Can lucid dreams teach you kung fu?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KungFuPanther

Can lucid dreams teach you kung fu?

Postby KungFuPanther » 15 Jan 2013 19:11

I was reading through Rebecca's website (world of lucid dreaming) and she said that people can enhance their martial arts skills through lucid dreaming, and it got me wondering, can lucid dreams teach me Kung Fu?

It seems likely, after all, I have seen a lot of Bruce Lee movies (and my fair share of Chuck Norris movies :D ) And perhaps my subconscious has been taking notes, and these notes can be reviewed in Lucid Dreams?

Just a theory, I need help with this one.
...You think that's air that you're breathing?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

dreamerinmiami

Re: Can lucid dreams teach you kung fu?

Postby dreamerinmiami » 15 Jan 2013 21:38

yes most definitely. if you get to stay lucid and have enough control you can summon up bruce lee and ask for help ;)
What is your definition of reality?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Jan 2013 21:44

Another option is contacting Morheus from the Matrix, he already has a program available for kung fu.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jan 2013 01:22

I'm no kung fu master, but most martial arts tend to have a physical side and a mental side.
I think the physical side you would need to learn by practicing over and over again in real life with your real body.
But the mental side is deep and important too, and you can win or lose a battle before it even begins with just your mind. You can never train your physical body in a lucid dream (if I could, I would have six pack abs instead of my keger) :cry: But you can expose your own flaws and overcome them.

This is getting deep and isn't it an analogy for all our lives? We stop ourselves in our heads before we take the risk and succeed....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jan 2013 17:35

HAGART wrote:I'm no kung fu master, but most martial arts tend to have a physical side and a mental side.
I think the physical side you would need to learn by practicing over and over again in real life with your real body.
But the mental side is deep and important too, and you can win or lose a battle before it even begins with just your mind. You can never train your physical body in a lucid dream (if I could, I would have six pack abs instead of my keger) :cry: But you can expose your own flaws and overcome them.

This is getting deep and isn't it an analogy for all our lives? We stop ourselves in our heads before we take the risk and succeed....

You're right, some forms of martial arts (shaolin, ninjitsu) do require physical strength, but not all require a Schwartzeneger physique. Aikido is based upon the principle of using your opponents weight and momentum against him, by using the body's pivot points such as the joints. If you don't know what I'm talking about, pull up Steven Segal on youtube.

I pretty much have the physical strength down, but all I need is the technique, which is what I'm looking for in lucid dreaming. In lucid dreaming you can also build muscle memory for fighting, But you're right, it would also probably take practice in real life.

Come to think of it, could my imagination spontaneously create a form of martial arts when I'm lucid dreaming?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jan 2013 17:37

lucidinthe sky wrote:Another option is contacting Morheus from the Matrix, he already has a program available for kung fu.

I know this is pitiful, but...... :cry:

I haven't seen the Matrix!

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 18 Jan 2013 09:36

A lot of martial arts is muscle memory. You aren't always consciously choosing to block an attack, your body does it automatically because its faster and more efficient that way. That requires lots of repetitive training and experience, thats the bodily part. Strength has little to do with it. But at the same time, if you lucid dream it enough, perhaps the body will believe it has done it many times before, as the mind does. Who knows.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 18 Jan 2013 15:28

KylePK wrote:A lot of martial arts is muscle memory. You aren't always consciously choosing to block an attack, your body does it automatically because its faster and more efficient that way. That requires lots of repetitive training and experience, thats the bodily part. Strength has little to do with it. But at the same time, if you lucid dream it enough, perhaps the body will believe it has done it many times before, as the mind does. Who knows.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just did a little research and I found out that when you're lucid dreaming, brain is sending actual signals to your muscles, but your muscles don't carry out the actions because the brain has shut of chemicals like histamine that move your muscles.

So, the research said that muscle memory can be developed during Lucid dreaming. Awesome! :D

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 18 Jan 2013 22:51

KungFuPanther wrote:
KylePK wrote:A lot of martial arts is muscle memory. You aren't always consciously choosing to block an attack, your body does it automatically because its faster and more efficient that way. That requires lots of repetitive training and experience, thats the bodily part. Strength has little to do with it. But at the same time, if you lucid dream it enough, perhaps the body will believe it has done it many times before, as the mind does. Who knows.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just did a little research and I found out that when you're lucid dreaming, brain is sending actual signals to your muscles, but your muscles don't carry out the actions because the brain has shut of chemicals like histamine that move your muscles.

So, the research said that muscle memory can be developed during Lucid dreaming. Awesome! :D

Wicked!! Test it out. Teach yourself to backflip during a dream. Look up the proper gymnast or Parkour technique so that you do it correctly in your dreams. Then go outside and see if you can do one. Simple enough test, the only variable out of your direct control is fear.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Jan 2013 21:51

KylePK wrote:the only variable out of your direct control is fear.

Don't forget about gravity!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”