WILD technique but i panicked

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dreamstudent789

WILD technique but i panicked

Postby dreamstudent789 » 06 Jan 2013 12:59

Hi there

I'm new here (18years old) and I'd like to tell you all my experience that I had yesterday evening. So yesterday I really read a lot of information about lucid dreaming and I was like "today I'll start my journey to the world of lucid dreaming!" In March 2012, I already had started a dream journal, but after about 3/4 dreams I quit, because it didn't seem to work. Now I'm back, full of confidence that someday I will have my first lucid dream :)

So yesterday evening I was ready to do the WILD technique, which I thought was not going to be easy, because I had tried it before and it didn't work. So yesterday (with confidence it was going to work) I was laying in bed with earplugs in playing isochronic tones. At a very low volume of course. I start to relax, close my eyes and start saying to myself "I'm going to have a lucid dream" and " I'll stay conscious while falling asleep". After some time (a couple of minutes) I started to feel really heavy, like my body was made of stone and I was being pushed INSIDE my bed. Also, suddenly everything became much darker within myself; like "real" black 360°. But I felt that myself (my conscious self) was still there.So on one side I was thinking "wow it's starting to work!" , but on the other hand I really started to panic...my hart started racing like crazy! I became really scared, because of how dark it became and had the feeling that if i didn't resisted, the darkness would take me and then there would be nothing to do about it if I'd let in to the feeling. So I resisted and I "woke" up again (even if i didn't actually fall a sleep).
It sounds silly but I was really panicking at the moment, because how dark it was. Like demons and other dark entities would take me...So yeah...Any ideas why this happened? And how I can cope with this darkness feeling and how I should relax?
It would be much appreciated!

(My english is not that bad, I think, I'm from Belgium so if some sentences aren't that clear or "right" please note that it is not my native language) :)

Greetz!

lucidinthe sky

Re: WILD technique but i panicked

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Jan 2013 00:18

Are you doing WILD right when you go to bed? You are unlikely to suceed right when going to sleep so, make sure to sleep for 5 hours first and find a way to wake up then. You are much more likely to succed and also I find that these sorts of disorienting/trippy experiences with WILD are much less.

But of course you still need to mentally prepare yourself for what can be fairly disorienting. There's plenty you can read and get a good idea about all of the things you may encounter with WILD. Good luck!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

dreamstudent789

Postby dreamstudent789 » 08 Jan 2013 15:51

Thank you for your reply Lucidinthe sky!
But I'm wondering what to do after my alarm goes off...should i as some people say just try to lie still and try to stay conscious and wonder off to my dream OR should i wake up and do something for a short time and then go back to bed?
Thank you :)

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Jan 2013 18:36

If you use the WBTB method which I would recommend, you stay up for a while then go back to bed. Personally, I usually just lie there in bed, but it's not as good. I think getting up for a while is actually much better and I'm going to start doing it. But if you lie there in bed, don't toss and turn if you can't back to sleep fairly soon. Get up at that point. You just get more frustrated and it's hard to get and stay comfortable. Ideally, all of your time in bed is actually sleeping, not being awake/trying to get comfortable.

So read up on WBTB method and also DEILD. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Jan 2013 05:20

Your English is better than most on this site, and if you never said it wasn't your native tongue I would never have known.

If you 'wake back to bed' I recommend getting out of bed too. Although you may feel awake after a dream in the night, you aren't. At least I am not. I am still a bit 'dreamy-headed' (who has bad english now!?... me :lol: ) And getting up and doing something helps even if it as simple as getting a glass of water or visiting the toilet. If I am too lazy to get out of bed, I find doing math problems in my head can help to. It is like the opposite of dreaming and changes your focus.

dreamstudent789 wrote:I started to feel really heavy, like my body was made of stone and I was being pushed INSIDE my bed.
I feel this often. It can be scary and makes you wake up, but the more you feel it the more you get use to it. And it can be a little different every time yet seems familiar the more you experience it.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

dreamstudent789

Postby dreamstudent789 » 09 Jan 2013 22:56

Thanks for the compliment Hagart! :)

Yeah, I'm going to try the WBTB tonight, although last night I was just too tired and fell back to sleep...
I find it hard to really NOT focus on my body when the paralysis comes up. I find everything difficult really. I even notice that i forget about the purpose of it all : getting lucid. With all the preparation and different techniques and stuff... Hopefully things get easier when time goes by :) Did you already had a lucid dream?

Greetz!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Jan 2013 22:26

dreamstudent789 wrote:Did you already had a lucid dream?

Yes I have.
Wake back to bed doesn't mean you will get a lucid dream 100%. But with me I have noticed that when I do WBTB I become lucid more often than when I don't. And I still don't WILD very often or stay conscious. I find that hard too. I just realize I am dreaming within a dream most of the time. (DILD). And I realize I am dreaming from within a dream more often after a short period of being awake. But even if not a lucid dream, I do find the regular dreams are better and more adventurous and fun and vivid. I still don't know why, but that is the way it works for me. (We all have the same brains so I bet it works the same for most people.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”