What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Summerlander

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 09 Jan 2013 03:13

And what's more, imagine the hell of living for an eternity... you'd be able to do everything you can conceive an infinite number of times, you'd get to the stage where you'd even find yourself thinking the same thoughts over and over again... "what haven't I done?"... "what haven't I thought about?" ... "I keep thinking the same things over and over..." It would be mental torture. It would be so unbearable that you would lose your mind and beg for a swift end. If you really think about it, Jacob, death is bliss if it means the cessation of everything. I'd listen to Worldenterer1 if I were you. some wise words there! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 11 Jan 2013 06:16

Summerlander, you got it!
8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 Jan 2013 13:29

You too! As a beacon of hope you have restored my faith in humanity. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 11 Jan 2013 22:07

Summerlander and Worldenterrer1 giving us their view of life,how it ends, and why not. I am not religious ,and what I am quoting is not ment to be religious, but makes me think, and wonder. -- "My divine self is immortal, never goes through birth, death,afterlife or rebirth. The more clearly I see this and understand it, the more I will find my mind and even my body in to a peculiar sort of inmortality that reflects the nature of my divine self" -- Of course once my body Erich S is dead so is my bodies brain. :)

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 13 Jan 2013 00:40

I also like Summerlander have a mother who is very deeply religious, and a father who is a complete atheist. I went to a catholic school and went to church with my mum every Sunday - I hated it because of well.. how boring it is.
And then of course being in a catholic school that is right next door to the founding church its self we went to church for classes a fair bit.
At the time it was normal, it was something that my whole life was based around.
I did completely believe in God.
For me to look back on this I feel very.. annoyed?
I only recently changed religious views but I can honestly say I do feel sorry for those who will not be able to see the truth.

I am happy with how I see things now. I think I always kind of knew.
I AM literally amazed at how people can be so in depth about god and heaven. Yes it's a damn great and wonderful thing to think of going somewhere when we die.
But no. We live and we die and we go nowhere else......

As I have written in here before and probably will write again, The Universe and Science step all over religion.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 13 Jan 2013 06:25

You're right Sarah. These few decades we get are probably the only ones well ever have, buy doesn't that make them all the more special!? That's why I feel so frustrated when I see people dedicating their entire lives to what they think will come afterwards.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Jan 2013 01:16

SarahDank wrote:I also like Summerlander have a mother who is very deeply religious, and a father who is a complete atheist. I went to a catholic school and went to church with my mum every Sunday - I hated it because of well.. how boring it is.
And then of course being in a catholic school that is right next door to the founding church its self we went to church for classes a fair bit.
At the time it was normal, it was something that my whole life was based around.
I did completely believe in God.
For me to look back on this I feel very.. annoyed?
I only recently changed religious views but I can honestly say I do feel sorry for those who will not be able to see the truth.

I am happy with how I see things now. I think I always kind of knew.
I AM literally amazed at how people can be so in depth about god and heaven. Yes it's a damn great and wonderful thing to think of going somewhere when we die.
But no. We live and we die and we go nowhere else......

As I have written in here before and probably will write again, The Universe and Science step all over religion.

You can say this again, especially the bit about science and the universe. :D

Just the latter is enough. When we look at how the universe is, if we really pay attention and take everything into consideration, we should be able to see how much of a big joke religion is. History also tells us that it isn't just a joke, it is a bad joke, and a dangerous one.

Now we have medieval mentality being revived in the Arab world. As if Christianity's inquisitors weren't enough, now we have a lot more Muslim ones, the ones we like to call Islamists, who believe in silly superstitions/dogma and are willing to do a lot worse in the name of God.

Even more frightening than the medieval ignorance they spread is what they are armed with: modern high-tech weapons. Religion needs to go. :!:

- Padmasambhava

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 18 Jan 2013 00:29

I have a question..

Religious people - Do they Believe in other civilizations throughout the universe?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 24 Jan 2013 22:08

Great question! 8-)

Not unless they've updated their credence in light of the likelihood of that being true. That is normally how it works. Someone normally makes a scientific discovery, they may doubt its veracity at first, and then, when they finally have no choice but to accept it, some of them reinterpret their outdated books to sort of keep up with the program. :lol:

Edit: By the way, are you guys following what is unfolding in North Africa? :twisted:

The situation is this...

UK's Prime Minister David Cameron announced that we have a long road of struggle with international terrorism after making a decision to cut defences. Now he aims and finds it imperative to defeat Al Qaeda-linked extremists in North Africa. Many people are appalled as we, the taxpayer, have to fund the war against global jihad.

The PM decided to support the French military intervention in Mali as he wants to defeat Islamic Jihadism. Although I agree that the latter poses a real threat to civilisation and our moral values and something must be done about this, I am very sceptical about any productive outcome emerging from thwarting and ultimately defeating President Assad's regime. The very anti-Assad rebel groups are the Islamists that Cameron has vituperated.

On top of this political debacle, Liberal Democrats leader Nick Clegg is busy changing monarchical legislation in an attempt to deal with trivial concerns in light of the current situation. Mind you, these concerns shouldn't even exist in this day and age and it is a great shame that they have to ask themselves whether or not gays should have more rights when it comes to marriage, monarchical eligibility, and whether or not a Catholic should head the Church of England. There is much ignorance among us especially in the world of politics.

And what are the reasons for the French President sending troops to Mali? He is not as incensed at Al Qaeda as our prime minister. Apart from wanting to give his people the impression that he is tough and doing his best to divert attention from his own homely mess, he looks forward to gaining gold, oil, uranium and gas for his nation with the incursion abroad.

As for the Mali situation, it is literally hell. The vast majority of the Malian populace is poor and illiterate. So much so that the current military mission is very likely to drive them to the hands of jihadists. There have already been terrorist attacks in North Africa as a result which has claimed the lives of innocent people. The ungoverned space that we will create there will become fertile ground for the Islamists to gain and secure power.

As we've seen in hostage situations, these people will massacre and execute even those whose nations haven't got involved in the war. Women and girls have been raped, the slaughter of ex-slaves is ripe, and a couple was recently stoned to death for having kids out of wedlock. All these crimes against humanity committed by the faithful who hold the Koran as a literal truth. The people, upon being free from a tyrannical regime, are very likely to engage in impractical pious acts rather than rebuilding their own country. Why? Because of their ignorance and faith.

Religion is the root cause of the problem here. Expect to see something like the torpid rebuilding of Iraq, where millions of Iraqi Shiites, upon their liberation, flagellated themselves and endured a harrowing pilgrimage to the holy city of Karbala despite the lack of essentials for a dignified living. Meanwhile, as clever looters raided facilities, the children suffered and poured blood in the name of faith as religious chanting and penitence were a top priority.

I hope those of you who linger in faith see the light (the real "light") and become secularists. Get your parents, sisters, brothers and offspring to vote for atheism in this thread too! ;)

- Padmasambhava

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 28 Jan 2013 03:33

For you summerlander
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j3VU1T8ALU

Return to “Off-Topic”