Failed cell phone use in LD, anyone with success?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Failed cell phone use in LD, anyone with success?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Dec 2012 19:33

Had a dream where I was lost and needed to call a friend to get a ride. Suddenly became lucid, but still felt this sense of needing someone to give me a ride because it was too far to walk. I went for the cell phone in my pocket, but there was only the cover for it, no phone. "Well, this is a dream," I thought. "I can just use the cover and pretend it's a phone, maybe that will work." It didn't work, then I felt pretty stupid talking into a cell phone cover although the DCs all around me didn't notice. But I wouldn't expect them too, what idiot would be talking into a cell phone cover!

Was wondering if anyone has had success using a cell phone in a dream.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Re: Failed cell phone use in LD, anyone with success?

Postby HAGART » 29 Dec 2012 23:34

I once had a rotary phone ring when I was in a lucid dream and I just had to answer to see what or who it was. I asked if it was my subconscious and the voice said, yes. Then it spoke random words without any sentence structure.... They are weird like that. (must have something to do with the language processing part of our brain, but that's another topic.)

Back to your dream.
I've never used a cell phone in my lucid dreams, but isn't it strange how trying to use just the phone cover made you feel socially awkward and stupid around the other people? Even though you were lucid and they didn't care anyway. I get that feeling a lot in lucid dreams, because it is so ingrained in my psyche not to make a fool of myself in public even though I know it is a dream it is hard to get past that idea. Every now and then, when I am convinced enough, I just make a spectacle of myself in a lucid dream and that is fun. No Consequences and no shame......

And also, when you became lucid you said you still felt the need to call to get 'home'. I get that a lot too. That feeling of needing to get 'home', but there is some sort of dilemma or obstacle in the way. It's a common dream. After I am lucid I may continue trying to get 'home' anyway but never to any avail, but then sometimes I finally realize, "hey! this is a lucid dream and there is no 'home' and there is no dream-problem or dream-dilemma I can do what I want from here!" And I break free from the dream stooper.

However, I will always continue to try to 'get home' from time to time and get absorbed into the dream scenario even though I should know better and I think that is a fact of life and the way dreams are.

It started with a cell phone inquiry and I had to go off tangent, but it's somewhat relevant nonetheless.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Dec 2012 00:39

Thanks for the interesting feedback.

HAGART wrote:I've never used a cell phone in my lucid dreams, but isn't it strange how trying to use just the phone cover made you feel socially awkward and stupid around the other people? Even though you were lucid and they didn't care anyway. I get that feeling a lot in lucid dreams, because it is so ingrained in my psyche not to make a fool of myself in public even though I know it is a dream it is hard to get past that idea.

It's kind of hard to be in this situation that you become convinced is real and then you become lucid and have to just snap into this mode that "it's only a dream". Especially when it's a recurring theme like "getting home" as you said and you become locked into the normal responses including panic. After becoming lucid, I always look around at everything and evaluate my surroundings, thinking to myself, "O.K. I'm in a dream, but this is so damn real I somehow need to at least take it seriously. Seems to be a matter of simple respect if nothing else. From my limited experience, this also seems to be important to keeping things going, stable and just like waking life which is the best part about lucid dreams for me. I can say, O.K. this is a dream and it's my playground, can do whatver I want, etc. but then things start to break down and become less real at least at this point. So if I jump off a cliff, I still want to feel the real life things like falling, air rushing by, cold, fear, etc. to get the whole experience. If you do something that isn't normal for waking life, then you set up this internal conflict and you have to be ready to come up with a new reality. So for example: My cell phone cover could have worked as a cell phone, but I lacked the "faith" and wasn't able to alter my reality frame. I haven't got there yet with my abilities, but working on it. Hopefully that makes sense.

HAGART wrote:Then it spoke random words without any sentence structure.... They are weird like that. (must have something to do with the language processing part of our brain, but that's another topic

This happened to me on my last LD. I asked a DC if he remembers his dreams and he gave these 3 very distinct categories which made sense. And then a few seconds later the thought "What the hell was he talking about?!!" It kind of reminds of those illusive thoughts that happen right before HI starts, especially when you first go to bed. They make sense, but you can't get them back or they are confusing.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Dec 2012 03:15

Those words always seem to make sense at the time. It's like it's a language we somehow know at the time, but can't discern after we awaken. We were in a state of mind and thinking beyond the scope of mere words and it is hard for our waking minds to understand... the waking self that uses 'words' to describe everything. That is one of the fundamental differences between awake and sleep in my opinion. When awake we tend to think in words and even have conversations with ourselves, but when asleep, that whole side of ourselves goes askew if not completely absent at times. :ugeek:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Jan 2013 00:53

HAGART wrote:Those words always seem to make sense at the time. It's like it's a language we somehow know at the time, but can't discern after we awaken. We were in a state of mind and thinking beyond the scope of mere words and it is hard for our waking minds to understand... the waking self that uses 'words' to describe everything. That is one of the fundamental differences between awake and sleep in my opinion. When awake we tend to think in words and even have conversations with ourselves, but when asleep, that whole side of ourselves goes askew if not completely absent at times. :ugeek:

I'm seeing this more and more. Dreams take place in a wordless dimension, one of pure experience which we then try to translate into words. A lot of times the details are fuzzy or not there because they are not essential or you can't separate it out into parts, it's just one unit so to say (hard to describe this).

Was very aware of this during a dream last night. There was a thick small book I had with tiny print in it, but was unable to read it, except that I kept trying to get to page -16 and only that page number did I ever read. You could turn the pages and have all the senses, emotions etc. of real experiences by just "being" in the book somehow. It was like a book of pure experience, but you didn't actually "do" anything, just had the "essence" of the experience, like you just existed in that experience. Don't know if that makes sense, but it was very cool. At one point I lost it and was desparate to get it back. It had made me feel so good to go to certain places in the book such as page -16. It's all very interesting.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 01 Jan 2013 04:29

I have had many dreams where something strange happens when I use a phone: Usually, when I'm answering a phone in a dream I'll try to say "hello?" but I cant seem to get it out, like I'm afraid to say it or I cant get it out. Eventually I force it out and I end up whispering "hello?" right in between waking up and still in the dream.

Unfortunately, ever since I figured it out I stopped having phone dreams so it's hard to use that as a way to become lucid
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Jan 2013 06:00

Guitar48300 wrote:I have had many dreams where something strange happens when I use a phone: Usually, when I'm answering a phone in a dream I'll try to say "hello?" but I cant seem to get it out, like I'm afraid to say it or I cant get it out. Eventually I force it out and I end up whispering "hello?" right in between waking up and still in the dream.

Unfortunately, ever since I figured it out I stopped having phone dreams so it's hard to use that as a way to become lucid

I don't have phone dreams either as far as I can remember. It's funny because the person I was trying to call just suddenly showed up in person after the failed call. Guess we don't need cells phones when telepathy is available 8-)

LukeSosa

Postby LukeSosa » 07 Jan 2013 13:11

I never tried using a phone to make a call in a dream, however I read a lot about how man-made artifacts use to fail in the dream world. I don't use to have problems with this. I remember several pre-lucid dreams and a lucid one where I used computers, and even a cellphone to read something. My notebook had the full archives and divisions my real notebook had. I did have a lot of trouble with turning a TV on.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”