Help Please, Alarm + Dream Journal = HARD! >:(

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Antidote

Help Please, Alarm + Dream Journal = HARD! >:(

Postby Antidote » 13 Jan 2013 00:06

Thanks for reading this in advance ;)

Anyways so my problem is as follows; in every video/ blog I've seen talking about keeping a dream journal, they all say wake up slowly/ with as little movement as possible. but during 5 out of 7 days of the week, I'm torn awake by the piercing sound of my alarm. You see this is a problem, because by the time I get to my journal my alarm has already made me get out of bed, turn it off, and then I get start writing. This makes for quite a challenge when trying to keep a proper mind during writing.

As a side note, I've had one VERY foggy lucid dream awhile ago, and recently got back into like mad :P
however now that its school time I'm finding keep my journal fairly hard :l

Thanks for any help you could offer, and if not thanks anyways for reading ;)

HawkEye

Re: Help Please, Alarm + Dream Journal = HARD! >:(

Postby HawkEye » 15 Jan 2013 02:46

I have the same dilemma. My strategy is to try quickfire journaling during the days I don't have to get up at crazy o' clock in the morning.
2 + 2 = 5

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Jan 2013 03:43

Whenever I snap awake suddenly and leave bed and start doing something with my waking conscious mind.... it's too late. I find it very hard to remember what I was doing no less than five minutes ago in the dream no matter what I try.

If it is possible, go to bed early enough so that you have a chance to sleep in for an hour before you must wake up. (You may awaken but just lay in bed for 30-60minutes). I don't know what your schedule is like and it may take a week to be accustomed to the new sleep cycle, but one thing I know, waking up slowly and laying in bed recalling my dreams helps me remember dreams.

AND I HATE ALARMS! Don't you just want to keep a hammer next to your bed and destroy that thing! :evil:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lodestar

Postby lodestar » 15 Jan 2013 14:51

I hate alarms so much that I've learned to wake up by myself !

Instead of using an alarm, you could try to use a radio ? Maybe that awaking with music is less drastic. Just put it at reach of arm so you don't have to get up to stop it before writing in your journal.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jan 2013 00:27

lodestar wrote:I hate alarms so much that I've learned to wake up by myself !

Whenever I set an alarm to wake me up in the morning, I tend to also set an 'internal clock too'. I keep waking up every hour or so, I keep dreaming about having to wake up early, and then finally in the morning I just somehow know and I wake up about 5 minutes before it goes off.

But just knowing it was there ruined my whole night's sleep!

Sometimes it can't be helped and alarms are useful, but if an alarm is used to wake you up at the same time everyday, just change your sleep schedule so you naturally wake up at that time (minus 30 minutes or so to allow a gradual transition from sleep to wake. Even if you don't remember your dreams it can take a while for the body to wake up and most people don't realize that and think sleeping in is a waste of time, but I would say it is healthy.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Antidote

Postby Antidote » 17 Jan 2013 01:19

I think that waking up earlier will help a lot, sometimes after I'm up for about 10 minutes and I am taking shower some of it comes back to me, but I've lost a lot of dreams to that damn alarm :( I'll have to try waking up sooner though, thanks ^.^

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”