New Dreamer

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
disneylover

New Dreamer

Postby disneylover » 15 Jan 2013 01:05

Hello. I'm 14 and I'm new to the world of lucid dreaming, although I have known about it for some time now. The other night I remembered hearing about it and decided to do some research. After two nights of googling "how to lucid dream" or things like that, I discovered this website, and I must say it is very helpful. I always just thought of it as a way to get away from my stress and do something fun (where I live doesn't have very much). This website has shown me that I can use it to answer questions like "Why am I afraid of ___?" or "Why am I so stressed?" I am a christian, but I am very scared to share my faith, so I think this may be a good way to help with my spiritual life by asking myself why I am afraid to share my faith or maybe even practicing on a dream character.

However, I am new to this and I am not sure how to start a lucid dream. I tried the WILD technique last night, but it didn't work. I don't think I got to the hypnagogic state. However, I recall something like it happening when I was a little girl. I'd sometimes just close my eyes and wait for the colors to show up. I always thought of it as like my 'personal photo gallery' and pretend that they looked like different things I've seen in real life, like my parents or stuffed animals. If that is what the hypnagogic state is like then I know what to look for. Does that sound like it to you?

Also do you have any tips on how to become and stay lucid? I took a nap earlier and I knew what was going on, but I wasn't aware I was dreaming until I woke up from the nap, but I still remember my dream very well.

Thanks in advance! :D

HAGART

Re: New Dreamer

Postby HAGART » 15 Jan 2013 04:42

disneylover wrote:I'd sometimes just close my eyes and wait for the colors to show up. I always thought of it as like my 'personal photo gallery' and pretend that they looked like different things I've seen in real life, like my parents or stuffed animals. If that is what the hypnagogic state is like then I know what to look for. Does that sound like it to you?

That does sound very familiar to what I have experienced before. It may start as just colors, and then objects or people (or parents or stuffed animals). Almost like a photo gallery and it may even start to speed up and appear to animate. Then it can seem 3D and you can look left and right and it just goes from there and builds and eventually you can be in a lucid dream world.

It sounds like hypnagogia to me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

disneylover

Postby disneylover » 15 Jan 2013 05:21

That does sound very familiar to what I have experienced before. It may start as just colors, and then objects or people (or parents or stuffed animals). Almost like a photo gallery and it may even start to speed up and appear to animate. Then it can seem 3D and you can look left and right and it just goes from there and builds and eventually you can be in a lucid dream world.

It sounds like hypnagogia to me.

Thanks for the help. I never got too into it as a little kid, but the colors and shapes moved and got faster, however I never got to it being 3d because I would always open my eyes (i almost always did it during the day). Thanks again for the advice, it is really helpful! :D

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 15 Jan 2013 09:25

Hi! I'm 14 also, I haven't had my first lucid dream yet but I can still help you ;)

The hypnagogic state is when the brain unwinds for REM sleep, and it sometimes does this by displaying odd shapes and colors. For me this always happens not like looking at a photo book, but instead when I close my eyes I see swirling colors and images/ lines / shapes. Sometimes you'll see a form of hypnagogia after a long day of playing puzzles, known as the Tetris Effect. You'll see puzzle pieces or even the notorious Tetris figures if you play that. (I hate the Tetris game ;) )

Using the hypnagogic state is not completely necessary for Lucid Dreaming, As I am conducting an experiment without it, but it is one way to lucid dream.

If it's alright with you, could you PM me when you have your first Lucid Dream? Thanks very much and I hope I helped ;)
...You think that's air that you're breathing?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jan 2013 00:16

KungFuPanther wrote:Using the hypnagogic state is not completely necessary for Lucid Dreaming

I agree. I mostly DILD (realize I am dreaming from within a dream) so you don't need hypnogogia to lucid dream. And also hypnagogia doesn't always lead to a lucid dream 100% either. But at least you are aware of it and see where it takes you.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

disneylover

Postby disneylover » 16 Jan 2013 03:37

KungFuPanther wrote:Hi! I'm 14 also, I haven't had my first lucid dream yet but I can still help you ;)

The hypnagogic state is when the brain unwinds for REM sleep, and it sometimes does this by displaying odd shapes and colors. For me this always happens not like looking at a photo book, but instead when I close my eyes I see swirling colors and images/ lines / shapes. Sometimes you'll see a form of hypnagogia after a long day of playing puzzles, known as the Tetris Effect. You'll see puzzle pieces or even the notorious Tetris figures if you play that. (I hate the Tetris game ;) )

Using the hypnagogic state is not completely necessary for Lucid Dreaming, As I am conducting an experiment without it, but it is one way to lucid dream.

If it's alright with you, could you PM me when you have your first Lucid Dream? Thanks very much and I hope I helped ;)

That's how I would usually see the colors, as swirling random images. Thanks for telling me what it looks like! And I'd love to pm you about my first lucid dream. Since I started reading articles on this website I've found it easier to remember my dreams. I guess telling yourself that you will remember your dreams really helps! :) I hope to tell you my first LD soon!

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jan 2013 06:09

Since I started reading articles on this website I've found it easier to remember my dreams.

When I found out about lucid dreaming, (a week and a half ago) I found it incredibly hard to remember my dreams, when I've never had that problem! Just my luck.... :lol:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it in my Pm's, it's kind of an experiment too :geek: I'm a nerd lol.

Well, untill next time, good luck ;)

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)

disneylover

Postby disneylover » 16 Jan 2013 22:56

KungFuPanther wrote:When I found out about lucid dreaming, (a week and a half ago) I found it incredibly hard to remember my dreams, when I've never had that problem! Just my luck.... :lol:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it in my Pm's, it's kind of an experiment too :geek: I'm a nerd lol.

Well, untill next time, good luck ;)

Thanks, you too! And maybe you think to much about it? Like you try too hard to remember or something? Idk lol. I'm kind of a nerd too :)

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jan 2013 23:22

disneylover wrote:
Thanks, you too! And maybe you think to much about it? Like you try too hard to remember or something? Idk lol. I'm kind of a nerd too :)

Yeah, everyone is always saying that I'm an over-achiever. I guess it's one of the many benefits/consequences of being born in the year of the tiger. Well, that stuff isn't really based on fact, but it does apply in some areas out of pure coincidence.

Who knows? I could be having dreams about lucid dreams! that would be frustrating..... good thing I don't remember them.....

disneylover

Postby disneylover » 17 Jan 2013 21:50

KungFuPanther wrote:Yeah, everyone is always saying that I'm an over-achiever. I guess it's one of the many benefits/consequences of being born in the year of the tiger. Well, that stuff isn't really based on fact, but it does apply in some areas out of pure coincidence.

Year of the Tiger, oh yeah! *high fives* hehe. I think it's interesting to read about the Chinese calender and see how they see things. I love learning new cultures, it helps me understand other people better. I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty smart. I'm in geometry as a freshman, and where I live it is a sophmore class. but I'm not the only freshman in it of course. There is an eighth grader in it! o.O It must be weird to go back and forth between the middle school/ high school building. He always has to leave class early.

Also I am in love with pokemon. and to be honest....my little pony.... :lol:

Return to “For Beginners”