How limited is the subconscious?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jeppx

How limited is the subconscious?

Postby Jeppx » 17 Jan 2013 21:27

Hi! This is the third time I try lucid dreaming after becoming a bit frustrated the other to times after trying for weeks. Im more serious about it now and im really determined to have one soon. However, I have a couple of questions about the subconcious that still feel a bit alien to me ;)

1. How limited is the subconscious? What can I ask for? On this site ive read that you can ask questions and the answers can be thrilling and may change your perspective and such. But how limited is it? Can I for example ask: "I wish to become Lucid in dreams more often". Will it happen? Can I ask for improved fitness, health, muscle gain, getting rid of acne, finding inner peace, become more confident etc.

2. Can I somehow mess up my psycho? Can things go wrong so I become mentally ill or somehow decrease my lifequaliy if I accidentally wish or ask for the wrong things? For example, can I accidentally
( or consciously) imagine how I get less confident, or create a monster that will haunt me in my following dreams. Im really afraid that I will create a scene that is very disturbing and that I will kind of loose myself in it and affect my life negativly:( So should I be carefull what I wish for?

If anyone understand, please comment :D
Jesper, Sweden

KungFuPanther

Re: How limited is the subconscious?

Postby KungFuPanther » 17 Jan 2013 23:06

Hi Jesper, I think I can help you out on this one.

You can ask your subconscious mind during a lucid dream to show yourself how to become lucid in dreams more often, you can also ask questions such as how to find confidence and inner peace, or solve problems that you experience in the day. But it cannot give you muscle growth or remove acne, because these are not in the mind, these are physical things. You can ask your dream, however, what is the best way to work out, or what can be used to remove acne, sometimes this will work, sometimes it won't, but it never hurts to ask.

You can not drive yourself insane by lucid dreaming. If you do experience any monsters in your dreams, you can simply wish them away, or reason with them and find out why your scared of them, and what they could represent in your waking life (such as problems with your job or family or friends).

So basically, there are no bad things that can happen by lucid dreaming. As long as you remember that your waking life is reality, and lucid dreams are nothing more than your imagination and subconscious mind.
...You think that's air that you're breathing?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

Jeppx

Postby Jeppx » 17 Jan 2013 23:28

Massive Thank You for taking your time answering me! It feels good to know that im completly safe doing this and what you say seems pretty logic when I think about it. But if my mind cannot affect physical things, how can I then ask what excersises is the best for my body? How would it know? Ahhh, this is a bit mindblowing... ;) I think of it too much as a God I think. Not as a part of myself. I guess I cant find answers if they dont lay in my own subconscious. I hope things will become clearer to me when I have my first lucid dream :D

Again, thank you!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Jan 2013 23:46

Jeppx wrote:Can I for example ask: "I wish to become Lucid in dreams more often". Will it happen? Can I ask for improved fitness, health, muscle gain, getting rid of acne, finding inner peace, become more confident etc.

What you want to do is formulate the intention to have more lucid dreams and this can be done in waking life as much as in the dream world. Succeeding in such a quest depends upon intent and how confidently you intend it to happen. It cannot happen if you are wondering if you should ask your own inner self for something. It's like asking for permission and not having the courage to take initiative. Experiment and see what happens. Establish what you want deep within using desire and expectation. You won't experience more lucid dreams than you can handle for sure.

Jeppx wrote:2. Can I somehow mess up my psycho? Can things go wrong so I become mentally ill or somehow decrease my lifequaliy if I accidentally wish or ask for the wrong things? For example, can I accidentally ( or consciously) imagine how I get less confident, or create a monster that will haunt me in my following dreams.

No. Emotional states can indeed produce manifestations, for instance, fear can bring about the emergence of monsters like joy can land you in a happy place or sexual urges can give rise to realistic fantasies. But ultimately, lucid dreaming won't harm you. It is more evident that lucid dreams can provide opportunities for improvement in many areas of waking life and self-integration. I recommend that you read Stephen LaBerge's "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming". It will answer many of your questions. Any lucid dreamer who suddenly shows signs of mental illness in waking life was already prone to develop such condition. If it was evident that lucid dreaming is dangerous, the great experts would have warned us by now and many children who suffer lucid nightmares would be going crazy.

In answer to how limited the subconscious is... well, it is a very difficult question. We are all different and lead different lives. It is hard to pinpoint a limit threshold when that part of our minds can surprise us, often in waking life as we see in the case of cryptomnesia, and other states such as dreaming and hypnosis. We also unconsciously form a plethora of connections, many of which are unthinkable to our waking egos and a mishmash of thoughts can give rise to creativity or new ideas. One can certainly discover solutions to problems or be inspired in lucid dreams as we are able to communicate directly with the subconscious mind in that state.

By the way, don't worry so much about how much you've got in your subconscious reservoir. I can assure you it is a lot more than what you are consciously aware of. Let it surprise you. Remember, you know more than you think you know. You have no idea!
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 18 Jan 2013 00:25

Jeppx wrote:Massive Thank You for taking your time answering me! It feels good to know that im completly safe doing this and what you say seems pretty logic when I think about it. But if my mind cannot affect physical things, how can I then ask what excersises is the best for my body? How would it know? Ahhh, this is a bit mindblowing... ;) I think of it too much as a God I think. Not as a part of myself. I guess I cant find answers if they dont lay in my own subconscious. I hope things will become clearer to me when I have my first lucid dream :D

Again, thank you!

Anytime, I love helping people!

Your subconscious pays attention to things you might not, so maybe it will know the answer to the exersice question by recalling on memories from the past (such as seeing other people working out). It's nothing god-like, it's just that your mind is more creative than you, because it doesn't look at limits. Of course, perhaps it will not have a direct answer, or any answer at all, just because it doesn't know. That doesn't mean that is the end of the road; do a little research on working out and maybe you'll come up with something new in your Lucid Dreams.

Just make sure that any exercise you do doesn't put stress on your joints, I recommend doing calisthenics (push ups, sit ups, and squats) as apposed to weight lifting.
...You think that's air that you're breathing?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Jan 2013 00:32

Great advice! ^^ 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”