried as soon as I could. I was in a house, and tried to find a mirror all over, I searched everywhere and finally found it in a drawer. Then I looked at myself and, oh man, it was SCARY. It was like a blurred dark image of me, but the look in my eyes was terrifying. It was the only time I had a "bad" experience in a LD.
It's funny how similar the experiences for different people can be.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”