I need help with WILD?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Naevius

I need help with WILD?

Postby Naevius » 06 Jan 2013 18:19

Let me start off by saying that im generally following the instructions from
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-induced-lucid-dreams.html

For the past 5 nights and preparations for the past 2 weeks or so I have been trying to lucid dream. Before actually reading into it all I did was reality checks hoping that would work until I read about WILD and MILD.

The first night I used MILD to go to sleep, and an app to wake me up 5 hours after I sleep. When I woke up, I turned the alarm off and started the WILD right away. I first meditated, then hypnagogia (which im really enjoying) then it felt like I fell asleep and instantly woke up in sleep paralysis. So technically I actually lucid dreamed right? Anyway I had stopped reading the instructions at visualization so I had no clue what to do. I tryed moving out and reminding myself I was dreaming but It wasnt working so I relaxed and fell asleep.

Next night, I did same thing as first night but visualized instead. My mind fell asleep along with my body.

Third night, I felt it strong like I was drifting into the dream world at the visualization stage. I could feel like a heavy sleep coming on but my mind was awake, but my fricking fan was ticking so loud it just pulled me right out of it. I eventually fell asleep

Fourth Night, I decide to try MILD then WBTB then WILD. Worst Idea. at the 5 hour alarm, I set timer for 15 minutes, got up did like 5 full reality checks with conclusions for each, went to the bathroom, came back and the timer went off, so I started WILD. I sat there and repeated WILD over and over until 7 am. 2 hours, WBTB made me to awake to fall asleep at all. I gave up and tried sleeping, and couldn't until probably 8 o clock and I woke up at 10. The whole day I felt like crap.

Last night, I did WBTB again. Same exact thing happened, along with my dog jumping on me right at the point that I felt the sleepiest and the most likely to actually do it. At 7, i fell asleep, and just woke up at 12.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I do the WBTB method? Should I keep trying like I did with the first 3 nights and eventually I'll get it, or is there something extra I'm missing or should try? I should mention that 2 of the nights I tried Isochronic sounds or something with my headphones in, I don't know if it helped, it didn't not help but didn't seem to help so Idk.

lucidinthe sky

Re: I need help with WILD?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 06 Jan 2013 19:42

Naevius wrote:The first night I used MILD to go to sleep, and an app to wake me up 5 hours after I sleep. When I woke up, I turned the alarm off and started the WILD right away. I first meditated, then hypnagogia (which im really enjoying) then it felt like I fell asleep and instantly woke up in sleep paralysis. So technically I actually lucid dreamed right?

Technically no. You have to be aware that you are dreaming while in the dream.

Naevius wrote:Fourth Night, I decide to try MILD then WBTB then WILD. Worst Idea. at the 5 hour alarm, I set timer for 15 minutes, got up did like 5 full reality checks with conclusions for each, went to the bathroom, came back and the timer went off, so I started WILD. I sat there and repeated WILD over and over until 7 am. 2 hours, WBTB made me to awake to fall asleep at all. I gave up and tried sleeping, and couldn't until probably 8 o clock and I woke up at 10. The whole day I felt like crap.

Sounds to me like you are doing everything right, except possibly trying too hard. The idea in WILD is keep awareness, but lose "awakeness". So there are basically 2 failures modes: You lose awareness or keep awakeness. You definitely want all or most of your failures to fall into the first category, that way you at least get decent sleep. Most of my initial WILD failures were in the second category and had the same experience as you are describing. I would even start right after bed (bad idea) and not get the first 5 hours of sleep. So would end up with an entire night of half-sleep. Ironically though, after 3 nights of that I was so sleep deprived, I managed to keep my awareness but was no longer able stay awake and had my first success. So don't give up, you are probably closer than you think!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Naevius

Re: I need help with WILD?

Postby Naevius » 06 Jan 2013 20:15

Thanks. Its good to know that at least i'm doing it right. Ill keep trying, Ill most likely get it eventually. I won't be doing the WBTB anymore though because it keeps me too awake.

Thanks again.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”