Don't give up on the lucid dream when the visuals go away

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Don't give up on the lucid dream when the visuals go away

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Jan 2013 18:26

This is probably nothing new for experienced Lders, but something I just learned in the last 2 LDs. Just had a long LD this morning and the video went dark, grey or black and white at least 10 times during the dream. Did the hand rubbing thing a few times, but mostly just waited and told myself that I would not wake up and that the visuals would come back. Just that was enough, the dream just kept going and going.

In the past I would just wake myself up thinking it was over, but now I am prepared for temporary lose of video so no big deal.

So don't give up if you lose visual data, you are just going through a tunnel in the road and will come out soon.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Re: Don't give up on the lucid dream when the visuals go awa

Postby HAGART » 04 Jan 2013 05:01

That's right.
I experienced my first hynogogic imagery by remaining perfectly still after a lucid dream ended and refused to wake up. I saw many images before they finally 'stabilized' and I was back in the lucid dream again. (I didn't know what happened, and I had to look it up on the internet learned about the term hypnogic imagery that very day.) It has also led to the 'vibrations' and 'buzzing sound' that people speak of, and even a few bouts of sleep paralysis, and floating out of body, but if I successfully follow through with those I am back in a lucid dream again. You may not enter this 'phase' all the time if you remain still and calm after a lucid dream, but I recommend it to others anyway just to become familiar with any sights, sounds, and feelings that can be encountered and then it doesn't unnerve you anymore. And it leads to better lucid dream control and perhaps even a WILD.

I still haven't experienced what I would consider a true WILD, because I have always had a lapse in consciousness, but being familiar with all those strange sensations is definitely good experience to have under your belt so if I ever do get to that stage from an attempted WILD I can say, "hey, I've been here before and I know what to do from here!"
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Jan 2013 06:37

Agree, its just a blank screen and the dream will come back if you stay lucid.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 04 Jan 2013 07:10

HAGART wrote:I still haven't experienced what I would consider a true WILD, because I have always had a lapse in consciousness, but being familiar with all those strange sensations is definitely good experience to have under your belt so if I ever do get to that stage from an attempted WILD I can say, "hey, I've been here before and I know what to do from here!"

Most of my WILDs have a break in consciousness too, but it doesn't matter, as long as you get in. In this morning's LD the break was so small it was hard to say it was even there. I've been trying to use the visuals to sort of "hang on to" and focus on, sort of ride them into the dream like a wave. Sounds crazy, but I think it helped this morning.

I've only had 2 WILDs where there was no break and each one only took a matter of seconds to go from fully awake to lucid dreaming physical world. I'm wondering if these were actually DEILDs since it was so fast.
I try to WILD every morning, one of my favorite parts of the day :D
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Jan 2013 05:26

Maybe I'm too hard on myself and expect too much and have already WILDed plenty of times, but just didn't know it. And that feeling of 'getting in", I know that. I once felt the familiar 'vibrations' and knew a LD was going to happen and tried to envision a sunny day and a swimming pool. I wound up in a hallway that led to a dark, gritty garage and there was a person there I never met before and the first thing I said was, "Well, at least I'm in!"

lucidinthe sky wrote:each one only took a matter of seconds to go from fully awake to lucid dreaming physical world. I'm wondering if these were actually DEILDs since it was so fast.

I don't know what a DEILD is. (I'm sure I could check, but I am lazy. I'm just not sure what the 'E' stands fore). But I have experienced something similar before. (this is probably different) BUT ANYWAY, after I awaken I realize that when I was in bed drifting into an LD with ease, it wasn't actually real. I was dreaming that I was in bed, and that is why the LD came so easily. I was in a dream state the whole time and only THOUGHT that I was in bed trying to sleep. Then the LD ends, I am in 'bed again' and then the LD starts again so easily, but only after I awaken to do I realize that the 'bed' was actually a dream bed and I was lucid dreaming the whole time.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 05 Jan 2013 07:12

Hagart wrote:I don't know what a DEILD is. (I'm sure I could check, but I am lazy. I'm just not sure what the 'E' stands fore). But I have experienced something similar before.

I just learned about this. The "E" is for "Exit" as in Dream Exit Initiated Lucid Dream. These apparently happen right when you wake up and you are exiting from a dream state, basically go right back in. There is now a tutorial for this method available on this site, but I haven't tried it.

I think this method requires great timing and probably more than a little good luck. I was sure I wasn't dreaming it though, I had definitely woken up and went back to sleep and straight into a lucid dream. Stayed lucid throughout the dream. I also had one in a swimming pool that worked the same way. Straight in from being awake, quick entry, no transition. This is definitely the best way to get in, but how to make happen more often, that's the question I'd like to answer.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Jan 2013 01:19

OK come to think of it, this has happened a few times. I can always know after the fact whether I was truly awake or not, and there have been a few times where I woke up for a moment, rolled over, and felt the 'strange sensations' (which can be anything and don't always happen), and within a few minutes I am in a deep lucid dream again. This has happened maybe 2-3 times in the past year or so. And I know for sure I woke up fully if just for a brief moment.

But There have been other times like I said before, that I think were just false awakening where I am dreaming that I am in bed and trying to lucid dream again, and of course from that state of mind, it is easy to 'go back in'.

But in either case, my mind didn't fully awaken. I can roll over and be asleep again quite easily. That 'sleep-mode' state of mind is hard to shake sometimes. It can take a full hour in the morning for me to shake 'the morning grogs'! <--- if you don't know what that is, that's my nickname for it. Grogs = grogginess. BUt isn't 'grogginess' just our minds still in sleep-mode? It's easy to go back to sleep when we are still groggy.

And I think we all know what I mean by the 'morning grogs". Our minds are different when in that state. It's hard to explain in words, but perhaps sleepiness or 'sleep-ready' but not the same as tired when going to bed in the night. It's a different type of sleepiness or tiredness. I don't know the word for it. Apparently the Eskimos have a bunch of words to describe 'snow' because it appears in so many ways, (packing snow, powder, ect. I'm in Canada in winter right now so, I thought of that analogy and I know many different states of snow, but don't have words for it) But tired or sleepy or too general to describe how I and most people feel when they are about to lie down and dream. Them come in many forms. I've gone off tangent yet again, but I got thinking..... :idea:

satopnek

Postby satopnek » 06 Jan 2013 13:37

Reading this thread, specifically the bit about video going black really paid off for me last night. My LDs would normally end with everything just ending leaving me in the dark. I would typically just open my eyes awake and do a reality check. Last night when one LD would end and turn dark I just waited and told myself that the LDs would continue, and soon they did. This LD, end to blackness, new LD went on to repeat about five more times.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 06 Jan 2013 20:33

This was a really great discovery for me so I figured there were others with the same experience. Glad this helped you get through those dark points. I was really amazed with not only the fact that the LD would continue, but the amount of additional time that was possible. Maybe even 10 times as much as the first ones where I just woke myself up figuring it was over. I've only had 2 LDs since discovering this so hoping there's a lot more longer ones to come.

LucidLeon

Postby LucidLeon » 08 Jan 2013 10:45

This really helped for me last night, I was lucid and closed my eyes and everything became black, but I remained focused and determined to keep my lucidity and next thing I knew, I woke up in a vacation house by the sea and continued the dream from there. :D

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”